Thai Thinking … So Different From Ours

David48

Living in Korea in the winter I had the floor heating on set at 30 and the aircon on set at 24. Perfect environment as it was still warm yet there was a cool breeze. (Plus I wasn't paying the bills)

You weren't.

The melting glaciers are paying for you.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always have a fan at night ,even did in the UK ,just got used to it .

In the UK? That must have been years ago, or you must be very rich, the cost of electricity has doubled in the last eight years in the UK. Do you know that thousands of OAPs in that much despised country die every year from cold related illnesses because they can't afford to heat their homes, and before any UK ex pat starts, 200GBP per year doesn't come close to helping them.

Thai Thinking … so different from ours ... rolleyes.gif

What have you experienced here in Thailand that is different and truly wacky thinking?

Who is this "ours" in reference to?

I suppose the whackiest thinking I encounter is from farangs who think all Thais think alike and all farang think alike. I suppose for many of them it's because it's the first time away from home. If people do things different from the way mom and dad did, it must be wrong.

As a few other posters have commented, I too prefer the fan on. I never use the air conditioner even in the hot weather, but there are farang in my building who run it 24/7. I don't think they're whacky. They prefer it cold I guess. Why constantly seek entertainment in putting down people who don't do things to suit you.

Stop looking for fabricated reasons to think Thais are different or whacky or inferior to your notion of yourself as a model everyone needs to emulate.

Dunno. I sleep under a duvet with the fan or Aircon on or sometimes with both on... Why. Because I want to.

sent from my Q6

I like sleeping under a cover / blanket / duvet of some kind, and if I need to turn the fan or aircon on in order to do that then I will.

I've always found the fan's artificial breeze washing over to me to be quite relaxing anyway.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

Housing construction. For instance have you ever walked into the bathroom through the shower to the toilet? Have you ever seen a bathroom without a window or a vent? A bathroom floor without a slope to the drain? No drawers under the bathroom and kitchen sink area? Light switch on the outside of the front door only so that it can't be turned on from the inside to see who is there? A kitchen with an opening to the other rooms, not a door to close? Kitchen cabinets built down to shoulder height above the sink? (Even many Thais can't fit -- I wear a crash helmet) A driveway too narrow for a moderately small car to pass through? Windows that won't lock because the locks are too close to the metal guards. The light over the clothes washing machine that also is above the wooden cover (presumably put there to keep the rain off of the machine). Exterior 220V light switches exposed to rain, perhaps the wire is so tiny, it doesn't make any difference! And that's just the start of the lack of construction thought or regulation.

In the UK? That must have been years ago, or you must be very rich, the cost of electricity has doubled in the last eight years in the UK. Do you know that thousands of OAPs in that much despised country die every year from cold related illnesses because they can't afford to heat their homes, and before any UK ex pat starts, 200GBP per year doesn't come close to helping them.

Prove your figures please,or wind your neck in and stop with the Brit bashing.

Prove your figures please,or wind your neck in and stop with the Brit bashing.

I assume you must be Scottish like me with a name like RabC. I'm sorry Rab, but it is a fact that thousands of OAPs are dying every year in the UK because they can't afford to heat their homes. I do not have it in writing but have read reports in UK newspapers online that 20.000, 30.000 etc OAPs die every year because they are forced to make a choice of eating or not turning on the heating. Let me make it clear I am not bashing the British people, I am one of them, but I am certainly bashing every British government, particularly Labour, in my adult life time for the treatment of many OAPs. Also, what about MPs "expenses" overseas aid, immigration? I could go on.

I always have the fan on, without air moving around the room it feels stagnant. I can't stand a stagnant room.

Living in Korea in the winter I had the floor heating on set at 30 and the aircon on set at 24. Perfect environment as it was still warm yet there was a cool breeze. (Plus I wasn't paying the bills)

The other thing is toilet paper, back in western land they all use toilet paper, how horrid is that after using a bum gun for a decade and a half?

Funny, many Westerners commonly refer to Asians as dirty. Yet, it's the Westerners who smear feces around on their <deleted> with paper instead of washing it with water

I always have the fan on, without air moving around the room it feels stagnant. I can't stand a stagnant room.

The other thing is toilet paper, back in western land they all use toilet paper, how horrid is that after using a bum gun for a decade and a half?

Funny, many Westerners commonly refer to Asians as dirty. Yet, it's the Westerners who smear feces around on their <deleted> with paper instead of washing it with water

At least they dont go and eat dinner or prepare food with those same fingers.

Whose fingers do they use then ?

Sort of thinking about the OP in this way.

We have a 'way' of thinking in the West, which, despite the regional variances, is sometimes quite polar in their difference to how, in general, Thai people would approach the same problem.

For example ... if you wish to save on the ongoing costs of running an elevator (lift) you might separate the floors along the lines of ... Floors 01 - 10 is the elevator on the right and floors 11 - 20 are accessible by the lift on the left.

post-104736-0-42630500-1357706697_thumb.

So, when I moved into a long stay apartment last year, I was bemused to see the above sign.

post-104736-0-33077300-1357706700_thumb.

and lift control.

Two completely different ways of approaching the same problem ... biggrin.png

BTW ... one of the honorary members here might know this building as he shares the same user name ... whistling.gif

Argh, it must have been the lottery day when they decided this !! Used the same technique they use to find lucky lotto numbers cheesy.gif

Thai Thinking … so different from ours ... rolleyes.gif

What have you experienced here in Thailand that is different and truly wacky thinking?

Who is this "ours" in reference to?

Why constantly seek entertainment in putting down people who don't do things to suit you.

Stop looking for fabricated reasons to think Thais are different or whacky or inferior to your notion of yourself as a model everyone needs to emulate.

A reply to Suradit69 is well in order because he assumed the defensive position for the Thais and assumes that I have attacked them or tried to downgrade them.

If you have read much of my other posts you will see that I celebrate much that is good about Thailand.

This tread is simply to highlight some of the differences that we, as guests and residents of the Kingdom witness as different to ours.

For example of some 'light-hearted' differences ... in most Western homes ... guaranteed that there would be at least one knife to be used that wasn't a dedicated cutting implement ... such as a chef's knife.

Well, where I'm staying ... there are no knives ... not one ... zip, zero, zilch.

I recently bought a toaster ... strange device that ... the cat shit itself the first time the toast popped up. Well, we spread the Jam or the peanut butter with the back of a tea spoon.

When Thais wish to cut their meat ... they use the edge of the spoon ... not efficient ... but it's the Thai way.

In a related and positive thread just opened today is ... thai-advantages-aside-from-the-norm ... you might to contribute further there ... biggrin.png

• Like 2

It is said that when giving and receiving gifts, Thai uses the right hand during touching the right elbow with the left hand. I did not know this after a time I give a book for my Thai friend's mother using 2 hands. She was upset and my friend have to explain much about this.

Split Rent | Rent Calculator

I haven't heard that one before but Christmas was here recently ... well it was around the world actually.

I love spending Christmas with the Thai Family ... so little expectation ... so much joy.

Have taught the kids to unwrap the presents 'in the moment' ... so we can all enjoy watching what each child receives.

But the Adults, just smile and beaver their present away for to open another day ... such is the joy of giving and receiving gifts in Thailand ...

Edited by David48

The 200 GBP is a top up payment to their extra heating bills in the winter. presumably you don't need AC allowance payments in Aus?

and you dont think they wash them afterwards, dont talk rubbish.

and you dont think they wash them afterwards, dont talk rubbish.

I am sure they wash them....just sure they also do not get out the nail brush and disinfectant gel.

• Like 1

Like some others, I like to sleep with a nice quilt - so I need a pretty cold A/C setting for that. Guess it's illogical but it's what I like.

As for differences in thinking I've come across - too many to mention. But not sure how many of them are wacky - a lot of them are perfectly sensible, just different. Having said that, while cultural differences obviously exist and matter (and I'm a HUGE believer that an understanding or at least awareness of said differences is vital), at the end of the day people are people and can generally be worked out.

Typing that out I realize I'm probably poorly equipped to opine - I might have been here too long to judge with complete accuracy what would reasonably be considered odd from a Farang perspective...

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

17-18 C. on the aircon works for me.

The 200 GBP is a top up payment to their extra heating bills in the winter. presumably you don't need AC allowance payments in Aus?

A common misconception it doesn't get cold in winter in Aust. e.g. some parts of SE Queensland go down to freezing point in the night. Summer sometimes good to have A/C. Power prices have gone up due to Aust govt carbon tax & a very small allowance provided to Aged Pensioners - doesn't cover the price rises

Thai grandma (wealthy by Thai standards) travels to a foreign country to visit her newborn grandson. Air ticket paid for by foreigner son-in-law. She looks after the baby for a week and throws a tantrum when she finds out that the son-in-law's token of appreciation for her visit is less than the babysitter's salary.

Chinese man's business in Thailand faces a downturn. He continues to pay his loyal workers, tightening his own belt and cutting his Thai wife's allowance. University-educated Thai wife throws a tantrum, demanding divorce, claiming that he loves his workers more than he loves her.

Thai factory worker marries son of her employer - a Chinese family. She is appalled that she still needs to clock in and clock out at work. She is dissatisfied that her family is not given an on-demand tap to her husband's family's wealth. She describes them as jai rai.

• Like 1

I'll see you xxxx time. That means a Thai will commence thinking about leaving their house at xxxx time.

They may leave the house way before xxxx time, but they may get distracted on the way and follow a friend to go somewhere else, telling you way after xxxx.

• Like 2

You weren't.

The melting glaciers are paying for you.

Thank God for the melting glaciers then. We need that extra fresh water...only doing my bit.