Brace For Impact

meadish_sweetball

They are coming to take the women... FREAK OUT !!!!!!!!

From what I've seen, they ARE the women.

That's interesting. With a male to female birth ratio of about 120:100 I'm surprised.

Maybe the Chinese women have SEEN the Chinese men and decided they needed a change of scenery. biggrin.png

David

After many years in Chiang mai, I now live in Beijing. I asked around the office and everyone has seen this film and thought it was great. A colleague I respect said "there is no question" but that the movie will increase tourism to Thailand and Chiang Mai.

They are also most interested in the phenomenon of ladyboys ...

In response to the comment about Chinese men:

One thing I have come to know is that the mainland Chinese are extremely immature -- even older adults can act like petulant little children. The "men" are often just "grown up" little boys who were so doted on and spoiled by their mothers and grandmothers that .... well, you can fill in the blanks.

As well, the most of the ones I work with, which are the same class likely to travel overseas. have done zero physical labor and/or true exercise when growing up, so they are real physical weaklings. Your average Thai will easily eat these guys lunch if they want to. The one-child policy and the Chinese tradition of completely spoiling their children has resulted in a few generations of little princes and princesses.

Edited by chaoyang
  • Like 1

In response to the comment about Chinese men:

One thing I have come to know is that the mainland Chinese are extremely immature -- even older adults can act like petulant little children. The "men" are often just "grown up" little boys who were so doted on and spoiled by their mothers and grandmothers that .... well, you can fill in the blanks.

As well, the most of the ones I work with, which are the same class likely to travel overseas. have done zero physical labor and/or true exercise when growing up, so they are real physical weaklings. Your average Thai will easily eat these guys lunch if they want to. The one-child policy and the Chinese tradition of completely spoiling their children has resulted in a few generations of little princes and princesses.

Chinese families also send thousands of their kids abroad to attend university. I met many Chinese uni students in the U.S. They are generally very bright and studious, but I must agree with your description -- many are quite spoilt, much pampered and overindulged. The tuition cost for foreign students in the U.S. is usually double that of resident students. Think about how much it costs the Chinese parents when you add in room & board, spending money and expensive clothes and brand new Honda Accords for their little darlings to drive to school. Incredible expense. Chairman Mao must be turning over in his grave seeing such decadence. biggrin.png

Edited by BradinAsia

Downloaded a screener of this film last night for wifey (in Mandarin with English subtitles...wifey speaks Mandarin).

Gotta say the film aint half bad, funny, good acting, great characters, does'nt portray Thailand in any real negative light at all. Nice scenery and you can recognise some of the places in CM, not really cliched at all. Good story and poster on film not really reflective of film itself. Some really funny moments but not trying all out to be a comedy.

All in all quite a good movie.

As a side wifey has been asked to gather 7 other Mandarin speakers for tour guides for plane loads of Malaysian Chinese coming here for Chinese New Year.....apparently for two weeks. Usually wifey will only work with 2 or 3 others so the numbers are on the up (movie plus direct Airasia flights plus Chinese New Year). Funnily enough most of the other Mandarin speakers will probably be Burmese .....

Edited by mamborobert

Downloaded a screener of this film last night for wifey (in Mandarin with English subtitles...wifey speaks Mandarin).

Gotta say the film aint half bad, funny, good acting, great characters, does'nt portray Thailand in any real negative light at all. Nice scenery and you can recognise some of the places in CM, not really cliched at all. Good story and poster on film not really reflective of film itself. Some really funny moments but not trying all out to be a comedy.

As a side wifey has been asked to gather 7 other Mandarin speakers for tour guides for plane loads of Malaysian Chinese coming here for Chinese New Year.....apparently for two weeks. Usually wifey will only work with 2 or 3 others so the numbers are on the up (movie plus direct Airasia flights plus Chinese New Year). Funnily enough most of the other Mandarin speakers will probably be Burmese .....

Wifey? sad.png

Wifey? sad.png

i see that often on this forum. is that Australian slang? i don't believe it is used in Europe or America, that i am aware of at least. it's an odd reference.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/wifey

Available in Oxford English, Oxford US English, Collins English Dictionary, Macquare Dictionary, and Merriam Webster (which records first use in 1786) for the Americans among us.

Try not to use Websters it has many English spelling errors.thumbsup.gif

The films was fun though....good humour (not humor). the dialogue (not dialog) between characters was great. I don't think it will make it to the theatre (not theater) here in CM.

No matter what...wifey liked the movies and so have her Mandarin speaking friends.

Getting back to original premise of thread I imagine this will lead to an increase in Chinese visitors......

Start brushing up on your "ni hao"

and so to bed........

http://dictionary.re...om/browse/wifey

Available in Oxford English, Oxford US English, Collins English Dictionary, Macquare Dictionary, and Merriam Webster (which records first use in 1786) for the Americans among us.

Try not to use Websters it has many English spelling errors.thumbsup.gif

As George Bernard Shaw is purported to have said, "Two peoples separated by a common language." biggrin.png

David