How To Raise A Tender Cow

jaideeguy

I miss tender beef and refuse to pay 400+/kilo for imported US or OZ beef.

on top of all the yada yada by resident learned conoisseurs and gourmets let me add my two barbarian Satangs of haute cuisine non-wisdom acquired in the african bush:

marinate beef in between layers of papaya and after 48 hours you have transformed the oldest and toughest buffalo into Kobe Steak. this advice is free of charge!

L-dog%20very%20small.jpg

on top of all the yada yada by resident learned conoisseurs and gourmets let me add my two barbarian Satangs of haute cuisine non-wisdom acquired in the african bush:

marinate beef in between layers of papaya and after 48 hours you have transformed the oldest and toughest buffalo into Kobe Steak. this advice is free of charge!

L-dog%20very%20small.jpg

Papaya is age old tenderizer. But it makes the meat chew like mush. If it was any good do you think restaurants would spend the money for choice and prime beef?

L-dog%20very%20small.jpg

Papaya is age old tenderizer. But it makes the meat chew like mush. If it was any good do you think restaurants would spend the money for choice and prime beef?

how do you know what kind of money restaurants spend for "choice and prime" beef? smile.png the only thing we know is what they charge whistling.gif

p.s. it's an art to use papaya as a tenderiser and the real artists do not generate mush. there are other tricks (herbs) to fast-track "age" beef but most people don't know that "ageing" is nothing than the first steps of protein decay.

L-dog%20very%20small.jpg

how do you know what kind of money restaurants spend for "choice and prime" beef? smile.png the only thing we know is what they charge whistling.gif

p.s. it's an art to use papaya as a tenderiser and the real artists do not generate mush. there are other tricks (herbs) to fast-track "age" beef but most people don't know that "ageing" is nothing than the first steps of protein decay.

One of my first jobs out of college was a meat buyer for a famous 100 year old restaurant in Chicago. There is a lot of funny stuff goes on in the meat industry but using papaya is reserved for the really cheap budget in the slums steak houses that also pound the beef before cooking. People get in the hotel business many ways I came from the food and beverage side. Aging beef is quite a bit more than just decay as the temperature and humidity of the aging rooms are completely regulated to very tight tolerances. Prime beef is rare these days. Buckhead in Atlanta still sells it I think but I think Sysco food service bought them a few years ago so who knows now. The closest good beef to Thailand is Lawry's Prime Rib Singapore. And they don't serve Prime. Steaks 20 to 94 dollars.

Wagyu Dry-Aged Bone-In Strip SteakThis cut has steak written all over it. Also known as club steak or Delmonico, you won’t find this Wagyu version of the classic steakhouse cut just anywhere.

Not only is it American Wagyu, it’s dry-aged American Wagyu—on the bone—for extra flavor.

1 (12 oz.) Dry-Aged Wagyu Bone-In Strip Steak $83.98 1 (14 oz.) Dry-Aged Wagyu Bone-In Strip Steak $97.98 1 (16 oz.) Dry-Aged Wagyu Bone-In Strip Steak $111.98

http://www.lobels.co...m.aspx?item=125

Edited by chiangmaikelly

Kelly, you crack me up. This is the Farming in Thailand forum and the OP is about trying to raise a good beef in Thailand using a Thai animal.

I left the discussion a while back when I wasn't getting anywhere trying to discuss the possibilities of making some good beef out of what's possibly available in Thailand, as the OP asked.

I think I could do a pretty good job, considering what's now raised in Thailand, using Thailand herds. It wouldn't be what you can find in Manhattan at $100 a plate, but I don't think there are even many tourists to Thailand who have experienced that. I think those people are vacationing on their yachts in the Mediterranean. :)

I concede that all of your points are correct. I simply don't happened to yearn for a feedlot or aging room for upper Manhattan. :)

You two should get together on this. The upper class here, no the insanely rich, would simply have to have this top dollar American delicacy. It would be a matter of Face, an absolute priority. You are lighting up my long dormant marketing buttons. Even the name for the steakhouse, "The tender cow."

Oh well, in WC's own words, "...but I'll be sober in the morning. 5555

You two should get together on this. The upper class here, no the insanely rich, would simply have to have this top dollar American delicacy. It would be a matter of Face, an absolute priority. You are lighting up my long dormant marketing buttons. Even the name for the steakhouse, "The tender cow."

What about these Tony and I've got 4 more in the fridge waiting for my birthday dinner party on Saturday night. Want to come. I'll pick you up at Manchester Airport.

They are 10oz Ribeye's from a 13 month old 4 way Composite breed reared on grass in the Yorkshire wolds

post-64535-0-83760800-1357654518_thumb.j

Aging beef is quite a bit more than just decay as the temperature and humidity of the aging rooms are completely regulated to very tight tolerances.

it's decay regulated within very tight tolerances, nevertheless it is decay wink.png

What about these Tony and I've got 4 more in the fridge waiting for my birthday dinner party on Saturday night. Want to come. I'll pick you up at Manchester Airport.

They are 10oz Ribeye's from a 13 month old 4 way Composite breed reared on grass in the Yorkshire wolds

post-64535-0-83760800-1357654518_thumb.j

all that fat = YUCK!

Aging beef is quite a bit more than just decay as the temperature and humidity of the aging rooms are completely regulated to very tight tolerances.

it's decay regulated within very tight tolerances, nevertheless it is decay wink.png

I suppose you eat beef in rigor?

Naam

Teeth and bones decay, flesh decomposes but at 1 to 2c refridgeration this process is halted.

I remember back in the seventies it was common practice in the States to inject live cattle with citric acid (from Fruit) 24 hours before slaughter as this had the effect of tenderizing the meat. It was later banned for Animal Welfare reasons.

I suppose you eat beef in rigor?

Naam

Teeth and bones decay, flesh decomposes but at 1 to 2c refridgeration this process is halted.

I remember back in the seventies it was common practice in the States to inject live cattle with citric acid (from Fruit) 24 hours before slaughter as this had the effect of tenderizing the meat. It was later banned for Animal Welfare reasons.

decay / decomposition = "same same not different" for somebody like me who has acquired English as third language. but whatever, i insist that "aging" due to enzymes breaking down the "connectivity" of the tissue is one of the first stages of decomposition. and that no matter what aficionados of tender beef believe. bon appétit! tongue.png

Several years ago, I attended a week-long course at Kasetsart University to further study all aspects of cattle farming including techniques on tenderising beef (as an aside, I was the first, if not still the only, foreigner to join the course). Professor Uthai stated that the best way, in his opinion, was to add a few drops (and I do mean drops) of papaya sap (which is papain) to the meat. The enzymes work immediately – ready in minutes. Add too much and you’ll be eating your steak with a straw! I don’t often eat beef (whilst my wife is happy to cook it, she doesn’t eat beef) but when I do, my wife always adds papaya sap. It does alter the taste of the beef slightly, but pleasantly, and it has many health benefits. It is particularly good for the poor quality local beef.

Rgds

Khonwan

The best beef I have ever ever eaten was in Australia, a buffalo heifer, it was chased by helicopter for some distance, it was shot in the back, rolled head over heals, it was circa 12 months old, little bit less actually and the backstrap was cut out and thrown on the fire within 30 minutes of being deaded.

The flavour and tenderness was outstanding.....all for the cost of 1 bullet....oh and a helicopter at several hundred dollars per hour.

Top ten steaks.

http://www.askmen.co..._wine_dine.html

Number 1,Steak frites, Le Relais de Venise, Paris, France

Or.

1. Kobe Beef, Kobe, Japan.

2. Dry-aged beef in Hermosillo, Mexico.

3. Southern Brazil, near Curitiba.

4. Lockhart, Texas, most of all the brisket at Schmitty’s.

Although my personal opinion for tender flavorful beef is USDA Choice Black Angus prime rib of beef cooked a minimum of 18 hours in an Alto Shaam or similar oven. In addition to being the most flavorful and tenderest this method is also 50% or better less expensive than using dry aged or wagyu .

Can you taste beef cooked in this method? Sure. http://www.lawrysonline.com/

Except I don't think Lawry's uses Black Angus but it is close.

post-73727-0-73618500-1358234004_thumb.j

post-73727-0-02365200-1358234059_thumb.j