Should I Get An Air Card Or Can I Use My Phone?

HalfSquat

I've got a Samsung Galaxy Y (the cheapest Galaxy) which runs Android.

I want to be able to get online with my laptop when out and about around Bangkok and perhaps other places like Hua Hin, Samui etc.

I gather an air card would allow me to do this but could I somehow connect my laptop to my phone and use that instead?

What sort of tariffs are there for getting online this way and who is a good provider for my needs? I wouldn't be downloading large files as have home internet.

I currently have a pre pay sim in my phone with AIS so could change to another provider if that would help me out.

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks.

I use an android phone and Bluetooth tether both my laptop and my tablet to it for internet. I dropped AIS in favour of Truemove H because of coverage. AIS just wouldn't give me any more than Edge anywhere outside of Bangkok but I am never without 3g with Truemove H anywhere.

You could Bluetooth tether, use the wireless hotspot (I think depending on what version of android you are running) or use internet pass through with a USB cable.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Thaivisa Connect App

Would the air card give better performance than the phone, if the phone was connected via USB?

I don't think there would be any difference in your internet speed/connection. This biggest problem when using a phone's wifi hotspot/tethering is the phone's battery usage. If you're going to use this for any length of time for your internet connection the phones battery will discharge quickly so you'll need to keep your phone connected to a charger all the time to prevent this.

As an aircard is powered from it's USB connection this isn't a problem.

The galaxy Y has a 7.2 Mbps 3G radio, so speeds will be the same as 7.2 Mbps USB aircards.

This said, practically you'll see no difference between a 7.2 Mbps and a 21 Mbps 3G radio, apart from when you're doing big downloads, which you won't do many times anyway due to the data transfer limits on the 3G packages..

If I use my phone for internet, I always tether through USB cable, this way you don't run down the battery. Tethering through Bluetooth is not too bad on the battery, but using wifi you will run the battery flat in not much more then an hour or 2...

Which version of Android are you currently running? If 2.3.5 there may be some issues with tethering (USB/Bluetooth) and/or Mobile AP.

For light or infrequent use your phone may be able to provide mobile broadband connectivity for your PC via a direct USB connection or via WiFi using the Mobile AP app. (A quick review of the manual does not indicate Bluetooth support.)

I think your phone supports 900/2100 MHz 3G so AIS/One-2-Call may be the only/best all around option for you assuming you want the higher mobile broadband speeds it offers. (TOT/MVNOs do have 2100 MHz 3G but perhaps not the most comprehensive, voice and data, offer. 2100 MHz 3G may roll out as early as March of this year from the other three service providers as a result of the recent 3G auction.)

You can bolt-on a mobile data plan - maybe experiment with a 49 baht/day daily plan first? Generally speaking, a volume-based plan offers better performance characteristics and is easier to manage.

http://www.ais.co.th/mobileinternet/en/internet-package/

http://www.ais.co.th/mobileinternet/en/internet-package/#2

pages 89-90 of the user's guide detail connectivity options:

Mobile network sharing

Learn to set your device as a wireless modem or wireless

access point for PCs or other devices, and share your device’s

mobile network connection.

› Share your device’s mobile network via WLAN

1 In Idle mode, open the application list and select Settings

→ Wireless and networks→ Tethering and portable

hotspot.

2 Select Mobile AP to activate the Wi-Fi tethering feature.

3 Select Mobile AP settings→ Configure mobile AP to

configure network settings to use your device as an access

point.

Option Function

Network SSID

View and edit the device name that

will be shown to external devices.

Security Select the security type.

4 When you are finished, select Save.

5 From another device, locate your device’s name in the

available connection list and connect to the network.

Your device shares the mobile network connection on

another device.

› Share your device’s mobile network via USB

1 Using a USB cable, connect the multifunction jack on your

device to a PC.

2 In Idle mode, open the application list and select Settings

→ Wireless and networks→ Tethering and portable

hotspot.

Select USB tethering to activate the USB tethering

feature.

Your device shares the mobile network connection on

your PC.

To stop sharing the network connection, clear the check

box next to USB tethering.

The sharing method for the network connection may

differ depending on the PC’s operating system

I tether my android phone to the computer with a USB cable. I avoid bluetooth because of battery life. It would be either the charging cable or the USB cable. I have tried bluetooth, hotspot and the tethered phone and surprisingly can see little or no difference in connection speed. I find the phone at least as good or maybe better than an air card.

The phone charges when tethered with the USB cable. Some do and some do not. I think most of the newer phones do charge through the USB cable.

Just double checked on my wife's galaxy y (running 2.3.6), and both USB and Wifi tethering is available.

The phone is 850/2100 3G capable, simcard used is Truemove-H.

What is the model number? Settings, About device, Model number?

It looks like there are several different versions of the Galaxy Y: 5630, 5630B, 5630L, 5630T.

I just assumed the OP had a 5630 which I think is 900/2100 MHz 3G. If naming convention holds then the 5630T might support 850/2100 MHz 3G?

The OP should try to determine which version they have as this may dictate which service provider is ultimately chosen.

If the OP could provide a Model number, Android version, and even Baseband version that might yield further recommendations?

A quick scan indicates the 5360B is maybe meant for the South American/Brazilian market? But it does look like it supports 850 MHz 3G. The 5360T (T for Telstra) version should also support 850 MHz 3G. Neither would work on the AIS/One-2-Call 900 MHz 3G network

A quick scan indicates the 5360B is maybe meant for the South American/Brazilian market? But it does look like it supports 850 MHz 3G. The 5360T (T for Telstra) version should also support 850 MHz 3G. Neither would work on the AIS/One-2-Call 900 MHz 3G network

Officialy distributed by Samsung here, came boxed with all the Thai localizations....

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Thaivisa Connect App

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

My phone's details are as follows:

• Model Number: GT-S5360
  • Android Version: 2.3.6
  • Baseband: S5360DXLA1

I bought it in Thailand.

Based on this I am pretty sure your phone supports 900 MHz 3G which is what is offered by AIS/One-2-Call.

You could experiment with both tethering - connecting the phone to your PC via a USB connection and using at as a dial-up modem, or Mobile AP, whereby you create a WiFi AP on the phone and share that with other WiFi-compatible devices.

I would strongly recommend you subscribe to a mobile data plan first. Maybe the 49 baht/day plan, just to get a feel for how your phone works as a modem or 3G router.

http://www.ais.co.th/mobileinternet/en/internet-package/#2

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the help. I will give that a try in the next few days. Is the one day 24 hours or calendar day, do you know?

I see monthly unlimited is 799 baht per month. That sounds like quite a lot.

Are there any ISPs/networks that offer home fixed line internet and mobile 3g in one package?

Thanks again.

Wifi tethering is great but will drain your battery faster than a bg will empty your wallet. USB tethering no problem.

That said, I no longer do. I bought a Huawei mifi and put a cat chip in it. At home I have 3 phones and 2 laptops all using it. Doing that I've managed to cut down to only 1 'data plan' (the cat one) and don't bother with a data plan on my or the wife's phones because our usage on 3g (when we're 'away' from the mifi) is very minimal. If I'm going to be doing something outside that could use a lot of data (e.g. playing Ingress, using waze etc) I simply take the mifi with me, in the car and/or in my pocket. Huge fan of the mifi, essential for me because I can't get (hardline) internet at home, too remote. Not so essential/useful if you already have internet/wifi at home, but still worth considering imho.

Thanks for the help. I will give that a try in the next few days. Is the one day 24 hours or calendar day, do you know?

I see monthly unlimited is 799 baht per month. That sounds like quite a lot.

Are there any ISPs/networks that offer home fixed line internet and mobile 3g in one package?

Thanks again.

Assuming you want to stay with pre-paid, and want to combine voice, text and mobile data - and knowing that your phone supports 900 MHz 3G - your best bet might be the 2 GB/550 THB plan with One-2-Call.

Obviously you should verify coverage first.

I assume the 40 baht daily plan is good for 24 hours rather than a calendar day, but surely an extra 49 baht to verify the application will not break your bank?

There are some tie-ins, particularly on True for fixed-line broadband access and mobile (and cable TV and home phone) but these of course require residency, contracts, etc., and may ultimately provide limited value. You'd have to review each one to see how it might benefit your exact requirements and situation.

I did the 49 baht a day package and it seems to be for 24 hours rather than a calendar day.

It worked pretty well on my phone and was a mixture of "H" and "E" (the icons on the phone) throughout the day. Not sure which each means? What would 3G be?

I couldn't get tethering to work though. I managed to setup the wifi hotspot on the phone and connect to that hotspot with my laptop but could not load a web page or download email etc.

Then I tried USB tethering. The phone was charging and had the USB icon and the Kies Samsung phone management application said the phone was connected but I couldn't see how to use the phones internet connection.

I will do a bit of research and see if I can find out what is going wrong.

For 49 baht a day it is a great service for occasional use on the phone though!

I've since run out of credit so will have to top up. Is there a way to top up AIS credit pre-pay online or do I have to go to the shop?

Thanks for all the help.

@bobi: I'm not familiar with mifi so will have a look into that. Thanks.

'H' for HSPA and 'E' for EDGE.

I bought my 'Mifi' (ZTE MF60) for the equivalent of 600 baht when my local network had a sale. Useful things to have.

Probably closer to 3000 baht here. Cheapest models start from around 2000 baht here.

The 799 baht package is just for 3GB of data. There are two packages above that. 5GB for 899 baht and 7GB for 999 baht. All three have unlimited EDGE type speeds after the faster 3G allowance has been used up.

AIS also has a WiFi service. Available dependent on your location.

My phone's details are as follows:

• Android Version: 2.3.6

I couldn't get tethering to work though. I managed to setup the wifi hotspot on the phone and connect to that hotspot with my laptop but could not load a web page or download email etc.

Then I tried USB tethering. The phone was charging and had the USB icon and the Kies Samsung phone management application said the phone was connected but I couldn't see how to use the phones internet connection.

I will do a bit of research and see if I can find out what is going wrong.

For 49 baht a day it is a great service for occasional use on the phone though!

Some people report issues with Mobile AP and USB Tethering on Android 2.3.6.

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/mobile/YwJdHBhmX-s%5B1-25-false%5D

Maybe search through some forums to see if there is a fix/work-around.

It seems like your USB drivers are OK, and the Mobile AP works - at least for creating a local WiFi network - so not sure what to say. Unless you can find a fix (software update, custom ROM) then you may have to get a USB Aircard. You can buy these for as little as 1,000 baht these days. A MiFI device would be good if you have multiple devices (phone, PC) requiring internet connectivtiy. Obviously you'd need a second SIM, or be prepared to swap your current SIM in/out/between your phone and USB Aircard/MiFi device.

http://www.totalaircard.com/categories/%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%B7%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%81-Aircard-%E0%B8%88%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%A8%E0%B8%B9%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%A2%E0%B9%8C%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A3/AIS-Aircard/

http://www.totalaircard.com/categories/3G-Router/3G-Mobile-MiFi/

Thanks for the posts guys.

I topped up my credit and the internet is back on the following day. Does that mean I have to unsubscribe from the 49 baht a day package?

No, I do not think so. Rather your account/balance is being depleted for each minute or KB of data used as you are not currently subscribed to a data plan.

I am fairly certain the 49 baht/day plan does not automatically renew, rather one needs to re-subscribe each day.

Obviously, you would be well advised to either turn off mobile data (Settings, Wireless and networks, Mobile networks, make sure Mobile data is not ticked), or (re-) subscribe to a data plan.

That would make sense! Just burned through 200 baht in less than a day.

Do you know the number to dial to find out the existing balance for the regular pre paid balance?

I can't find it online, only ones for hearing the remaining SMS etc

Thanks.