Thailands Chemists...

coldcrush

Hiya all

has anyone ever been to a thai chemist/doctor and then he/she suddenly turns into Willy Wonka filling up little bags of multi coloured tablets! How come one of the bags always includes a tablet for "make you relax"?

Maybe its justt me, but it seems you go for a bang n the head and suddenly your asleep for four days in bed with knockout tablets. I have a really good grasp of thai language and often say no to some of them but its a crazy way to make money by just getting someone to buy tablets that do jack shit! It doesnt matter where you go, a backstreet shop or a top Bangkok hospital (mentioning no names, but very near nana) or the likes its always the same...

Anyways thats my rant on the matter, the tablets are wearing off I brought home so I am off to sleep! :o:D

Lop

has anyone ever been to a thai chemist/doctor and then he/she suddenly turns into Willy Wonka filling up little bags of multi coloured tablets! How come one of the bags always includes a tablet for "make you relax"?

It's pretty common. I saw that in Thailand, and in Vietnam.

They sell little bags. Prescription ? One per day.

Of course people usually buy only 1 bag. Or maybe 2.

The only big problem is : theses bag contains often 1 or 2 ANTI BIOTICS pills.

It's scary. You try to explain the consequences (for the individuals and the community, thoses mini doses of anti bio lead to resistants germs) of such stupid behaviour... but usually their eyes reflect a terrifying... emptiness...

Mai pen rai.

Hopefully, in its high wisdom, the pharmaceutical industry thought about putting colors on their pills. At least, the little bags are... narak.

I usually try to find out exactly which tablets I need and than I just buy this one. Normaly they understand what I mean, sometimes it needs the motorbike guy going 2 hours upt to the biggest hospital till someone really know what I wrote.

Successfully in arround 50 % of the cases, fail in the other 50 %

Hiya all

Maybe its justt me, but it seems you go for a bang n the head and suddenly your asleep for four days in bed with knockout tablets. I have a really good grasp of thai language and often say no to some of them but its a crazy way to make money by just getting someone to buy tablets that do jack shit! It doesnt matter where you go, a backstreet shop or a top Bangkok hospital (mentioning no names, but very near nana) or the likes its always the same...

Anyways thats my rant on the matter, the tablets are wearing off I brought home so I am off to sleep! :o:D

Lop

No matter what ailment you go to the clinic/hospital for they always include paracetamol in your little bag of goodies! Maybe it is just to boost profits, maybe it's psychological, or maybe it's genuine and you really do need all the pretty color tablets they dish out.

when someone of my staff has a little cold, they get bags of tabletts, arround 5-6 and 2-3 times a day.

with a little virus, you don't need any, specially you don't need any antibiotica. It is only stupid to eat these tablets..

No matter what ailment you go to the clinic/hospital for they always include paracetamol in your little bag of goodies! Maybe it is just to boost profits, maybe it's psychological, or maybe it's genuine and you really do need all the pretty color tablets they dish out.

I know what you talking about I went to chemist about stomach problems and they gave me six bags with six differnt pills in.

1, three time a day, yellow 1 before bed . :o

Aww yes the magic before bed tablet, thats the one Willy Wonka Chemists likes to give! :D

• 3 months later...

Same in Bangkok Phuket Hospital, whatever reason I went there for in the past, minimum 3 different tablets.

At others doctors as well, and there the bag does not even contain information what drug is inside!

I have the same experience, my GF had an ear infection, so because it's pretty bad they really load you with stuff.

But because they subscibe antibiotics too much (penicilline) I think the effect will be very low. Also for something like a cold, whick will pass by itself, loads of pills too.

Other thing about antibiotics. If one needs it you have to finish the strip/pills. But as soon as the pain is gone, Thai people will stop finishing the rest.