Some Newbees Info

bubblegum

While my expenses are distributed a bit differently, the sum is quite the same. Less electric, more rent, less bar, more gasoline, no smoke, more internet.

Regarding the driving rules: be very careful near tourist places, especially watch out for tourists on motorbikes. Many of them are driving a scooter (let alone big bike) for the first time in their life.

While my expenses are distributed a bit differently, the sum is quite the same. Less electric, more rent, less bar, more gasoline, no smoke, more internet.

Regarding the driving rules: be very careful near tourist places, especially watch out for tourists on motorbikes. Many of them are driving a scooter (let alone big bike) for the first time in their life.

General rule of thumb seems to be Thais will crash into you and you may crash into a tourist.

I feel that you could get by on a bit less than 50K. I did 30K for about 6 months, was okay.

• 5 months later...

Single guy - beach, swimming, snorkerling, gym, thai food, surfing net,

Phuket

Rent nil-- ( bought lease-hold studio unit)
Water well 100
TV/Internet 850
Electric 2.600-3500 = avg 3000

Smokes 1800

Thai Food/fruits 3500

Car Gasoline 1300
----------
about 12,000 monthly

Shandong china( convert to thai baht) hiking, chinese food, surfing net

Rent 5100-- ( 3rm apt)

Water well 100
TV/Internet 600
Water&Electric 2200

Smokes 1200

Chinese Food/fruits 2000

Bike Gasoline 200
----------
about 8,000 thb monthly

Phuket still win hands down for access to nice beach, swimming pool, snorkerling, gym.wai2.gif

Costs are hard to nail down as it depends so much on your personal circumstances.

My parents are here on a retirement visa and I would say they just about get by on 50,000 a month too. However, I would need over 5 times that with international school fees and the like.

Most expats seem to live in the south of the island but I much prefer the north. It has pretty much everything I need and is so much more pleasant than central and southern Phuket IMO. Having said that, I don't think I have been south of Central in over 5 years but if I were a younger, single guy, I'd probably be quite happy in somewhere like Rawai or Kata.

Sometimes I read posts on here and I just don't recognise the Phuket they are describing. I guess that's one of the advantages of Phuket, there are many different kind of lifestyles that can be enjoyed here and I think most people can find something that suits their taste (though maybe not their budget).

I would agree with the total sum of 50,000 baht/month, but your 15,000 bar bill +1,500 beer at home displays your priorities. Nothing wrong with that, up to you. Most would spend more on rent and that evens up the total amount.

I can do 50 in a pinch but I spend up a bit bigger than that

Good post bubblegum and pretty much spot on to be honest

I too get caught up in calling the f..k.d up things here Phuket when rightly so it should called "Patong Experience "

Maybe this could be the start of let's call in a Patong and not Phuket Topic.

Welldone ....

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Phuket

Water well 100

TV/Internet 850

Smokes 1800

Thai Food/fruits 3500

Car Gasoline 1300

----------

about 12,000 monthly

Rent 5100-- ( 3rm apt)

Water well 100

TV/Internet 600

Water&Electric 2200

Smokes 1200

Chinese Food/fruits 2000

Bike Gasoline 200

----------

about 8,000 thb monthly

Phuket still win hands down for access to nice beach, swimming pool, snorkerling, gym.wai2.gif

Gym fees??

Phuket

Water well 100

TV/Internet 850

Smokes 1800

Thai Food/fruits 3500

Car Gasoline 1300

----------

about 12,000 monthly

Rent 5100-- ( 3rm apt)

Water well 100

TV/Internet 600

Water&Electric 2200

Smokes 1200

Chinese Food/fruits 2000

Bike Gasoline 200

----------

about 8,000 thb monthly

Once again, I do not see insurance in the budget. Chances are, one day, you will need it here.

Patong ist not Phuket/Thailand.

Living on 50.000/month was quite easy 5 years ago. Now it more near 70.000 these days.

Plus insurances and visaruns every 3 month aprox. 20.000/month.

Thai Food/fruits 3500 and gym?cheesy.gif

Phuket

Water well 100

TV/Internet 850

Smokes 1800

Thai Food/fruits 3500

Car Gasoline 1300

----------

about 12,000 monthly

Rent 5100-- ( 3rm apt)

Water well 100

TV/Internet 600

Water&Electric 2200

Smokes 1200

Chinese Food/fruits 2000

Bike Gasoline 200

----------

about 8,000 thb monthly

Gym fees??

Gym is included in the condo in karon hill, comes with swimming pool & gym.thumbsup.gif

I need acess to gym & swimming pool.........though i saved more in china can go down to 6000thb a month but is boring, i'm looking forward to my trip back in phuket nov this yr.

Swimming is available up on MT taishan but the water quality is bad, chinaman seems fine with it diving in...swimming around with ease.wai2.gif

Patong ist not Phuket/Thailand.

Living on 50.000/month was quite easy 5 years ago. Now it more near 70.000 these days.

Plus insurances and visaruns every 3 month aprox. 20.000/month.

Thai Food/fruits 3500 and gym?cheesy.gif

You mean too high??

It can be lesser but tad will be forgoing one of my fav fruits durain.wai2.gif

I know alot of local thai spend lesser than i did....cause they share accommodation cost, split water&electric bills, hm cook ...ride bike to work....etc.

'It is a bit like saying Walking Street is the whole of Bangkok' unlikely since walking street is in pattaya

Yes, and while we are providing lessons in geography, perhaps 'bubblegum' should realise that Bangla is not the whole of Patong. In particular, I note this scrap of advice in the OP's post; 'So if you’re thinking of moving to Phuket and you’re older than 25 you should NOT think about living in Patong'. Then the Op kindly adds, 'Sorry if I offend'. I would have thought it more sensible for him to avoid offending in the first place by keeping his offensive comments to himself. Just who was it who appointed him the judge of where people should live? Better for his credibility to say, 'I don't like (Patong/Bangla/whatever)' and provide his reasons. Perhaps he doesn't realise that most people are capable of digesting information and then making up their own minds...

'It is a bit like saying Walking Street is the whole of Bangkok' unlikely since walking street is in pattaya

Yes, and while we are providing lessons in geography, perhaps 'bubblegum' should realise that Bangla is not the whole of Patong. In particular, I note this scrap of advice in the OP's post; 'So if you’re thinking of moving to Phuket and you’re older than 25 you should NOT think about living in Patong'. Then the Op kindly adds, 'Sorry if I offend'. I would have thought it more sensible for him to avoid offending in the first place by keeping his offensive comments to himself. Just who was it who appointed him the judge of where people should live? Better for his credibility to say, 'I don't like (Patong/Bangla/whatever)' and provide his reasons. Perhaps he doesn't realise that most people are capable of digesting information and then making up their own minds...

I am so sorry !

Just trying to make a useful post for those who are thinking of moving to Phuket. Maybe you could contribute something useful?

^Perhaps I could have put it another way. The vast majority of expats living in Patong are well over 25 and seem to like it here. No, you don't often see them in Bangla, but I grow weary of people trotting out the old 'Patong cesspit' chestnut every couple of months, when many of us find much of the city very liveable. There are opinions I could express about Chalong, Rawai, etc, but to what end? Clearly, some people use this sub-forum to troll. I don't think the OP was doing so in this case, but he realised himself the potential for people being offended. He could have expressed his views in a far more innocuous manner - that is the point I was trying to make. Take it as you will - I have no further comment.