Need Advice....my Thai Wife Has All The Money, Would You Pay Ss?

rct99q

Met my wife while we worked at the same business 5 years ago. She has her own money (more than i ever had), vehicles, home, etc. She has been "married" before with a child (12 years of age). Just curious if anyone else has had a similar experience if after all this time and me not having any money (of my own) if the family asks for sin sot should I pay. We are looking at having the Buddhist Ceremony later this year.

I have asked her and she says don't worry about it, but I would not want to embarrass her. Anybody else experience this?

Sigh... People needs to realize that not all thais are following this old stupid tradition these days.

Thankfully, Thailand's "marriage for money-tradition" is slowly but steadily fading away.

I've been on a couple of thai weddings recently, and there were no silly sin sod to be seen.

When we got married more than 13 years ago, we had already been together for two years and simple got it in our heads to go to the Amphoer and get married. Told our families about it after the fact. No Sin Sot, no wedding and no housewarming party for that matter, when that came up. We continue to do things our own way, making it up as we go along. Not the norm perhaps, but you might be surprised how many couples are doing things differently these days. Marching to the beat of a different drummer, as it were.smile.png