If You Hate Pattaya So Much Why Read The Forum And Post?

sgunn65

There's nothing wrong with Pattaya other than the usual Thai reluctance to actually fix the infrastructure.

Better public transport than anywhere outside Bkk, decent nightlife, affordable accomodation etc etc.

What is wrong, is that uptight people want to make it into a clone of somewhere else that they do like, and I wish they'd go there and leave Pattaya alone.

Unfortunately, the package tourist industry keeps lying to unaware tourists about the beach to try and fill all the big hotels that should never have been built in the first place. Jomptien is far more suitable, but they keep trying to invade Pattaya.

I think for the purposes of this discussion Pattaya, Jomtien and Naklua should be considered one.

Surely thou jest? Unless it's changed significantly in the past 18 months, Jomptien is nothing like Pattaya. More like Hua Hin with a better beach and no horse poo.

No, I don't jest at all. They are all one and the same for the purposes of this discussion. Jomtien is merely another suburb of Pattaya.

Maybe you tell friends back at home you live in Jomtien to avoid the Pattaya stigma?... but that doesn't fool the rest of us.

Where I live I can use either the Jomtien post code of 20150, or the Pattaya code of 20260... but either way, I still live in Pattaya.

If Jomptien had the entertainment options of Pattaya, I'd have lived there, but it's way too quiet for "naughty" boys.

People don't like Pattaya because it's a big boy's town, but that doesn't apply over the hill.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Jomptien had the entertainment options of Pattaya, I'd have lived there, but it's way too quiet for "naughty" boys.

People don't like Pattaya because it's a big boy's town, but that doesn't apply over the hill.

Fair enough - we'll just have to agree to disagree then. ....so according to you most of the Jomtien residents are "good" boys and don't go to bars then?

I'm lucky, I can say I live in Jomtien but live about 1.5km from Walking Street.

Still doesn't answer the question...if you all live in such beautiful and interesting places why do you have time to hang-out and post all the time in the Pattaya forum.

And another poster can't work out how 'forums' are presented. whistling.gif

..oh...sorry, I forgot the "ball and chain" won't let you move to Pattaya

If I felt that I wanted to move to Pattaya, what the 'ball and chain' felt would be the least of my worries. rolleyes.gif

I been thinking about this and thinking about it. What would be the most of your worries?

That I was voluntarily choosing to live in Pattaya. *shudder*

Fair enough - we'll just have to agree to disagree then. ....so according to you most of the Jomtien residents are "good" boys and don't go to bars then?

I'm lucky, I can say I live in Jomtien but live about 1.5km from Walking Street.

< most of the Jomtien residents are "good" boys and don't go to bars then?>

Not at all, there probably isn't a tourist town ( or indeed any town ) in Thailand without it's quotas of bars and barflies. It's just that the "bar scene" in Jomptien is nowhere near the excellence of Pattaya. I doubt anyone is going to write anything about how "naughty" Jomptien is, whereas the stuff written about Pattaya would surely fill several large trucks.

< most of the Jomtien residents are "good" boys and don't go to bars then?>

Not at all, there probably isn't a tourist town ( or indeed any town ) in Thailand without it's quotas of bars and barflies. It's just that the "bar scene" in Jomptien is nowhere near the excellence of Pattaya. I doubt anyone is going to write anything about how "naughty" Jomptien is, whereas the stuff written about Pattaya would surely fill several large trucks.

Let's not keep banging this drum. It's the same place as far as I'm concerned. If you want to believe different then that's your prerogative.

When friends and family ask you were you live you can say Jomtien - problem solved.

I don't live in Pattaya but after visiting I can honestly say I wouldn't choose to live there.

That doesn't mean I don't have a strange fascination with the place, there really is nowhere like it.

And having only visited you have never lived here, so have no idea what living here is like.

If all there was to Pattaya was Beach and 2nd Rd from Bali High to Dolphin roundabout I don't think I would like to live here. Pattaya is so much more than those tourist traps/hell holes. If you don't really know the place then slating it just shows ignorance.

I would never slate the place, maybe some of its residents are fair game though ;)

And another poster can't work out how 'forums' are presented. whistling.gif

..oh...sorry, I forgot the "ball and chain" won't let you move to Pattaya

If I felt that I wanted to move to Pattaya, what the 'ball and chain' felt would be the least of my worries. rolleyes.gif

I been thinking about this and thinking about it. What would be the most of your worries?

That I was voluntarily choosing to live in Pattaya. *shudder*

Because of all the sex?

^ Do you only get to have sex when you visit Pattaya? huh.png

I think you got the question wrong. You said, "That I was voluntarily choosing to live in Pattaya. *shudder*" In response to my question, " What would be the most of your worries? (moving to Pattaya)." The question had nothing whatsoever to do with my sex life. Perhaps if you would like to start a thread on my sex life it would be interesting but that would be up to you. So I repeat the question, "Why would you shudder living in Pattaya, the sex?"

Edited by chiangmaikelly

I think you got the question wrong. You said, "That I was voluntarily choosing to live in Pattaya. *shudder*" In response to my question, " What would be the most of your worries? (moving to Pattaya)." The question had nothing whatsoever to do with my sex life. Perhaps if you would like to start a thread on my sex life it would be interesting but that would be up to you. So I repeat the question, "Why would you shudder living in Pattaya, the sex?"

"Why would you shudder living in Pattaya, the sex?"

You're hilariously confused. Never mind. I'm sure that someone who cares more than me will explain what the original sentence means. :cheesy:

Well done - couldn't have put it better myself thumbsup.gifwai2.gif

The place is a cess pit , prostitution is illegal ( ha ha ha ) really corrupt town hall, police . and on and on and on. If you you like this enviroment good luck to you lots of nicer places to live.

The place is a cess pit , prostitution is illegal ( ha ha ha ) really corrupt town hall, police . and on and on and on. If you you like this environment good luck to you lots of nicer places to live.

You have to wonder a little bit about the motives of people who move there.

Questionable at best. :(

Tropo's obsession reaches another level.... I'm not surprised.

My guess is you live in some very boring rural town and fantasize about Pattaya... and then make excuses that the "new content list" forces you to read and post here.

You're hilariously confused. Never mind. I'm sure that someone who cares more than me will explain what the original sentence means. cheesy.gif

Why can't you answer a simple question. You said you would shudder to live in Pattaya. I asked why would you shudder to live in Pattaya?

The place is a cess pit , prostitution is illegal ( ha ha ha ) really corrupt town hall, police . and on and on and on. If you you like this enviroment good luck to you lots of nicer places to live.

Fair enough - name one ?

And let's see if it offers:

[1] Fantastic, world-class nightlife.

[2] Beaches to while away your days on.

[3] As much swimming in the sea and public pools as anyone could wish for.

[4] Several multiplex cinemas.

[5] Range of gym's at all price levels (please come back CAWOW sad.png ).

[6] Kippers for breakfast (Trop Berts),

[7] Amazing range of eating-out options from almost every corner of the world (though still looking for chòu dòufu).

[8] Number of English language bookshops - first and second-hand.

[9] Great, and incredibly cheap, street food.

[10] Range of public transportation options, starting at 10 THB.

[11] Diverse range of expats and visitors.

[12] Proximity to a major international airport.

[13] Golf courses.

[14] Places where you can have a sit down and a natter in the afternoon, watch the world go by and have a beer for 30-50 baht.

[15] Range of accommodation options at all price points.

[16] Great shopping, for clothes, electrical goods etc as well as touristy stuff.

[17] Nice walks up the hill to the Big Buddha, viewpoint and then down into Jomtien.

[18] Few minutes to a well staffed immigration office

[19] Lots of internet cafes.

[20] Number of fishing parks within walking distance.

Where else are you going to find all of that lot in Asia, or the world for that matter. Maybe Florida ?

The year I sold my condo in Florida 4 hurricanes came close enough to evacuate the poor folks who lived in mobile home parks. Florida has too many old people. One has to help the 70 year old bag boys carry bags out your car and many times they have heart attacks in the parking lot. Big cities in Florida have too many crack addicted prostitutes; Tampa and Miami are overrun with them. Since Castro dumped all the criminals on South Florida it has become unsafe in many places.

There are a lot of women in Florida. A lot of towns where the ratio is 8 women to one man but most ladies are over 70. I left Florida and came to Pattaya. There are more churches in Florida but I don't really miss em.

Fair enough - name one ?

[7] Amazing range of eating-out options from almost every corner of the world (though still looking for chòu dòufu).

[13] Golf courses.

[14] Places where you can have a sit down and a natter in the afternoon, watch the world go by and have a beer for 30-50 baht.

[16] Great shopping, for clothes, electrical goods etc as well as touristy stuff.

[17] Nice walks up the hill to the Big Buddha, viewpoint and then down into Jomtien.

Where else are you going to find all of that lot in Asia, or the world for that matter. Maybe Florida ?

I do not disagree with many positive things you have listed even though they seem to be stated overly optimistically in my opinion. For most of these from the beaches, diversified tourists -expats, nightlife, immigration etc, one could list many negative counter arguements? I still I like to focus on the positive and this is a good area to live in unless your glasses become too rose colored - you have to be realistic. whistling.gif

Fair enough - name one ?

[13] Golf courses.

I do not disagree with many positive things you have listed even though they seem to be stated overly optimistically in my opinion. whistling.gif

With the exception of golf courses (though I know several people in Pattaya that play golf regularly) I take advantage of all of the amenities and attractions in the above list. I specifically didn't include pastimes that some of my friends enjoy e.g. diving, plus I haven't listed some of the 'dodgier' attractions wub.png .

The place is a cess pit , prostitution is illegal ( ha ha ha ) really corrupt town hall, police . and on and on and on. If you you like this environment good luck to you lots of nicer places to live.

Questionable at best. sad.png

Some of the richest people in Asia live in Pattaya. Some for the horses (if one can afford airfare for 3 horses they are rich). Some I don't know because I know only their body guards from having coffee with them while the rich people shop (they close the store to allow them to shop alone). I would wonder just who appointed the writer of the above post the judge of other peoples motives. Now that is the lady I'd like to meet. His boss. She should be posting here.

• Like 1

Pattaya is 50 sq. kms according to Land survey records. The warren of little Soi's running off Beach Road,1st Road, 2nd Road and the surrounds is a tiny tongue of land 3kms x 3kms. Drive around the perimeter and your dashboard will tell you just that.

Relative to this tiny tongue of land and small population the violence, accidents and other mishaps is significant. In "percentage terms" the crime rate for this tiny stretch exceeds every other ASEAN country. We can gild the lily, pretend there are stars in the sky upon which to gaze or even imagine a UFO will drop something sweet smelling over this tiny tongue of land - 3kms x 3 kms. Its all quite delusional and will remain the stuff of essay-writing.

Balance in essay-writing is important. Its something you have done well. However, comments by bloggers (which you mock) are "in response to" newspaper stories of murder & mayhem in Pattaya this past month. To ask bloggers sommenting on a news item to look at the bright side when offering comment on acts of mindless violence is quite idiotic. Your article is akin to asking bloggers who come home and discover a body on the kitchen floor to then look up at the sky and count the colors of the rainbow. I'd need to be drugged to do that.

Many love Pattaya. Nobody has a monopoly on this affection. However, many refuse to be one-eyed Pattaya diehards. Most are balanced in their views. Comments on blog sites refer to a particular new item such as death or violence. They can be blunt, succinct, sound exasperated. Not everyone turns poetic and dreamy when reading crime stories much as people may love Pattaya. In fact the acidic scathing tones of bloggers are intended to draw attention so that a clean-up (hopefully) ensues.

Your little essay reads well. I liked the prose and choice of words. However, mocking people with concerns about spiraling crime is puerile. It will hardly stifle honest, blunt comments from people on this blog site to mindless violence. Taking their comments out of context and asking them to write about a rainbow each time they are commenting on a grisly murder is quite mad.

I do know at least 4 people who have left these past six months for Bali, Bantam and Manila. I'd need to live on another planet not to know long term residents of Pattaya who move. With the ease of travel and so many markets opening up Pattaya is just one of many resorts. Importantly, there are no sacred cows.

Some of the comments I read were, indeed, on News items relating to violence. And I take your point regarding writing about rainbows. However I do take issue with two areas. One: you, as an obviously intelligent person, should have noted that at no time do I mock the posters (with the exception of the last line of the 2nd paragraph), I mock the puerile and pointless nature of the one liner. When commenting on the violence, surely condemning the violence not the place is more pertinent. It reminds me of the female militants I used to see at university who declared that, "All men are rapists". We are not but it makes a good strapline.

Pattaya is an easy target and I, at no point, defend it. How ever I would say this; Pattaya doesn't kill people, people do. There are lots of posters who want change here (as do I) and others who see it as a male nirvana; I come from a fairly neutral place as I cannot live elsewhere due to my work, but at the same time I actually don't want to live anywhere else for many of the reasons that Londonean made so well. And for none of the reasons that a couple of one line jockeys (the reason I posted, thanks for taking the time out to join us and give us the benefit of your knowledge!)

All I am suggesting is that posters at least stick to the point or defend their position. If that makes me idiotic, purile and quite mad, to paraphrase you, then so be it. It was fun though.

Edited by sgunn65

You're hilariously confused. Never mind. I'm sure that someone who cares more than me will explain what the original sentence means. cheesy.gif

Why can't you answer a simple question. You said you would shudder to live in Pattaya. I asked why would you shudder to live in Pattaya?

Oh dear.

"You said you would shudder to live in Pattaya"

Incorrect. Re-read it and see if you can comprehend it. It's obviously causing you distress.

Oh dear.

Incorrect. Re-read it and see if you can comprehend it. It's obviously causing you distress.

You wrote, "That I was voluntarily choosing to live in Pattaya. *shudder*."

Oh dear.

*Sigh*

Read the entire post, including the question, and see if you can work out the context and meaning.

http://www.thaivisa....75#entry5995738

Perhaps your distress is blocking cognitive thought processes.

Edited by cbrer

Oh dear.

*Sigh*

Read the entire post, including the question, and see if you can work out the context and meaning.

http://www.thaivisa....75#entry5995738

Perhaps your distress is blocking cognitive thought.

I asked a simple question. I am not playing games with your or attempting to flame you. You wrote, "Thai I was voluntarily choosing to live in Pattaya, "shudder". Why does living in Pattaya make you shudder?

Questionable at best. sad.png

Whats so "questionable" about wanting to move here ???