Dengue Fever On The Rise Thailand; 10,000 Patients In Bangkok Last Year

webfact

As far as Pattaya is concerned no wonder Dengue is on the increase as the prevention is on the decrease. Some years ago I regularly saw trucks spraying against mosquitoes around town. I also saw people with backpack equipment spraying down the open drain holes. In the last 5 years since I caught Dengue I've not seen any sign of either.

Well this is worthy of being a topic, one wonders will it attract as much attention as our flying saucer did the other day, one can assume all arrears are infected in Bangkok, I am at present at work in a Malaria / Dengue mine site , the guys caught a Malaria mozzy early afternoon so much for the theory of between sunset and sunrise, no risks ,long sleeve shirts ,long legged pants ,plenty of repellent, stay in doors as much as possible, even if it is a bar , no sleeping outside .

it ssems you are having trouble differentiating. it is the dengue mosquito that is active in the day, not malaria.

i would also like to point out that mosquitoes do not keep strict schedules, if disturbed they can appear active anytime

Edited by tinfoilhat

I caught it last month (probably from Bangkok). I was mis-diagnosed twice by local GPs and was later admitted to hospital for 3 days after I kept getting worse barely being able to walk straight. Horrible pesky Mosquitos! I take a electro racket with me now on my travels!

Whats an electro racket ?

Skrillex

Those of you who have had Dengue before, like me, are more susceptible to dying on the 2nd round. So don't fool around with this. Simple measures like clearing stagnant water pools (pots, pans, tyres - anything that can contain water and wearing repellents) is critical to keeping this out of your homes. If you have ponds of water, put fish into them as they will eat the larvae. An excellent guide can be found here - http://www.dengue.gov.sg/

Not necessarily. I have a friend who has had it 6 times so far.

He is far from dead.

But 100% yes to all the remedies to prevent transmission.

Those of you who have had Dengue before, like me, are more susceptible to dying on the 2nd round. So don't fool around with this. Simple measures like clearing stagnant water pools (pots, pans, tyres - anything that can contain water and wearing repellents) is critical to keeping this out of your homes. If you have ponds of water, put fish into them as they will eat the larvae. An excellent guide can be found here - http://www.dengue.gov.sg/

Not necessarily. I have a friend who has had it 6 times so far.

He is far from dead.

But 100% yes to all the remedies to prevent transmission.

I have had dengue 4 times...not proud of it either...however only one

time was Dengue Haemmoragic...thought I was gonna die. It is

stated in many medical journals (Lancet & CDC) that one builds

up an immunity of sorts to the strain of Dengue one contracts &

I believe that wholeheartedly...however one still gets awfully sick.

Some advice to pass here...Dengue & the flu start the same but

the flu usually gets better within 5 to 7 days. If you feel worse on

the 5th day go to a hospital ASAP. Dengue is treatable only for

symptoms; fever, aches etc There is no vaccine or cure.

That's good info in the link....

Edited by sunshine51

Good question. I'm not sure that it works on all species of mosquito, but i imagine a simple Citronella spray is better than using nothing and it is a natural non-toxic product.

I posted about Citronella and DEET some time ago. "Natural" doesn't mean "safe". And Citronella sucks as a repellent.

Edited by Finnegan

74,250 people were infected with the disease – 79 fatally...

To put it in perspective, you have a .00106 % chance of dying from Dengue,

Malaria is worse, worse still is trying to cross Beach Rd in Patters. blink.png

Redo your calculation , Thats about 1 on thousand so it is 0.106 % . But anyway

Edited by Obiwan

Whats an electro racket ?

An Electronic Device,built exactly the same as a Tennis Racket,has a button on the handle which completes the battery circuit,wave it around mosquitoes and watch them being zapped,on the bat wire strings,very effective.Rechargeable Batteries are built in,on some.Very cheap @ 100-150 Baht.

Good question. I'm not sure that it works on all species of mosquito, but i imagine a simple Citronella spray is better than using nothing and it is a natural non-toxic product.

I posted about Citronella and DEET some time ago. "Natural" doesn't mean "safe". And Citronella sucks as a repellent.

Point/s taken - but note i said Citronella 'better than nothing' - as i was responding to someone who seemed likely to use nothing at all due to worries about 'toxins'. I didn't realise though that there were any safety concerns about Citronella - thanks for that.

Point/s taken - but note i said Citronella 'better than nothing' - as i was responding to someone who seemed likely to use nothing at all due to worries about 'toxins'. I didn't realise though that there were any safety concerns about Citronella - thanks for that.

I had read where Listerine works as a mosquito repellent. So, living in a woods, we were quite sceptical. Tried it and it worked like a dream. We have a fogger and have used other aerosol sprays on the market. Now, we just keep Listerine around. Cheap and doesn't taste all that bad if you get any on your mouth. When sitting out we put some in a spray bottle and spray the area/grass. When picking raspberries, working in the yard, etc., I put some on my skin. Also, we have used fabric softener sheets in the kids pockets when they are out playing. So far so good. I hope it works for you too. Now if I could find something that works in the pool to keep the flies and sweat bees from biting. Any ideas?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Hi maturebrit

Thanks for the tip about Listerine - will pick up a large bottle on my next trip to Tesco.

Off topic, but you mentioned raspberries. Which area of Thailand are you growing them? I'd love to grow them in our garden in Phetchabun, but expect they need a cooler climate than we have here.

Cheers!

R21

Hi maturebrit

Thanks for the tip about Listerine - will pick up a large bottle on my next trip to Tesco.

Off topic, but you mentioned raspberries. Which area of Thailand are you growing them? I'd love to grow them in our garden in Phetchabun, but expect they need a cooler climate than we have here.

Cheers!

R21

no problem... I said raspberries but its a Thai fruit that her indoors planted.... no bleedin idea what the name is....

Get a plant spray bottle and spray around the vicinity.... I spray some around the floor in bedroom too...

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

What parts of Bangkok are it most prevalent?

My sister-in-law's kids came down with it a few weeks back. When she told a neighbor, the neighbor fired off a laundry list of people people who had it. This was at the east end of Chinatown, a stone's throw from Hualumpong. So, there's one area.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi maturebrit

We had my wife's birthday BBQ evening in the new Sala in our garden yesterday. With 5 of our farang friends and their partners round, was worried about mozzie problems so sprayed the floor, bench seats and table with Listerine, as you suggested.

Not bothered at all by any mozzies. It worked a treat. Many thanks for your great advice!

Cheers!

R21

Sounds great - however any issues with stains, including after exposure of treated areas to sunlight? Any interaction with materials like soft plastics, wood, etc.? Does it leave a sticky residue?

The hardwood was coated in a lacquer (like "shellac") and so it doesn't affect the wood. No plastic involved. Cushion covers are washable. Some slightly greasy, rather than sticky, residue on the wood, but it rained overnight and washed most of it away. A quick wipe over all surfaces, including the floor, with a damp cloth in the morning (primarily to dry up the overnight rain) and it was as good as new by breakfast.

• Like 1