Is This Article About The New Samui Cable Electric Line True

can anyone back this article up or confirm its true. I ask because I've heard the new cable line when installed and combined with the other 2 remaining cable lines will only provide up electric use up to 115 MW. the nation says differently. read below

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/New-power-line-to-Samui-to-cover-needs-for-10-year-30196527.html

The Nation December 21, 2012 1:00 am

When the fourth power transmission line to Samui is completed in March, bringing total electricity capacity to more than 200 megawatts, the resort island can look forward to enough juice to keep it lit for 10 years.

Sornchai Jaturonlak, manager of the Samui office of the Provincial Electricity Authority (PEA), said yesterday that daily electricity consumption on Samui and Pha Ngan islands peaked at 105MW in August, compared with the normal 97-98MW per day.

That was a big jump from 2006's 70MW and 1986's 17-18MW.

The island's first 33-kilovolt cable has been sending 17-18MW since 1986, the second 115kV line was broken and the third 115kV line supplied 75MW. A recent explosion of this third line led to a 72-hour blackout, the longest ever on the tourist island.

The fourth 115kV line from Khanom Station on the mainland to Ban Mae Nam Station will add 120MW, so the first, third and fourth lines will provide more than 200MW altogether. That should be enough for projected consumption needs over the next decade.

As the islands receive 92-93MW from the two operating lines, while they usually need 97-98MW a day, the PEA has installed 25 mobile generators on Samui and four on Pha Ngan to provide 10MW, bringing capacity to 102-103MW in total.

According to a representative of the PEA, Samui has about 38,000 electricity users consuming 90MW, and Pha Ngan about 6,000 users consuming 15MW, bringing the number of users to 44,000 and usage to 105MW on the two islands.

Sornchai said that during the Christmas and New Year holidays, power demand would rise, so the PEA rented generators from companies to give 10MW starting on Monday. This would bring the total to 112-113MW.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect App

Do you really think he would say there isn't enough juice to power the island ? And the report is based on all 3 working ... How many times have the cables broke ?

They also haven't mentioned all the power cuts due to broken power lines ect on the island , which is also an eyesore ... Wouldn't it be cheaper in the long run to put all the power cables underground ? Would certainly reduce the amount of blackouts

• Like 1

Do you really think he would say there isn't enough juice to power the island ? And the report is based on all 3 working ... How many times have the cables broke ?

They also haven't mentioned all the power cuts due to broken power lines ect on the island , which is also an eyesore ... Wouldn't it be cheaper in the long run to put all the power cables underground ? Would certainly reduce the amount of blackouts

Well that could be said for many western countries too.... cost a huge factor...w00t.gif .... plus given the type of sandy base "soil" around the island (s) I think could be asking for more trouble in heavy rains and floods wink.png ???

It would be good if they made people clear the power line routes of trees etc... that would help! wink.png

Get the towers over the mountain from Tong-Krut to the new substation across from Angela's Bakery.(next to the police station)

The majority of the power is used opposit from where it comes ashore,

120,000 volts direct to where the biggest need is, solves a lot of transmission and logistic problems.

The towers (pilons) are 30 m tall , not pretty but what do you want, reliable electric is costly in many ways.

If you look at mant tourist destination islands around the world you will see these towers, part of life as it were.

Just a side note the power is reduced from 120,000 volts to 33,000 volts at the substation near the snake farm in Tong-Krut.

33,000 volts is what they send around the island, the loss in voltage is by the time it gets to its destionaton, say Bophut maybe 32,000 volts.

The point is sending this low a voltage long distances cost money and incures a lot of line losses.

Other contributing factors are also Old poles, that can not take the weight and sway of additional cable weight. (they break)

Trees growing under power lines, blowing in the wind and breaking the line supports or pole (wind load).

We have just grown to fast and now we are paying the price.

But why the 2nd 120 kV cannot be repaired?

And are the 30 m pilons being erected already to keep the deadline "March 2012"?

I think there is still an unresolved dispute with the original contractor that laid that line.
  • Like 1

I think they are going to make the underwater cable around Samui to Maenam right away?

Seems cheaper than building the pylons across the Island.

Can't they make a new cable to KPG same time.

The present one from Samui is not enough for the future of KPG.

I think they are going to make the underwater cable around Samui to Maenam right away?

Seems cheaper than building the pylons across the Island.

Can't they make a new cable to KPG same time.

The present one from Samui is not enough for the future of KPG.

Towers already built, power to be connected to Maenam sub station.whistling.gif