Slain Nurse's Mother Seeks Action Against Thailand's D S I Chief Tarit

webfact

Slain nurse's mother seeks action against Tarit

Pravit Rojanaphruk

The Nation

30197247-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Department of Special Investigation (DSI) chief, Tarit Pengdith, cannot be absolved from his responsibility for the people killed in the 2010 crackdown as he was a member of the Centre for Resolution of the Emergency Situation (CRES), Payao Akhad said. Her daughter Kamolkaed, a Red Cross volunteer, was shot down while tending to patients at Wat Pathum Wannaram.

Payao explained that if other CRES members were found guilty, there is no reason why Tarit should not be held responsible as well.

"[Tarit] knew everything about 2010 [crackdown]. All of them should be held responsible," she said.

So far, the Criminal Court has ruled that bullets from the soldiers' side killed four people.

Payao added that a group of relatives of the 2010 crackdown victims would push the Yingluck Shinawatra government to remove Tarit from the DSI and subject him to investigation as well.

She also complained that former prime minister Abhisit Vejjajiva and his then-deputy Suthep Thaugsuban were not detained like other red shirts when the DSI accused them of having the intention to murder in relation to the 2010 crackdown.

"If they were granted bail later, then it would have been different," she said, adding that all Army officers involved in ordering and carrying out the alleged shooting of protesters in 2010 should also be prosecuted.

Payao said that while Abhisit admitted to foreign media that soldiers had been told to use live bullets in self-defence, many of the nearly 100 people killed had bullet wounds above their knee and a few were shot in the head, which does not constitute an act of self-defence.

"It must be considered as over-reaction," Payao said. She is arguably one of the most prominent relatives of victims and has since become a leading activist calling for justice for those killed in 2010.

Payao said her daughter was shot five times, as proved by the official autopsy, even though she had been wearing a Red Cross apron and was at the temple which had been declared a sanctuary by the government on May 19, 2010.

"If we don't prosecute soldiers now, then they will end up engaging in such 'operations' again and again," Payao said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-01-04

• Like 1

What goes around comes around for Tarit since he transformed into a puppet. In as much that it was tragic people were killed I believe these prosecutions are erroneous considering the state of emergency. If this is to continue then the police should also be at fault for breach of duty which lead to the army having to be called in. Red shirt leaders should also be charged with murder for inciting the violence which led to the mayhem. It was never going to be peaceful when they started throwing blood around, telling the protesters to bring petrol & then the police allowing them to pass through, unlike they did at the recent protest.

Excellent points, time to open this can of worms, lay responsibility where it belongs. Tarit should be stood down from a position where he can whitewash himself and his supporters. Then when the process is completed in a transparent manner it would be time to talk of amnesty and forgiveness.

Edited by waza
  • Like 2

A speech that is both valiant and to the point.

However the reds also need to accept their part of the responsibility in these events and they aren't mature enough to do that and the government is too scared to bite the hand that got them to shore.

the can of worms is now fully open and they are starting to spread - I admire this woman for standing up and demanding justice from "all" those concerned, although I cannot understand why the army would have shot her daughter - that really puzzles me, if true, a full investigation into the army would be the correct course

This does change things, obviously the soldiers were not obeying the given orders by the Govt and took it upon themselves to do what they did so they should be charged. Shooting at possible terrorists(van)in self defence and hitting someone disobeying the curfew is one thing, deliberately firing on a nurse in a safe area is another and those that did the actual shooting need to be held responsible. As the shooters have not followed the Govts orders they are the ones that should be charged in this now, could damage all the reds work trying to blame abhisit especially when the soldiers were told to only shoot in self defence, maybe the soldiers/officers involved need to be looked at a bit more carefully.

So it appears that becoming a turncoat is no defence after all, for the bureaucrats, it makes the amnesty even more-urgently needed by the UDD/PTP side. wink.png

R.I.P. the nurse, and her brave mother for pressing the point, she died doing her duty. wai2.gif

• Like 2

My crystal ball tells me we have another round of March - May 2010 Mayhem rehash forthcoming. Well, I must admit we didn't really have one yet this year which is already on the 4th of January.

As for the topic, since k. Tarit was part of CRES having him involved in investigating and 'charging' seems a bit strange. It might have seen like a natural move for the previous government, but surely the current government would like to have more 'impartial' people leading investigations? The least what should have been done is putting k. Tarit on non-related cases, or suspend him for the duration. The last may well be like a promotion to an inactive post though ermm.gif

However the reds also need to accept their part of the responsibility in these events and they aren't mature enough to do that and the government is too scared to bite the hand that got them to shore.

the can of worms is now fully open and they are starting to spread - I admire this woman for standing up and demanding justice from "all" those concerned, although I cannot understand why the army would have shot her daughter - that really puzzles me, if true, a full investigation into the army would be the correct course

It will be interesting to see how the flip-flopping Thida reacts. She was all for action against the CRES at one stage but now has sold that set of morals. My guess is that she will stay quiet under her stone along with the rest of the red two legged Orwelian pigs.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect App

She will probably do a "Weng"cheesy.gif

It will be interesting to see how the flip-flopping Thida reacts. She was all for action against the CRES at one stage but now has sold that set of morals. My guess is that she will stay quiet under her stone along with the rest of the red two legged Orwelian pigs.

She will probably do a "Weng"cheesy.gif

The mind boggles

Abhisit and his masters truly believed that this would never see the light of day. I dont blame tarit I blame the guy who gave the orders (if they were obeyed). Stop thinking Abhisit was the overlord in this situation. The Thai people know who they want to see with h.. feet dangling in space. These are truly abhorent people who rule this country and are responsible for these deaths. Call them the amaat call them pigs but please publicly reveal the faces of these criminals.

She is activly promoting double standards.

"It must be considered as over-reaction," Payao said. She is arguably one of the most prominent relatives of victims and has since become a leading activist calling for justice for those killed in 2010"

If she is calling for justice why is she not calling for action against Thaksin. The government can put out an arrest warrant on him for terrorism and that will allow them to have him arrested in other countries and deported back to Thailand.

Failure to ask for this shows she is not interested in Justice.

I am sorry for her loss but that is no reason to take a stand supporting Terrorists,

This does change things, obviously the soldiers were not obeying the given orders by the Govt and took it upon themselves to do what they did so they should be charged. Shooting at possible terrorists(van)in self defence and hitting someone disobeying the curfew is one thing, deliberately firing on a nurse in a safe area is another and those that did the actual shooting need to be held responsible. As the shooters have not followed the Govts orders they are the ones that should be charged in this now, could damage all the reds work trying to blame abhisit especially when the soldiers were told to only shoot in self defence, maybe the soldiers/officers involved need to be looked at a bit more carefully.

Maybe the black shirts did the shooting. After all that was there mandate to create trouble for the Democrats.

She is activly promoting double standards.

"It must be considered as over-reaction," Payao said. She is arguably one of the most prominent relatives of victims and has since become a leading activist calling for justice for those killed in 2010"

If she is calling for justice why is she not calling for action against Thaksin. The government can put out an arrest warrant on him for terrorism and that will allow them to have him arrested in other countries and deported back to Thailand.

Failure to ask for this shows she is not interested in Justice.

I am sorry for her loss but that is no reason to take a stand supporting Terrorists,

Dolly, or you taking something ?

Do you really think that even if there was a video showing Thaksin personally igniting the fire at Central World, that this government would issue an arrest warrant for him ?

I think the lady is just saving her breath with not mentioning Thaksin.

Abhisit and his masters truly believed that this would never see the light of day. I dont blame tarit I blame the guy who gave the orders (if they were obeyed). Stop thinking Abhisit was the overlord in this situation. The Thai people know who they want to see with h.. feet dangling in space. These are truly abhorent people who rule this country and are responsible for these deaths. Call them the amaat call them pigs but please publicly reveal the faces of these criminals.

I see Thaksins picture quite often.

• Like 2

I see Thaksins picture quite often.

I see Thaksin's picture too often.

The obsessive mentality of some members takles the breath away.Here we have a report on a mother - I think respected by all regardless of politics - who has lost her daughter and who is very articulate. on who was responsible and what must be done.She makes some penetrating observations on Khun Tarit whose chameleon propensities have bemused many.She finally makes the killer observation, the elephant in the room, the subject which is so often avoided.Never commented on by those who regardless of context look to blame the redshirt movement.Let's remind ourselves then of what Khun Payou said.

"If we don't prosecute soldiers now, then they will end up engaging in such 'operations' again and again,"

• Like 2

Maybe the black shirts did the shooting. After all that was there mandate to create trouble for the Democrats.

That is a distinct possibility.