More Russians Robbed At Gunpoint In Pratumnak

Rimmer

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10,000 Baht to bring is around 230 Euros. That's certainly not much money to bring with them.

It's a month's wages for many Thai people, so hardly surprising that some of them are prepared to steal it at gunpoint. It might equate to carrying around 50,000B in Europe, and who would do that at 5am?

Many farangs here have little or no concept of the value of money, as is clearly indicated by some of the posts in this thread.

What has a monthly wage to do with how much money I carry? A woman from Australia was just recently killed in Phuket for a few hundred Baht and a Mobile phone. Does it mean we have to keep our wedding ring, iPhone, Blackberry or Android phone at home when we go out at night. If I am inviting my friends for a night out, we go to a nice restaurant that comes up easily to 3000-4000 Baht. Adding a bottle of Hennessy cognac is another 4000 baht and do some street shopping is easily another 1000-2000 Baht. Using credit cards in Thailand? No thank you

What has a monthly wage to do with how much money I carry? A woman from Australia was just recently killed in Phuket for a few hundred Baht and a Mobile phone. Does it mean we have to keep our wedding ring, iPhone, Blackberry or Android phone at home when we go out at night. If I am inviting my friends for a night out, we go to a nice restaurant that comes up easily to 3000-4000 Baht. Adding a bottle of Hennessy cognac is another 4000 baht and do some street shopping is easily another 1000-2000 Baht. Using credit cards in Thailand? No thank you

Hey, you pays your money and you takes your choice. If I set out one evening to drink 4000B Cognac and have a meal in a fancy restaurant then I doubt that I would finish the night drinking on the sidewalk as these people did. And if I did think that I might end up doing that then yes, my fancy iThingy would stay at home along with my car and my extra cash and any bling that I might have. Why? Because I am not an idiot.

As for not using a card, that's up to you also. But if you carry cash then you always run the risk of losing it.

I hope there will be no comments about someone should not carry that about of money. Seems to be the victim is usually at fault. Four people eating dinner should not expect to be robbed, even if they were (drinking alcohol). That is another thing about these post. What if they were drinking Pepsi, would that make a difference?

No body expects or deserves to be the victim of any sort of crime, the point some us are trying to make is that <deleted> happens the world over and that pattaya is certainly not immune. If not already, I'm sure the Russian foreign ministry and or their outbound tourism agency will post appropriate travel warnings for Russians traveling abroad.

Lets face it if the true crime statistics were ever compiled annualy about Pattaya and put in the public domain there would be 50 % drop in visiters to this the largest brothel in the world, a stick up is chicken feed compared to the legalised scams and murders that take place here, The town attarcts the worlds worst along with worlds innocent, crime will happen every day way above average statistics in this cess pit, enter the spiders web or the lions den suffer the consequences.

Lets also face the fact that you have never lived in Pattaya and don't really have a clue what is going on there. biggrin.png

• Like 1