If You Hate Pattaya So Much Why Read The Forum And Post?

sgunn65

There's nothing wrong with Pattaya other than the usual Thai reluctance to actually fix the infrastructure.

Better public transport than anywhere outside Bkk, decent nightlife, affordable accomodation etc etc.

What is wrong, is that uptight people want to make it into a clone of somewhere else that they do like, and I wish they'd go there and leave Pattaya alone.

Unfortunately, the package tourist industry keeps lying to unaware tourists about the beach to try and fill all the big hotels that should never have been built in the first place. Jomptien is far more suitable, but they keep trying to invade Pattaya.

I think for the purposes of this discussion Pattaya, Jomtien and Naklua should be considered one.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because watching the Pattaya apologists get their panties in a bunch and continually try to defend the world's largest brothel entertainment district is incredibly cheap entertainment. tongue.png

There is a reason Pattaya is constantly bashed by both falang and Thais alike, and you don't see it happening to any other city in the entire country. That should be your first clue. But to each his own. One man's garbage is another man's treasure.

You've totally missed the point. The OP is confused as to why people who have never been here or hate the place continue to read and post on this forum.

For example, as a Pattaya resident I never read the Phuket, Chiang Mai or Bangkok forums. Unless there's an interesting news clipping on these forums which has been brought to my attention via email, I have no interest in these forums whatsoever.

People seem to be drawn to Pattaya. Why is this?

.... but unlike the OP, I don't really care what anyone else thinks of the place. I couldn't think of any other area in Thailand I'd rather be. If I decided it's time to leave Pattaya I'd leave Thailand. I will not apologize for Pattaya - I just like living here. For others who prefer to live in "Nakhonsomewhere" - good luck to you. We all have a choice.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

You've totally missed the point. The OP is confused as to why people who have never been here or hate the place continue to read and post on this forum.

For example, as a Pattaya resident I never read the Phuket, Chiang Mai or Bangkok forums. Unless there's an interesting news clipping on these forums which has been brought to my attention via email, I have no interest in these forums whatsoever.

It's really not hard to figure out.

Perhaps read back to my post in the thread.

They're not.

That's the problem it seems. Why were you drawn to it?

It's really not hard to figure out.

Perhaps read back to my post in the thread.

They're not.

That's the problem it seems. Why were you drawn to it?

(I haven't read every post of this thread, nor am I going to)

People are drawn to Pattaya, that's why we have this thread.

I know why people continually knock Pattaya - that wasn't the point of my comment. The OP is confused, not I - most of them are likely bored expats who live in boring rural areas who miss the excitement. Many of them probably found their partners here.

I have many reasons why I enjoy to live here, but I don't care to go into the details. (NOTE: None of them have anything to do with bargirls as I'm happily married). As I said earlier, I'm not going to apologize for enjoying life here.

Edited by tropo

I don't know if anyone has give these figures, but in relation to comment that people are drawn to Pattaya, here's what I found.

On Thaivisa, here's the number of pages for each main forum accumulated since 2003:

1. Bangkok - 340 pages

2. Phuket - 278 + 115 (news)

3. Chiang Mai - 646 + 32 (news)

4. Pattaya - 498 + 193 (news).

Chiang Mai was the surprise for me. 148 more pages more than Pattaya in the general forum.

I don't know if anyone has give these figures, but in relation to comment that people are drawn to Pattaya, here's what I found.

On Thaivisa, here's the number of pages for each main forum accumulated since 2003:

1. Bangkok - 340 pages

2. Phuket - 278 + 115 (news)

3. Chiang Mai - 646 + 32 (news)

4. Pattaya - 498 + 193 (news).

Chiang Mai was the surprise for me. 148 more pages more than Pattaya in the general forum.

Seems some people care way too much.

And that's from just looking at one post... whistling.gif

Sorry you weren't able to correlate the 'one-post' comment to the lists of categorized pages in the quote.

Never mind. I'm sure you're still more intelligent than the average Pattaya expat. Don't let it eat you up.

Came where? The 'View New Content' button? You really do need to read my first post. whistling.gif

That's your theory why the Pattaya forum is so busy and people bash Pattaya?... because of the "view new content" button?

You believe that?

It's pretty obvious that one of the busiest regional forums will offer a lot of new content, but that doesn't answer the OP's question.

On another thread about Pattaya that is running now I read this, "I see no problem with Pattaya's image. It is a shit hole dedicated to perverts and deviants of all faiths colour and nationality. Truly an international destination of global reknown as the worlds biggest brothel and formulated by the local government to facilitate the transfer of foreign exchange for service rendered." It is typical and I think what the OP was writing about.

Edited by chiangmaikelly
  • Like 1

Because watching the Pattaya apologists get their panties in a bunch and continually try to defend the world's largest brothel entertainment district is incredibly cheap entertainment. tongue.png

There is a reason Pattaya is constantly bashed by both falang and Thais alike, and you don't see it happening to any other city in the entire country. That should be your first clue. But to each his own. One man's garbage is another man's treasure.

Still doesn't answer the question...if you all live in such beautiful and interesting places why do you have time to hang-out and post all the time in the Pattaya forum...oh...sorry, I forgot the "ball and chain" won't let you move to Pattaya rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Still doesn't answer the question...if you all live in such beautiful and interesting places why do you have time to hang-out and post all the time in the Pattaya forum.

And another poster can't work out how 'forums' are presented. whistling.gif

..oh...sorry, I forgot the "ball and chain" won't let you move to Pattaya

If I felt that I wanted to move to Pattaya, what the 'ball and chain' felt would be the least of my worries. rolleyes.gif

Edited by cbrer

I have visited Pattaya maybe once a year for few days and it has clearly two faces. I love to go around less known parts of Pattaya and there you can

find really great stuff. Even Jomtien I like to discuss with locals and get latest and greatest news about things happened during last several months. And enjoy every moment even if lately there have been need to look around and think what to do and when. And I don't scream and run away if someone propose to go to walking street and drink few beers. What you see there is somehow loosing it's excitement when it's part of life around here and finally starts to be like soccer match or cricket from TV. You're partly interested what happens there but you concentrate more to talk with your friends than spinning your head. What bothers me is more and more visible rudeness compared old days, it's really clear difference when you're around turist areas compared other parts of Pattaya. No smile, I would not care less, what do you want, take your change and disappear attitude what I see it enough here where I live which has extra flavour of spitting, farting, jumping the queue, eating like porky family...you name it. It really tests your limits and definately sorts out those who cannot. But anyway, many of these problems are not home made, so when business will expands in Pattaya, so will do these side effects of turist business.

In the last couple of years, I know three guys who left because they wives couldn't handle it. One for Malaysia, one for Phuket and one back to their home country. One left for Hua Hin because they prefer the beach over there and another went to Chiang Mai because he felt it was cheaper, liked the fresh winter evenings and because he was tired of the scene in Pattaya.

I'm sure that in that time period, far more arrived than those who left...

I have been here 10 + years and i can't say i know of anyone that has left, moved to the nicer areas in the outskirts yes, but not left, i do know an awful lot that have settled here in the same space of time though.

;;Just cele3brated my 9th year in Pattaya,and still love the place,albeit,i dont go to walking st or soi 6.Plenty of things to do and one doesnt even have to see the seediness if one doesnt want to.Plenty of beautiful beaches within 5 k of pattaya too,and many amazing thai restaraunts with quality food.

Shut the door behind u Pattaya haters,and dont even start me on the beautiful Bangkok ,NOT.

"i dont go to walking st or soi 6.Plenty of things to do and one doesnt even have to see the seediness if one doesnt want to"

Exactly. If you came to stay in Pattaya for more than a couple of years and still spend most of your time parked in the bars or if every time you come here on holiday you only move from one gogo bar to another, the problem isn't Pattaya.

I suspect the complaints come from those who are envious of people who are able to live in Thailand or from those who are in Thailand but whose finances restrict them to some rundown bedsit in Bangkok. I was in Phuket once and didn't care for it, but can't see making a career out of dissing it or the people who choose to live there. I'm sure many people find it a great place to live even if it didn't appeal to me.

• Like 2

Pattaya is 50 sq. kms according to Land survey records. The warren of little Soi's running off Beach Road,1st Road, 2nd Road and the surrounds is a tiny tongue of land 3kms x 3kms. Drive around the perimeter and your dashboard will tell you just that.

Relative to this tiny tongue of land and small population the violence, accidents and other mishaps is significant. In "percentage terms" the crime rate for this tiny stretch exceeds every other ASEAN country. We can gild the lily, pretend there are stars in the sky upon which to gaze or even imagine a UFO will drop something sweet smelling over this tiny tongue of land - 3kms x 3 kms. Its all quite delusional and will remain the stuff of essay-writing.

Balance in essay-writing is important. Its something you have done well. However, comments by bloggers (which you mock) are "in response to" newspaper stories of murder & mayhem in Pattaya this past month. To ask bloggers sommenting on a news item to look at the bright side when offering comment on acts of mindless violence is quite idiotic. Your article is akin to asking bloggers who come home and discover a body on the kitchen floor to then look up at the sky and count the colors of the rainbow. I'd need to be drugged to do that.

Many love Pattaya. Nobody has a monopoly on this affection. However, many refuse to be one-eyed Pattaya diehards. Most are balanced in their views. Comments on blog sites refer to a particular new item such as death or violence. They can be blunt, succinct, sound exasperated. Not everyone turns poetic and dreamy when reading crime stories much as people may love Pattaya. In fact the acidic scathing tones of bloggers are intended to draw attention so that a clean-up (hopefully) ensues.

Your little essay reads well. I liked the prose and choice of words. However, mocking people with concerns about spiraling crime is puerile. It will hardly stifle honest, blunt comments from people on this blog site to mindless violence. Taking their comments out of context and asking them to write about a rainbow each time they are commenting on a grisly murder is quite mad.

I do know at least 4 people who have left these past six months for Bali, Bantam and Manila. I'd need to live on another planet not to know long term residents of Pattaya who move. With the ease of travel and so many markets opening up Pattaya is just one of many resorts. Importantly, there are no sacred cows.

"However, mocking people with concerns about spiraling crime is puerile."

As is attempting to elevate childish, tantrum-throwing mud-slinging to a level of adult "concern."

The pointless one-liner bashing of Pattaya serves no lofty purpose and the people who relentlessly offer the same comments in many threads regardless of the discussion that came before their contribution have no interest in the improvement of life in Pattaya or in providing a balanced discussion of the pros and cons of living here.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

Pattaya is 50 sq. kms according to Land survey records. The warren of little Soi's running off Beach Road,1st Road, 2nd Road and the surrounds is a tiny tongue of land 3kms x 3kms. Drive around the perimeter and your dashboard will tell you just that.

Relative to this tiny tongue of land and small population the violence, accidents and other mishaps is significant. In "percentage terms" the crime rate for this tiny stretch exceeds every other ASEAN country. We can gild the lily, pretend there are stars in the sky upon which to gaze or even imagine a UFO will drop something sweet smelling over this tiny tongue of land - 3kms x 3 kms. Its all quite delusional and will remain the stuff of essay-writing.

Balance in essay-writing is important. Its something you have done well. However, comments by bloggers (which you mock) are "in response to" newspaper stories of murder & mayhem in Pattaya this past month. To ask bloggers sommenting on a news item to look at the bright side when offering comment on acts of mindless violence is quite idiotic. Your article is akin to asking bloggers who come home and discover a body on the kitchen floor to then look up at the sky and count the colors of the rainbow. I'd need to be drugged to do that.

Many love Pattaya. Nobody has a monopoly on this affection. However, many refuse to be one-eyed Pattaya diehards. Most are balanced in their views. Comments on blog sites refer to a particular new item such as death or violence. They can be blunt, succinct, sound exasperated. Not everyone turns poetic and dreamy when reading crime stories much as people may love Pattaya. In fact the acidic scathing tones of bloggers are intended to draw attention so that a clean-up (hopefully) ensues.

Your little essay reads well. I liked the prose and choice of words. However, mocking people with concerns about spiraling crime is puerile. It will hardly stifle honest, blunt comments from people on this blog site to mindless violence. Taking their comments out of context and asking them to write about a rainbow each time they are commenting on a grisly murder is quite mad.

I do know at least 4 people who have left these past six months for Bali, Bantam and Manila. I'd need to live on another planet not to know long term residents of Pattaya who move. With the ease of travel and so many markets opening up Pattaya is just one of many resorts. Importantly, there are no sacred cows.

"However, mocking people with concerns about spiraling crime is puerile."

As is attempting to elevate childish, tantrum-throwing mud-slinging to a level of adult "concern."

The pointless one-liner bashing of Pattaya serves no lofty purpose and the people who relentlessly offer the same comments in many threads regardless of the discussion that came before their contribution have no interest in the improvement of life in Pattaya or in providing a balanced discussion of the pros and cons of living here.

Your correct some posts serve "no lofty purpose" given they were never intended to be "lofty" but simply call out what people thought. Also, if as you say some blogs have "a level of adult concern" whose "sameness" offends or seems childish or lacks balance - one does not have to read them !! Find a way to use the "block function" or skip our "Avatars". Nobody needs your permission to post and some of us are committed to offending dogmatic one-eyed Pattaya diehards, cos' we love the place too much. Edited by marchawkes

You wrote, "Taking their comments out of context and asking them to write about a rainbow each time they are commenting on a grisly murder is quite mad." But the OP wrote, "My bottom line is, it is good to debate the pro's and cons as well as raise awareness but, "Pattaya is disgusting, period" serves no purpose other than to increase your posting numbers and decrease your credibility."

I don't think he was asking anyone to write about a rainbow. He has a problem for those who only condemn with no explanation. For example Pooddaimai says, "There is a reason Pattaya is constantly bashed by both falang and Thais alike." That says nothing. It implies that Pooddaimai is the expert and bashing a place establishes guilt.

People who say they are "shocked" or "its terrible" in describing 3 shootings in one week (Week 4 in Dec) or recent rapes or other problems have no need to write an essay explaining - where they are coming from or what they see as solutions /remedies or how a problem can be resolved - if they don't wish to !! People will continue to "vent" online in one word or two lines. It does not follow that they "do not like" Pattaya. I vent in whatever way I am comfortable with (1 word, an essay and if they want a thesis) about my local council in my home-country along with a dozen other neighbors but still we continue to live in the suburb.

The writer asks - "If you hate Pattaya so much then why read the forum and post". The writer happily assumes that anyone who complains in monosyllables "hates Pattaya". Wrong! The writer goes on to wonder why they read the forum and post. At the end of this debate I'm sure the writer will still be left wondering - since people who vent in one word or one sentence will continue to actively participate in the way they feel comfortable and I'd love to hear them vent even in one word (hopefully it wakes up somebody in City Hall or the police). Often essays go unread and one has only to look at the white papers on Pattaya's problems gathering dust in City Hall to understand that the lovely essays on this blog do not travel far.

"Unhelpful venters" can still love Pattaya and still actively participate in a way they are comfortable with even if its just one word they blog about crimes, accidents or whatever. Many of these are business people who support a huge payroll and donate to orphanages. Who are we to decide that they need to explain each time they wish to vent.

If one word and one-line vents irritate some readers could consider a way to use the block function or skip avatars which annoy.

Edited by marchawkes

There is nothing wrong with Pattaya its like everywhere around the world it has it's up and down but as for me ? I'm coming to that part in my life where i have to see what other places has to offer and will be moving to Phuket in the coming months i have enjoyed myself these past 6 years but i'm not getting any younger these days at the age of 30 ?

Edited by Notstupid30

I don't live in Pattaya but after visiting I can honestly say I wouldn't choose to live there.

That doesn't mean I don't have a strange fascination with the place, there really is nowhere like it.

And having only visited you have never lived here, so have no idea what living here is like.

If all there was to Pattaya was Beach and 2nd Rd from Bali High to Dolphin roundabout I don't think I would like to live here. Pattaya is so much more than those tourist traps/hell holes. If you don't really know the place then slating it just shows ignorance.

Edited by RabC
  • Like 2

There's nothing wrong with Pattaya other than the usual Thai reluctance to actually fix the infrastructure.

Better public transport than anywhere outside Bkk, decent nightlife, affordable accomodation etc etc.

What is wrong, is that uptight people want to make it into a clone of somewhere else that they do like, and I wish they'd go there and leave Pattaya alone.

Unfortunately, the package tourist industry keeps lying to unaware tourists about the beach to try and fill all the big hotels that should never have been built in the first place. Jomptien is far more suitable, but they keep trying to invade Pattaya.

I think for the purposes of this discussion Pattaya, Jomtien and Naklua should be considered one.

Surely thou jest? Unless it's changed significantly in the past 18 months, Jomptien is nothing like Pattaya. More like Hua Hin with a better beach and no horse poo.

<the crime rate for this tiny stretch exceeds every other ASEAN country.>

Strangely, though I lived there and frequented the said area over many years, I only ever saw two instances of violence, and for the most part I certainly felt safer in Pattaya day or night than I did in London at any time.

Perhaps I lived in an "alternative Pattaya" in a parallel universe, as I don't recognise the "bad" place so many people talk about.

Still doesn't answer the question...if you all live in such beautiful and interesting places why do you have time to hang-out and post all the time in the Pattaya forum.

And another poster can't work out how 'forums' are presented. whistling.gif

..oh...sorry, I forgot the "ball and chain" won't let you move to Pattaya

If I felt that I wanted to move to Pattaya, what the 'ball and chain' felt would be the least of my worries. rolleyes.gif

I been thinking about this and thinking about it. What would be the most of your worries?

Surely thou jest? Unless it's changed significantly in the past 18 months, Jomptien is nothing like Pattaya. More like Hua Hin with a better beach and no horse poo.

No, I don't jest at all. They are all one and the same for the purposes of this discussion. Jomtien is merely another suburb of Pattaya.

Maybe you tell friends back at home you live in Jomtien to avoid the Pattaya stigma?... but that doesn't fool the rest of us.

Where I live I can use either the Jomtien post code of 20150, or the Pattaya code of 20260... but either way, I still live in Pattaya.