Intra Ocular Lens (iols) And Cataract Surgery

maikauzai

I need some info that I think many would also be interested. I am thinking to have cataract surgery. During the surgery, the natural lens is replaced with an artificial IOL (Intra Ocular Lens). Currently, in the United States and Europe, there are three types of IOLs:

1) Monofocal IOL. You have good distance vison, but will need reading glasses for near vision.

2) Accomodative IOL, such as Crystalens. You are supposedly to have full range of vision without needing any glasses most of the time.

3) Multifocal IOLs, such as RESTOR, and lately, ReZoom, which gives you full range of vision without needing glasses most of the time.

The cataract surgery itself is quite a standard procedure and I have no doubt that Thai doctors can do a good job. But the fitting for a multifocal IOL requires sophisticated instruments and I do not know if these technologies available in Thailand or not. Even if such IOLs exist in Thailand, how experienced Thai doctors are?

Does anyone have experience with multifocal IOLs, such as Rezoom, in Thailand?

Hi maikauzai,

I received your e-mail but your server isn't excepting my reply and is still sitting in my queue. Perhaps your inbox is full. Decided to post my response here.

For udon, my symptoms were just my vision was getting blurry like I needed new prescription lenses but had gotten so bad they could not correct for it. Was at a point that I was considering having to stop work because driving was becoming a real problem. A quick stop at an opthomologist will let you know quickly what's wrong and if cataracts are beginning. A few hundred baht max to do the testing.

I was quite anxious about this procedure and did a lot of research first to see what was available. Considering the importance of this I wanted the best doctor/facility I could get and researched the Doctors at Bumrungrad hospital. The doctor I chose had very good credentials including a fellowship in the US and has performed this procedure hundreds of times. The lens and procedure used by him is the same as you can see at this site: I have the silicon intraocular lenses.

http://depts.washington.edu/ophthweb/cataract.html

This was a few years ago and new lens types are now available that are variable focus which would have been nice to have but not available at the time so I have mono-focal lenses. But I'm very satisfied with them and only need glasses to read or use the computer were as before needed two sets of glasses (driving and reading).

The Doctor was very helpful, answered any questions I had without the bored look you get from some doctors and explained everything in great detail (including showing charts of the eye).

You might just send an e-mail to him and see if he now does the new lenses (focusable) type like shown at this link:

http://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/iols.htm

The hospital has operating theaters just for eye procedures and as good as any I've seen in the US. The procedure lasts about 10-15 minutes per eye and will be awake for the procedure. After you will be placed in a room for an hour or so and then allowed to go back home. Will need to see him within one or two days after then about 6-weeks after that. They recommend you bring someone because your eyes will be dilated and a eye disk put on (has holes in it so can see but quite blurry for the next few hours) to help get you back home.

I remember waking up the next morning in my hotel room and was astonished at being able to watch the TV without my glasses and even admiring a few ladies at the pool side

10 stories below me ;-)

I would disagree about the making money part. Certainly the hospitals are a business but the doctor I saw was not rushing me in any way to do it.

Edited by tywais

Hi Tywais

Did he do both eyes at once? Would you mind telling us how much it cost pls?

He gave me the option of one now and one later or both at once. Even when I was on the operating table after he did the first one he asked if I wanted to proceed to the second. This is partly due to the anxiety you have with the procedure and how tiring it is for you. Being located in Chiangmai and the logistics and expense of staying in Bangkok I optioned for both. His surgical fee was about 25,000 plus fees for the operating theater, nursing assistants, meds, etc. From his e-mail to me:

4. The cost package is approximately 40,000Baht* for one eye.

I want to add a little more info. I emailed my questions to Rutnin Eye Hospital. They were very responsive and emailed me back within two days. They do have multifocal IOLs like Restor and Rezoom. But they did not address how experienced they are (experience is usually defined as having performed one particular brand of IOL in 100 eyes). These IOLs are new in the market and were only approved by FDA in March, 2005. They did give me the email address of a cataract surgeon for me to write.

I am checking out Bumrungrad now.

Hi Tywais

Did he do both eyes at once? Would you mind telling us how much it cost pls?

He gave me the option of one now and one later or both at once. Even when I was on the operating table after he did the first one he asked if I wanted to proceed to the second. This is partly due to the anxiety you have with the procedure and how tiring it is for you. Being located in Chiangmai and the logistics and expense of staying in Bangkok I optioned for both. His surgical fee was about 25,000 plus fees for the operating theater, nursing assistants, meds, etc. From his e-mail to me:

4. The cost package is approximately 40,000Baht* for one eye.

Thanks for the info. The cost is less than half of that for one eye in the UK :o

Maikauzai............Your topic was very timely fro me. I am 52 yrs.old and wear glasses for seeing distances. I was diagnosed in the US with a small cataract that doesn't bother me at all. I was told by my eye doctor that i was not a candidate for Lasik beacause of the cataract. The think the IOL replacement would fit my needs as I will be able to get rid of my glasses (#1 priority) and also get rid of the cataract. I am also very concerned about the procedure,doctor experence,up to date lenses etc.... I sent an email to Rutnin Eye Clinic today before I read your post. There is also the big Lasik Center that all the board members seem to like. I think it is NTSC. I also wrote them today. Please let me know what you find out as I am very interested. I live in Pattaya and have seen the ads for the supersight surgery. I am just not sure if the Dr. is up to my standards and they want 180,000 bht. Although money should never be an issue I thought it was bit high, his backround didn't impress me. Maik, feel free to PM me with any of your discovery.

Eric

I was pleasantly surprised to have received a reply from Bumrungrad only after 2 days. Their email system definitely has improved since I blasted them last year and took my business elsewhere. Yes they say they do have the ReZoom lens and have implanted the lens in some patients, though I’d not consider them very experienced. The cost is about half that in the U.S. The doctor has good credential. All in all, it’s worth some serious consideration.

"There is also the big Lasik Center that all the board members seem to like. I think it is NTSC. I also wrote them today. "

TRSC... It's on Rama IV Road across from Lumpini Park in the U Chu Liang Building.

I would recommend Dr. Sukanda or Dr. Pichit. Those are $9000 surgeries where I work in the US.

Dr. Sukanda is a Thai woman with an extremely low complication rate for eye surgeries. Amazing really. Not certain if she performs the newer surgeries such as the multifocal and accommodating IOLs.

Dr. Pichit is an older Thai man that is quite experienced with these surgeries and has had really good results. He generally begins doing the surgery first and once he gets good results, Dr. Sukanda starts later.

I think you can contact them at [email protected]. Last I heard their English translators were excellent.