Networking 2 Notebooks

agsnowdon

Hi

I want to network 2 notebooks which are in the same room and both use OS windows xp.

I'm sure the cheapest and easiest way to do it would be to buy a Cat5e Moulded UTP Crossover Cable and then run the network setup wizzard.

But today I went in search of one of these cables in Chiang Mai and everyone offered me these hubs which I don't see the need for as I'm only conecting 2 notebooks. Also I gathered from them that Thailand no longer has these cables. Seems a bit odd?

Can anyone help me with these few questions?

1 using the cat5e Moulded UTP Crossover Cable will the 2nd notebook be able to use the first notebooks internet connection?

2 any tips on how to setup the network and what to select when using the wizzard.

3 and ideas on where to get this cable from? I have checked ebay and they will not post to asia. Do you know stores in CM or any online stores that post to worldwide as my normal port of call is ebuyer and they only post to the U.K.

Thanks for all your help, I know it will come thick and fast.

Thanks Ash :o

Hi

I want to network 2 notebooks which are in the same room and both use OS windows xp.

I'm sure the cheapest and easiest way to do it would be to buy a Cat5e Moulded UTP Crossover Cable and then run the network setup wizzard.

But today I went in search of one of these cables in Chiang Mai and everyone offered me these hubs which I don't see the need for as I'm only conecting 2 notebooks. Also I gathered from them that Thailand no longer has these cables. Seems a bit odd?

1 using the cat5e Moulded UTP Crossover Cable will the 2nd notebook be able to use the first notebooks internet connection?

2 any tips on how to setup the network and what to select when using the wizzard.

3 and ideas on where to get this cable from? I have checked ebay and they will not post to asia. Do you know stores in CM or any online stores that post to worldwide as my normal port of call is ebuyer and they only post to the U.K.

Thanks Ash :o

If they both have Infrared then you can use that. its slower than using the nics but its cheap ;-)

Greg

Hi

Thanks Ash :D

Whoever told you Thailand has no such cables was either stoned, full of shit, or both :D

All you need to do is go to a computer store that has UTP cable on a roll, you tell them how many meters you need and they'll ask you if you want the connectors to be PC-to-PC or PC-to-HUB...tell them you want PC-to-PC, they'll make the appropriate connection, and that will be all.

As for the software side of things, just run the Home Networking Setup Wizard on the XP computer with the Internet connection and follow the instructions there (including what to do on your other PC) and you'll be all set :o

You can have one made as stated above...

But, some modern NICs will auto-detect and crossover on their own if you connect with a straight cable, so you might just try that first if you already have a cable!

I think they are less common purchases these days because switches have become so dirt cheap and so many "broadband routers" now have switches built in too.

U can make the network in any of the following ways in 2 notebooks:

1. Use the Cat5 cable, PC to PC, i.e. crossover/cross-connect

2. use infra-red to connect pcs, however, some resources may not be accessible

3. use wi-fi n connect them (i never tried it though, but i believe that this will work)

Windows XP can help u to setup the network and its quite easy.

If u need further help, pm me, I tell u more in details.