Chiang Khong , In Chiang Rai Nice Place To Retire

WilliamCave

I was just in chiang Khong and travel there about 2, 3 times a year. From bkk, can't wait to go back love sitting in a restaurant or guest house over looking the river in to Laos at night what a peace full feeling. Going back in 3 weeks to relax again it is so peace full and the people very nice and friendly . I liked it so much I want to build a home up there on my land.

I noticed the town starting to decorate some of the coffe shops and business like Pai in Mae Hong Son and the locals I know up there told me the plan for the area is to turn it in to another Pai.

One question is there any good schools there now that have English programs? At the elementary school and high school levels?

I don’t know anything about the schools in Chiang Khong but there is something else you might want to keep in mind. Everyone is expecting the area to grow exponentially over the next few years and that growth may be quite chaotic and even destructive. There is every chance, that relaxed peaceful feeling you so rightfully treasure, may in the end fall victim to growth and progress.

If you are okay with dramatic change then no problem. If you are hoping things will stay the way they are, you may be disappointed. Just something to think about but I suppose anyplace up here is preferable to living in the Bangkok area.

• Like 2

I don’t know anything about the schools in Chiang Khong but there is something else you might want to keep in mind. Everyone is expecting the area to grow exponentially over the next few years and that growth may be quite chaotic and even destructive. There is every chance, that relaxed peaceful feeling you so rightfully treasure, may in the end fall victim to growth and progress.

If you are okay with dramatic change then no problem. If you are hoping things will stay the way they are, you may be disappointed. Just something to think about but I suppose anyplace up here is preferable to living in the Bangkok area.

Yes I seen that when I was up there this time. My land is far enough away from town of chiang Khong . Around the bridge there are many shop houses going up and even a caffee yen place . I noticed 3 new bars in town and they were all busy.

don't forget the planned railway station cheesy.gifand not to mention the continuous convoy of Chinese 18-wheelers thundering throughw00t.gif. Make sure where-ever it is, it isn't on any possible route between there and the metropolis whistling.gif of Chiang Rai

When I was in Chaing Khong Last week I also hear a lot of farang or foreigners a buying land on the other side Laos , is it possible to own land in Laos?

Yes I do see there is going to be much development there but I am 7 kilmos from town on a teak tree plantation .

I should be back there in a few weeks.

Do u know about schools in the area do they have English programs?

The local school for the kids that live in our home has a Thai teacher who teaches a one hour a week English lesson. My guess is noone is learning much.

A few years ago the school was going to hire a Filipina to teach English but she failed my test and wasn't given a position.

Maybe if there is an influx of westerners there may be some Teflers with them.

Well, perhaps if you hadn't blacklisted said Filipina, maybe they would have learnt rather more by now, even if they did so with a dodgy accent!

Incidentally do tell, how did you end up with the power to approve the hiring of teachers in the local school?

Well I don't know about Filipinas "not speaking English much goodly", I know several who teach and they speak it rather well - albeit, as I said, with a strong accent; in fact they speak it rather better than some westerners, including some "Teflers" I have come across!

Edited by JAG

With regard to your second point, you are absolutely correct. "Incidentally do tell" could be described as a classic English conversational idiom; but of course you would be well aware of that as an arbiter of those competent to teach the language.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to live in Mae Sai and visited Chiang Khong and loved it, I have a house and small business up for sale but would love to relocate to Chiang Khong. I dont have a pension or a lot of money but i do have a TEFL and a degree, is there many schools there that employ English teachers?. I am a single dad with a very young son, so would need a nursery as well. I would be able to fend for myself after the house/business is sold but i have a partner who is in no hurry to sell so would need to do something to feed and cloth us both. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Just got back from Chiang Khong am back in Bkk and I realize my place is up there , my wife is also in agreement with me. She can extend her business to that area also. Staying half the time in Bkk so I can semi retire soon

And I noticed alot more little shops opening and decorating has gone up and looks like Pai . The little sleepy fishing village looks like will be no more when all the bridge area is done I think it will bring waves of tourists to the area.

Not sure but I think others in the area see this also .

I'll be back to the area in a few weeks I just put a fence around my property that has water going all the way down one side and in the morning I can watch the sun rise over Laos . I am about 3klms from the new bridge. On the river side with a nice little village

Thanks for letting me ramble , I will try always to keep a thread going on the area of Chiang Khong and feel free to ad anything on the area to my thread thanks

• Like 1

A question for those in Chiang Khong, now that the bridges going to be open soon do you think people will still go to the old town of Chiang Khong or will they not come to the town any more ? The reason I am asking I was looking at a house in Chiang Khong and will it change the town that much with the tourists coming through or wil they forget about the village? Or will it increase tourists that could up set the nice quiet atmosphere of the town?

• 3 months later...

don't forget the planned railway station :cheesy:and not to mention the continuous convoy of Chinese 18-wheelers thundering through:w00t:. Make sure where-ever it is, it isn't on any possible route between there and the metropolis whistling.gif of Chiang Rai

Chinese trucks can't enter Thailand. You might see them in Huay Xai, Laos across the river but the only Chinese vehicles that make it to the Thai side are cars driven by Chinese tourists.