American Expat Found Dead In Nong Khai Home

webfact

Maybe it is just me, but who really feels at home in the LOS? When I was living there living with my ex Thai wife and trying to get her and daughter back to the U.S. I never really felt I belonged in their click maybe in a fleeting moment when I pulled out the ATM card and graciously paid for meals, rent, loans etc. It eventually dawned on me that in Thailand and even out of country, Thais are for Thais and they tend to never truly accept other nationalities in their circle of trust and true friends. The country is beautiful in its own way and the people are friendly and accepting to a certain point but for the most part it is not genuine like other countries. I feel for the American who passed away in the LOS but maybe he went there with a death wish like so many others before him.

Well, speak for yourself. I have been here many years and feel quite at home with Thai wife and her family. I have never once been asked for any financial support for wife's family in over 24 years of marriage.

• Like 1

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe it is just me, but who really feels at home in the LOS? When I was living there living with my ex Thai wife and trying to get her and daughter back to the U.S. I never really felt I belonged in their click maybe in a fleeting moment when I pulled out the ATM card and graciously paid for meals, rent, loans etc. It eventually dawned on me that in Thailand and even out of country, Thais are for Thais and they tend to never truly accept other nationalities in their circle of trust and true friends. The country is beautiful in its own way and the people are friendly and accepting to a certain point but for the most part it is not genuine like other countries. I feel for the American who passed away in the LOS but maybe he went there with a death wish like so many others before him.

Well, speak for yourself. I have been here many years and feel quite at home with Thai wife and her family. I have never once been asked for any financial support for wife's family in over 24 years of marriage.

Hadn't seen that post that you just quoted but he doesn't speak for me either.

In my 20 years with my wife, she has been asked for support a couple times and come to ask me - but only on occasions when her siblings and their Thai spouses have also been asked; and truth be told, my sisters in law and their husbands have done somehwat more than I have over the years (and I get along with them very well and they have always been on my side and showed high regard for me).

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

Edited by SteeleJoe

Not being missed for 10 days, and then only by his ex. Not sure what dream you are talking about. Seems the man had no mates. I hope I never end up in this way. Sad, really.

Many people are quite satisfied with their own company and do not need or want "mates", any more than they need or want to watch sport or frequent bars.

Of course if he did want that and couldn't get it for whatever reason, that would indeed be sad.

Well said Bertha , i have been a `loner` (whatever it means) all my live , and it suits me fine.

I also live `up north ` with my Thai bride & our 2 girls , i love it .

You can keep Pattaya , Phuket , and the rest of the in places .

Most of the expats I know who retired here are not really interested with integrating into Thai society.

They have their farang friends and they are happy with that.

They play golf, drink and chat with their mates.

They realise they have nothing in common with most Thais and have no interest in mixing with working class Thais.

Most dont speak thai and are not interested in learning thai.

Frankly I think they may be better of than those that hang around looking for approval from Thais who are almost invariably of lower social status but of course feel they are better than the farang.

I know quite a few working class retired Westerners.

I certainly don't feel superior to the Thais around me. Regardless of my background, most Thais see me as a foreigner and have already made up their mind that I don't belong ANYWHERE on the social hierarchy due to the large amount they've seen that don't want to integrate with Thais, learn the language and quite frankly, IMO feel they are superior to Thai people.

The sooner that one of the requirements for long-term visas is to be proficient in the Thai language the better. Then the 'farang' will become more accepted into Thai society, as the Indians or Chinese were.

Edited by Neeranam

Now I spend my days on the internet or watching TV and only leave the house for the monthly shopping or for a cheap lunch once or twice a week with family or a couple of neighbor friends.

Exactly what my friends in the USA do, but it's a lot more expensive.

As a corollary to Kuhn Neeranam's #124 post above, one way to increase one's chances of a good life in Thailand is to never hook-up with a Thai girl who speaks English. If she does speak English, odds are you weren't the first farang on the dance card.

As a corollary to Kuhn Neeranam's #124 post above, one way to increase one's chances of a good life in Thailand is to never hook-up with a Thai girl who speaks English. If she does speak English, odds are you weren't the first farang on the dance card.

Utter rubbish, as if speaking English (a mandatory language taught in every school and university in the country for many years) is a marker for fidelity or sexual experience!

• Like 2

Funny. Pretty much the behavior that is shown here is the kind of behavior that makes the Thai people couldn't care less. Why not get your own life, stop gossiping about other (dead) people like little kids, look in the mirror and ask YOURSELF am I a happy person. If not, it is your problem. Nobody else's. Get a life, cheers.

You got that right, there's some sad and pathetic loosers in this thread posting tales of how the world has done them wrong.

Kuhn ChiangMai -- Utter rubbish? Thank you.

All one knows is if they do not speak English, odds are they have not been on the make for an eligible farang. If they do speak English, maybe so. But have you ever seen one of those English speaking gals at the internet shops with an address book containing hundreds of email addresses and Facebook profiles?

from the 'The Untouchables' as spoken by Sean Connery:

If you're afraid of getting a rotten apple, don't go to the barrel. Get it off the tree.

Most of the expats I know who retired here are not really interested with integrating into Thai society.

They have their farang friends and they are happy with that.

They play golf, drink and chat with their mates.

They realise they have nothing in common with most Thais and have no interest in mixing with working class Thais.

Most dont speak thai and are not interested in learning thai.

Frankly I think they may be better of than those that hang around looking for approval from Thais who are almost invariably of lower social status but of course feel they are better than the farang.

I know quite a few working class retired Westerners.

I certainly don't feel superior to the Thais around me. Regardless of my background, most Thais see me as a foreigner and have already made up their mind that I don't belong ANYWHERE on the social hierarchy due to the large amount they've seen that don't want to integrate with Thais, learn the language and quite frankly, IMO feel they are superior to Thai people.

The sooner that one of the requirements for long-term visas is to be proficient in the Thai language the better. Then the 'farang' will become more accepted into Thai society, as the Indians or Chinese were.

The longest visa is a year.

Kuhn ChiangMai -- Utter rubbish? Thank you.

All one knows is if they do not speak English, odds are they have not been on the make for an eligible farang. If they do speak English, maybe so. But have you ever seen one of those English speaking gals at the internet shops with an address book containing hundreds of email addresses and Facebook profiles?

from the 'The Untouchables' as spoken by Sean Connery:

If you're afraid of getting a rotten apple, don't go to the barrel. Get it off the tree.

No I have never seen those girls you speak of in the internet shops, have you ever seen any of those nurses in any of the hospitals here who take care of you when you're sick, the ones who speak very good English; and the doctors who treated you who are required to learn English before they are allowed to practise; and the Tourist Police officers who need to speak English because of their work; the employees of so many corporates in Bangkok and elsewhere who must speak English in order to do their jobs; the department store employees who serve you, the airline staff at swampy etc; the receptionists and staff at the five star hotels who need to speak your native toungue so you can stay there, and so on and so on!

But just to extend your fractured logic somewhat: if you select a non-English speaking Thai partner you can be assured she has never been with another farang you say. That would certainly be true I suppose in the case of English speaking farangs although I am English and speak Thai fairly fluently, but I wonder if you could ever be certain she had never had a Russian, Spanish, Scandanavian etc partner unless you went to live with her in one of those countries and realised that all of a sudden she understands the language!!!

• Like 2

One problem I can see of hooking up with a Thai girl who speaks English is that there will be less motivation to learn Thai.

I understand what you are saying but it really is dependent on the circumstances you meet her.

When you've been here for years,other signs become obvious - grammatical style, vocabulary used etc. One of the most obvious that I know is when I meet a friends gf and she doesn't wai me, not that I want to be waied.

Dead over NYE how desperately sad?

Problem is we all move here for a better life but in doing so for the most part lose feeling part of a community.

R.I.P Ronnie.

Para,

There are still plenty of places in Thailand where one definitely feels a sense of community. Saying that, I've noticed for all the years I've been here, that the sense of community is falling by the wayside.

If one looks at other countries, the same trend has been around for some time. Cities being the worst for lack of community / neighborly...

RIP Ronnie...

I can't speak of any of the countries in Europe; however, after spending 6 years in Thailand and with a GF and kids most of the time, I couldn't wait to leave. I completely get what Para is saying. I was in Para's position of not being able to come back due to not having a job and not affording to leave the one I had in Thailand. It was 2 years of prospecting and waiting out the crappy economy until I got an awesome company to hire me over Skype. The job is in a beach community just north of San Diego, California. I was very concerned about the cost of living, the SoCal culture, and the possibility that America had changed so much I'd be very disappointed and regretting the move back when I got here (I hadn't visited in that 6 yrs).

Well, unbelievable, the people, weather, streets (I bike to work), beaches, cleanliness, business attitudes, far cheaper rents and food than I ever expected, sense of community, endless activities, parks, nightlife, big name entertainment, dozens and dozens of microbrews, beach runs, endless mountain biking trails out my front door, 2 hours to snowboarding, 30+ year old California women that make 30+ year old Thai women (assuming you get married and don't spend your entire remaining life chasing lowlife bar girls) look like soi dog meat, and on and on and on.

Everyday when I ride my bike to work (and I'm 59) I am so thankful that I don't have to be on edge ready to die dodging the crazy F'n drivers in Thailand. I went to a popular outdoor sports store and bought mtn running shoes. I wore them for 3 months about 40 times, but I bought them half-size too small. I went to buy a second pair and the guy said to bring the first ones back, no questions guarantee of satisfaction. He said if I had wore them for a year or even longer, it would be the same. Now try and find that kind of business in Thailand. When I went through immigration flying into LAX, the immigration police chatted with me and sincerely welcomed me back when I mentioned I had been gone a long time. Get that at immigration in Thailand. When my Issan fiance (we are applying for a Fiance visa right now to get her and the kids to eventually be US citizens) goes to Robinson's makeup counter, she can't even get waited on (I make six-figures and she shows it). In the US, she will be equal to everyone else and my kids won't have to grow up with the kind of F'd up prejudice found in Thailand.

If I was rich, I'd pay for Para to live her just so he could get out as I did. I can't image the kind of crap hole all of the rest of you came from to think Thailand is an up tick. Now, if you come from a really messed up country (fortunately, despite its problems, the US ain't one), then I feel sorry for you too. But if your home country is not messed up, I can't imagine you staying in Thailand for any reason than cheap kittie(synonym), and if that's it, then you are the kind of person who probably doesn't care about community or quality of life anyhow.

Intersting but somewhat cynical post seems to be megga self interst

To all you people who complain about the lack of feeling as a part of a community, either you must all be terribly unlucky, or I be extremely lucky.

I have never had better neighbours than I have here. And all the talk about "it all will end when the money runs out" I can't understand as well.

I don't have a lot of money. My official monthly income here is not that good, even though a little higher than some of my friends I seldom get more than 20k/month. Which I succeed to live plenty on without touching my reserves.

I never had to pay for anyone as well. Sure, sometimes if being out with friends I may end up paying the bill for a bottle of whiskey, ice and mixers. But then again there's so many times I went out with the same people and someone else offered to pay the bill. I did help my ex mom with her hospital bills and surgery for cancer, but it's not like I was asked to.

I do share a 3 room condo with a friend here. And I pay 4000 and she 2000. personally I would have no problem to pay it all, but it makes her feel better to share, so our final agreement was this since I couldn't agree with 50/50 since my room is about the double size of hers.

I come from Sweden, and worked a lot of time in Norway. And I'm used to good salaries of 200k+ baht. But although my income is way less than what it used to be, my life quality has improved plenty.

To be a part of a community, you must want to be a part of the culture and customs that surrounds you. In Norway I had a Somalian Mosque as neighbours. Although they where all very friendly and I got along with them great. Their lack of will to be a part of the Norwegian community (as well as the Norwegians lack of will to open-heartily accept theirs) made them always feel like a sub-group of the community. Which tied their bands tighter between their families and friends, and made the segregation bigger.

I guess many of you speak fluent Thai by now as well. But language is not enough. If you don't have the will or the heart open for the culture that surrounds you, which include all the positive as well as the negative sides, then the surrounding wont accept you as well. But way to often I read statements like "So typical Thai this, so typical Thai that" in a negative context. But everything is not great here, far from it. Everything is not great in Europe or US as well. Nor anywhere else in this world. But as long as you keep on blaming the Thais for this and that you will create a bigger gap and a stronger feeling Them and You...

In another post where some westerner was shot to death on koh Phangan, someone wrote something like: "he only killed a Farang, doesn't count as human". What kind of BS is that?? Sure there are Thais who somewhat has that kind of attitude. But who are you guys to say anything? you who constantly complain on their lack of intelligence, their lack of understanding, their lack of this their lack of that. You who speak about their women as mere objects for your pleasures. You who come with you cash and treat the world as it's for sale.. Well, you're right, the world is partly for sale. There's always a huge demand for money. But no supply without demand. And for having to stand all the crap and the negative comments from westerners. I think the Thais are way more tolerant than most of you would be in an opposite situation.

I still encounter the slightly racist "Farang this Farang that" when people don't think I understand what they are talking about. And I still have a huge problem with taxis and others treating me like a Backpacker who they can fool and scam easily. But these are all people who doesn't know me. And let's face it, those kind of stereotypes can be found all around the world, just that usually at home we stand on the Safe side...

I had a situation on the border in Aranya in 2006 when the cops "stole" 50,000 from me. First of I didn't have 50,000, so my ex girlfriends step-dad (a Thai Muslim) paid 20,000 for me. After that I was black until I got back to Sweden 3 weeks later. But during that time her Mom (khmer) gave me her Visa Card and password so I could go to Bangkok and solve all my problem. Although I paid back the 20k I owed the old man, the mother never wanted money back since I had helped them 2 months before... And these stories goes on and on.

To me Thailand is home, and I feel very comfortable in their culture and with their customs. Not that I agree with everything. There are still some things are I strongly disagree with, and some things that simply upsets me. but I've learned to keep that to myself. And I do realize that even if this is where I call home, it's still not my country, just as Norway wasn't my country. Difference is, I feel more a part of the community here, than I ever did in Norway...

Love the people and the culture with an open heart as much as you love the nature of the country and the cheap prices, and people Will love you just as much. No matter where in the world you chose to reside. It's as simple as that...

Cheers

One of my favorite posts ever.

KUDOS.

• Like 2

You remind me of a guy in a bar in Thailand who after overhearing me talking in English to a Thai woman leaned over & said to me "you do know she's been a hooker for a long time to speak good English". With great restraint I informed him we had been living together for 15 years in an English speaking country.

I sincerely admire your self-control.

The t*ats one comes across in bars...not everyone, of course, but there are some astonishingly ignorant digheds out there...

Edited by SteeleJoe
  • Like 2

The odds that a Thai woman who does not speak English is less likely to have been looking for a farang hook up before meeting you seems to me to be a statistical certainty. YMMV.

BTW it seems some of you guys spend a lot of time in bars.

Edited by JLCrab

Theres a tip guys, stick to the girls that speak thai. French, German and Arabic is probably o.k also.

Quote Kuhn Neeranam: It really is dependent on the circumstances you meet her. Isn't it always?

In my first post on this topic, I used the words "chances" and "odds are". I was not dealing in absolutes. Some here want to be of the opinion that it is possible to have a positive existence in Thailand without speaking the language. I would never suggest otherwise. However, one then deprives himself of the simple pleasures of dealing with the common every day Thai persons who do not speak English and for whom you may be their first opportunity to converse with a non-Thai.

Going back to the OP, who knows?, but it is hard to be a known quantity to one's neighbors if they have never had the chance to even exchange a few words with you. As for intimate relationships, I would never suggest that being with a non-speaking Thai female is any guarantee for happiness especially in one's later years when she definitely is not. But it is rarely boring.

Edited by JLCrab

Made that mistake many many years ago. A very greenhorn mistake not wondering where a 21 year old girl learnt to speak German and English so well.

Realised it was a rather limited market to only pursue women who spoke English

The other day I got an email from a neighbour who lives in the flat below mine near London. She says that on 3rd January, when she hadn't heard from the tenant in my flat (man, 57), she called the police who arrived and kicked the door in. He was found dead in the living room (no explanation as to how he died yet). The police reckon that he had been dead for 7 or 8 days. So he died just after Christmas and lay there over the new year. Poor bastard. RIP Robert too.

• Like 1

But just to extend your fractured logic somewhat: if you select a non-English speaking Thai partner you can be assured she has never been with another farang you say. That would certainly be true I suppose in the case of English speaking farangs although I am English and speak Thai fairly fluently, but I wonder if you could ever be certain she had never had a Russian, Spanish, Scandanavian etc partner unless you went to live with her in one of those countries and realised that all of a sudden she understands the language!!!

A non englisch speaking Thai girl haven't worked in the night life, for sure! Or the first german/italian/russian/ .... customer became her bf long time, maybe. (He may have thought about, a 'new girl' is a better choise, as a good englisch speaker!)whistling.gif

No bar girl is learning german or russian or every other language, without knowing the basics for the job, in that language, that supports most profit, in that job: English!

Edited by noob7

Kuhn ChiangMai -- I just noticed your comment #132 What's your problem?

A Thai female who does not speak English (which is the only language that concerns me) is less likely to have considered hooking up with a farang than an English-speaking Thai female whether she is a Chula graduate or an airline captain or a bank vice-president.

With a non-English speaking Thai female you may be the first farang she has ever met which brings a whole range of experiences that you will not encounter if someone has decided that are actively seeking a non-Thai companion for whatever reason.

To me my first post #127 was a simple observation utter rubbish, dighead, 'looser' or otherwise.

Edited by JLCrab

A Thai female who does not speak English (which is the only language that concerns me) is less likely to have considered hooking up with a farang than an English-speaking Thai female whether she is a Chula graduate or an airline captain or a bank vice-president.

With a non-English speaking Thai female you may be the first farang she has ever met which brings a whole range of experiences that you will not encounter if someone has decided that are actively seeking a non-Thai companion for whatever reason.

To me my first post #127 was a simple observation utter rubbish, dighead, 'looser' or otherwise.

Mathematically and statistically your statements are incorrect, but it's good to have observations regardless, even if they are the wrong ones.

Mathematically and statistically your statements are incorrect, but it's good to have observations regardless, even if they are the wrong ones.

I work in an office full of Thai women. Some of whom speak really good English, some a little English, a very few (the maids) speak none. Out of all these women I would guess that one or two out of more than 50 have had a romantic relationship with a foreigner