Renewal Of B Visa Timeframe

I am always annoyed at this time of year - its the time for renewal of my work permit and B visa. After 6 years of being in Thailand, I am getting increasingly frustrated at what exactly happens during the 'under consideration' stage.

As an example, for the first 3 years I worked for a company that could use the one stop centre by virtue of its capital being high and my position in that company. Everything was a piece of cake and everthing finished in 2 hours with correct documents. Since then I have been working for another smaller company so cannot use 1 stop centre. Every year, it takes 3 months to renew my visa and work permit. I am curious what they actually do in this time? does anybody actually know? Reason I ask it that all the paperwork is correct and checked on first submission, i.e company documents, audited statements, personal tax returns etc etc, yet it still takes the immigration police 3 months to then approve it. The work permit is a virtual automatic extension of the B visa - they do there part in one hour from what I can see - basically the delay seems to be with the Immigration dept. So every 30 days at this time of year, I have to ensure my passport goes back to be re-stamped for another 30 days of being under consideration. We already pay under the table money to accelerate :o the process and our business is so clean its sparkles - everything we do is above board, so its not even a problem with grey areas of business activity.

Just curious if everyone else has this issue or if its just me :D