Which Is Better...thai Price Tag Vs British Quality?

krisb

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok - I've scratched my head to think of some quality products from Britain.

It's true we are not a powerhouse manufacturer these days - although we have many things to be proud of.

We produce some beautiful luxury cars - as mentioned previously, but on a small scale.

I've found 2 areas where we are still world leaders - very current and steeped in history at the same time.

Also very cool - for a change smile.png

Most of the Marshall range is not made in the UK, it is made in China/India and Vietnam.

http://www.marshallf...made-china.html

That's strange as my friend who works at the factory in MK seems to be kept busy.

http://www.marshallf...ctory-tour.html

It's true the low end tranny/VS stuff may have been farmed out ( MA, MG and Haze )

I'm sure they still produce the Brown sound valve beauties exclusively in the UK.

*sigh*

I suppose you'll tell me Talisker is made in Sumatra next thumbsup.gif

Notice where I said "Most".

As for Talisker is Scotland classed as ;part of Britain?

Hmmm yes :)

@chonabot

The Brits were just lucky with their language, if it was not English it would have been an other language. Wow big accomplishment.

Fairly dumb statement there Robblok - usually I enjoy your posting.

Check your history - our language was not chosen luckily smile.png

I'm far from jingoistic, but when someone states that Britain and quality have no place in the same sentence - it bugs me smile.png

Edited by chonabot
  • Like 2

The Brits were just lucky with their language, if it was not English it would have been an other language. Wow big accomplishment.

The Brits were just lucky with their language

Huh? Are you for real?

if it was not English it would have been an other language

No!! Really?

@chonabot

I'm far from jingoistic, but when someone states that Britain and quality have no place in the same sentence - it bugs me smile.png

I didn't read this post when I quoted the other guy.

He might be referring to that apocryphal story about the vote in America back in the late 1700s when our language almost lost to the German language. The story has it that the vote took place in order to decide which language should be America's lingua franca.

Edited by andrew

Yours?...you lucky sob.thumbsup.gif

What years that Naam?

1969, 4.2L, 6 in row, 3 SU carbs.

Arguably the most beautiful car ever built. Timeless beauty, it just never seems to look old. Is it British Racing Green? looks blackish but didnt think they ever painted em black?

It seems I'm getting in trouble for asking a simple question.

When was the last time you bought a poorly manufactured British product?

It seems to be the case that rather than answer just stick out a petted lip and talk crap about flag waving.

ps The NHS would collapse if it wasn't for immigrant staff. I don't care what nationality the Doctor is, to suggest otherwise is puerile.

You should change your question to " when was the last time you bought a British product " , because all the products I know where Britain was famous for are now owned by big manufacturers from another nationality, hence they have applied their standards to the production.

http://money.aol.co.uk/2012/10/30/hp-sauce-traditionally-british-advert-backfires/

post-163165-0-54749000-1357552864_thumb.

HP Sauce has been attacked on its own Facebook page, after launching new adverts playing on the sauce's 'manly' Britishness. It seems that users are not impressed with a brand that makes a big play of being traditionally British - and yet is made in Holland.

So what's the fuss about, and should we really be worried?

Backlash

A thread appeared on the site 24 hours ago, and built momentum, with a series of comments from brown sauce fans who were outraged that the sauce is no longer made in the UK. It was reported in the Daily Mail, and the backlash grew.

It began with one user calling for the picture of the House of Commons to be removed from the bottle, now that the sauce is made in Holland. It was followed by those who felt the advertising was misleading people into thinking it was a British product, and others who said they stopped buying it once it was no longer made in the UK.

The Facebook page certainly makes a great deal of the brand's heritage, since it was first produced commercially in this country in 1903. However, there is no mention of the fact that production moved overseas.

HP told the newspaper: "There is nothing new about where it is made. We announced that HP Sauce production was moving to Holland six years ago as a viable alternative was not available, and the place of manufacturer is clearly stated on the label."

So should we really be bothered?

There are plenty of products traditionally associated with one country, but produced in another. Dr Oetker, for example, is the best-selling ready-made pizza in Italy, but is actually made by a German company in Lancashire. The same German company owns the famous Italian/American brand Chicago Town. Then there's Old El Paso traditional Mexican food, made in Spain.

There are also plenty of traditionally British foods owned by companies based elsewhere. The Netherlands company of Heineken owns both Newcastle Brown Ale and Strongbow - and is now making the 'Newcastle' brand in Yorkshire. It also happens to own Birra Moretti and Sol and nobody seems to be losing much sleep about it.

So why should we worry so much about HP sauce? Does its origin and branding mean it has a special status that makes us so much more attached to it as a British brand, or is this outcry a nine-day wonder?

And I bet the Native Americans, Maoris, Inuit and native people of Rhodesia apreciated them too.

Let's try you with just three names and a company, so as not to tax you too much.

Alexander Fleming............... penicillin

John Logie Baird...................television

Alexander Graham Bell.........telephone

I could add tarmacadam..... and many, many more, but it would look like jingoism. It's not...It's national pride.

For the Aussies.... who built Sidney Harbour Bridge of which you are so rightly proud?...... Yes, a British company, Dorman Long in Middlesbrough. One of my relatives was one of the draughtsmen who worked on that design.

So to answer your point (and to get back on topic, out of deference to the OP), I think it is pretty obvious that there will be many people around the world who appreciate British quality and entrepreneurship.

And for anyone else who thinks the scots "wanted" to leave their homelands so long ago, I suggest you go and research a ship called the Hector, which sailed, latterly from Ullapool, to Nova Scotia. The story might just make you have a wee re-think.

As a closing point, why not pause and ponder the globalisation of trade in the moren world. We can all fight like rats in a sack and defend (or for the less informed, take the p*** out of) our homelands, but at the end of the day, we are all interdependent. We have all benefitted from the quality of some country or other's goods and whether or not some of you want to accept the fact or not, British inventions and technology have affected all of our lives in some positive way..... So have thai produce and people..... It's a small world.

Seconds out. Round three.

Edited by Rob8891
  • Like 2

Ok - I've scratched my head to think of some quality products from Britain.

It's true we are not a powerhouse manufacturer these days - although we have many things to be proud of.

We produce some beautiful luxury cars - as mentioned previously, but on a small scale.

I've found 2 areas where we are still world leaders - very current and steeped in history at the same time.

Also very cool - for a change smile.png

Most of the Marshall range is not made in the UK, it is made in China/India and Vietnam.

http://www.marshallf...made-china.html

That's strange as my friend who works at the factory in MK seems to be kept busy.

http://www.marshallf...ctory-tour.html

It's true the low end tranny/VS stuff may have been farmed out ( MA, MG and Haze )

I'm sure they still produce the Brown sound valve beauties exclusively in the UK.

*sigh*

I suppose you'll tell me Talisker is made in Sumatra next thumbsup.gif

Notice where I said "Most".

Spoonman do you know anything about Marshall products?

Granted you got me on the GTR :)

MG/MA amps are used by beginners on a budget - a very small percentage of the Full range.

A bit like saying most Fenders are made in Asia.....yes I know they're American !

As expected, this has turned into a Brit bashing thread.

It's what's expected of Thaivisa these days smile.png

Well we put on a pretty good show at the 2012 Olympics, even managed to get 3rd place in the medal haul.

Our Universities, Sports league, Literature and music stand up to the best in the world.

We may live off our history somewhat, but what history we have and that can never be denied.

I think our language is a quality product - it creates countless jobs worldwide - simply because millions of other people from different nationalities are

demanding to speak English.

They are not wanting to learn English because it's cool or a fashionable language - they need it to compete with other countries in industry.

We are a big and easy target for those of you that want to feel good about your country, if you're outside Europe and speak English,

well we probably had a lot to do with your culture as well smile.png

01_aston_one_77_leak_zpsad31d933.jpg

Please continue to bash and feel free to use our language - until you create a better one smile.png

You do realise "your language" is actually germanic language isnt it? That is not being very nice and i see a display of nationalism more than any britian bashing by claiming english as "your language" when its being derived from MY mother tongue with various other influences. Languages doesnt belong to no one, you don't have to drag this into it and nobody is bashing britian. Its a good change really, for once britians themselves arent actually bashing and crapping on their own country and actually being patriotic about it.

Spoonman do you know anything about Marshall products?

Granted you got me on the GTR smile.png

MG/MA amps are used by beginners on a budget - a very small percentage of the Full range.

A bit like saying most Fenders are made in Asia.....yes I know they're American !

only the upper range of marshalls (etc jcm) are made in england. mg are made in china, haze are in india, ma & dsl are in vietnam. Its actually right to say most of them aren't made in britian anymore. Don't get me wrong, I am actually a big fan of marshall bassman.

i know mates who love vox, but its a pity they had shifted the entire line to china. and with scandals of using fake speakers doesnt help

Edited by rookball

Time for me to bow out of this lovely thread - I've been defeated on all home fronts thumbsup.gif

Auf wiedersehen pets !

Time for me to bow out of this lovely thread - I've been defeated on all home fronts thumbsup.gif

Auf wiedersehen pets !

no pal, i actually don't doubt the quality of britian products. i myself very much preferred marshall than hughes & kettner

Edited by rookball

Don't talk to me about "British" quality. I remember the British autos my father and grandfather used to own. They spent most of their time in the mechanic's shop. I'll stick with Japanese cameras until somebody comes up with something better. And, the US auto industry had to pull up their socks when the Japanese quality vehicles proved to be better.

Look I guess my point is why buy the most expensive watch made in UK, Italy wherever, when the Asians have copied it to a fair degree and knocked thousands of $ of the price.

Heres another example, how many of you wear fake Diesel, Armani etc brand label clothing made as far as I know in Thailand. Id rather buy cheap copy and support local Thai traders than some rich poxy wanke_r and their clothes label that is crazy expensive.

When in Thailand, I quite enjoy buying fake copies. Theres something fun about it looking through markets and checking stuff out. Of course theres plenty of the real licensed merchandise in department stores like Paragon or whatever, I prefer the knock offs its more satisfying to me.

when I first landed in Thailand I also enjoyed the copies and yes I do agree with you some of it is quite well made....however your fake swiss watch that was manufactured in China to the right person who knows what they are looking at will be spotted....I could not think of anything worse than someone wearing a fake and trying to pass it off as the real thing...am sure theres a name for that where you come from as trhere is where I do...

just make sure you take off that 'divers' watch when you go swimmingthumbsup.gif

• Like 1

@chonabot

Your language was chosen because you guys conquered much of the known world if that is a good thing remains to be seen. (how its been divided after you guys left made loads of problems) I just got riled about the flag waving, i just buy quality where ever it comes from. I even mentioned good fishing gear from the UK but all the flag waving just got to me must be because im from a less nationalistic country.

I will never say there is no quality in the UK but neither will i say that everything from the UK is quality but acting like the UK is any different from other western European countries is crazy. Its all the same over there.

• Like 1

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Which_country_has_produced_the_most_inventions

I wouldnt say Brits get the backing they deserve from their previous/current govt's which is why often it gets made/developed elsewhere........we had a Thai inventions thread before, it was pretty much non existant I seem to remember?

Thailand is just an cheap assembly line from what I see.

Many things I buy here simply fall apart literally the same or next day, its 90% junk.

Me personally, Ive had a fake Omega watch now for over 6.5 years and it looses perhaps 45minutes a year. Pretty good considering the Thai price tag. Looks wise, pretty good also, Im regularly asked about my watch, if only they knew it wasnt the real deal. Therefore, Id take Thai price over British quality anyday.

How bout you?

Omega is NOT British, it is SWISS!!!! tongue.png

but I agree that British has not mich of a quality, thus i would also choose Thai price biggrin.png

Sent from my HTC One XL using Thaivisa Connect App

Yes Swiss quality safe's to store your Natzi gold in. I agree, the Swiss have quality stuff. (joke aside Swiss are renowned for their watches and chocolate)

Much better than British chocolate Id saywink.png

It is since most once British companies changed their recipe

Edited by bigbamboo

Ok you guys are starting to pee me off a bit. Stop the childish arguments. Grow up.

I guarantee 1 reason why you all love Thailand is the prices are cheaper. Thats it, thats my point.

Ok you guys are starting to pee me off a bit. Stop the childish arguments. Grow up.

I guarantee 1 reason why you all love Thailand is the prices are cheaper. Thats it, thats my point.

Of course i love Thailand, but i am still willing to pay for quality. Nothing is so annoying then working with tools that only function half. It all depends what it is for.

Actually I like the lifestyle here, very much carefree with no big brother watching over me and telling me what I can and cannot do, that lack of politically correct bullshite is very appealing as well.

Having said that though I live a western lifestyle which does not cheaply.

So your point is ?

Which one pees you off the most?smile.png

That sounds like a request for endorsement biggrin.png

• Like 1

I think I would be quite happy owning Naam's Jaguar XK-E. My grandfather owned one of those and I enjoyed riding in it as a child. But, I wouldn't want to give up my motorbike in Thailand. It's just too much fun here.

Don't talk to me about "British" quality. I remember the British autos my father and grandfather used to own. They spent most of their time in the mechanic's shop. I'll stick with Japanese cameras until somebody comes up with something better. And, the US auto industry had to pull up their socks when the Japanese quality vehicles proved to be better.

Look I guess my point is why buy the most expensive watch made in UK, Italy wherever, when the Asians have copied it to a fair degree and knocked thousands of $ of the price.

Heres another example, how many of you wear fake Diesel, Armani etc brand label clothing made as far as I know in Thailand. Id rather buy cheap copy and support local Thai traders than some rich poxy wanke_r and their clothes label that is crazy expensive.

When in Thailand, I quite enjoy buying fake copies. Theres something fun about it looking through markets and checking stuff out. Of course theres plenty of the real licensed merchandise in department stores like Paragon or whatever, I prefer the knock offs its more satisfying to me.

when I first landed in Thailand I also enjoyed the copies and yes I do agree with you some of it is quite well made....however your fake swiss watch that was manufactured in China to the right person who knows what they are looking at will be spotted....I could not think of anything worse than someone wearing a fake and trying to pass it off as the real thing...am sure theres a name for that where you come from as trhere is where I do...

just make sure you take off that 'divers' watch when you go swimmingthumbsup.gif

If I m getting a new watch, it will the English made Bremont MBII. It may cost me 110k baht but there is no way,I will wear a fake Chinese Rolex.