Whats Wrong With Teeracs Yamaha Mio

nattydread

the bike is 6 years old and recently the engine has started stalling 2 or 3 times a day

tends to happen when u are sitting at traffic lights and when they change and u open the throttle it splutters and dies

it has had a new spark plug,air filter and the tappets were adjusted recently but it hasnt cured the problem

it starts first time on the button from cold without the choke but if the bike hasnt been used for 3 or 4 days it can take 15-20 seconds on the starter button to coax it into life

she puts 91 gasahol in it

its going into the shop in a few days but I would welcome some suggestions regarding what to say to the mechanic

|Thanks

Sounds like the carb needs a good clean.

Not sure what sort of adjustments can be done to the standard carb, other than idle speed but make sure everything is set to default, you might need a manual if taking it somewhere other than a Yamaha dealership.

Clean the fuel system. The carburetor has an idle circuit and the main circuit. Both may need a clean as does the fuel tank, line and put a new filter on.

Some carburetors (CV) have a rubber diaphragm which can cause problems if they get perforated from wear and tear.

If it's 6 years old I really don't know what carby is fitted.

• 3 weeks later...

Wantan.

I too have a Yamaha Nuovo Elegance and it's just over 3 yrs old, I have always used gasohol 91 as stated on the filler cap and not once has my bike let me down or cut out 26,000kms +.

Lucky you :)

Yes, i know that many other people can use Gasohol on their Nouvo. I can not, because it stalls then :(

The bike was at the Yamaha Headquarter in Bangkok and the mechanics did their best to clean and adjust the carb. The problem remained. But i got used to it, no problem. I fill Benzine 91 or 95 in it and it runs good.

I also have an older Mio and after about five years it started to go off tune, not just stalling but also being quite hard to start and warm up. I took it to the local mechanic who told me to buy a new carb as the Mio carb wears out. I think it is something to do with where the needle from the slide goes in. It apparently wears the alloy there and widens the hole and it can not be repaired. Anyway, I got a new carb for about 1200 Baht and it cured it completely and I have had another four years or so with no problems at all.

the shop cleaned out the gas tank and the inside of the carb and now its running good again......something to do with the gasohol making the tank rusty they said?

Welcome to the new world of enviro fuels!

post-63954-0-31042300-1359368778_thumb.j