Thai Advantages Aside From The Norm

MrRealDeal

I am starting this thread as a way to change the direction of .... negetive aspects of Thainess to the positive ..... which seems to be a little overdone for the moment

Paying no property tax on your home, although that is changing to some extent is my top one ...... It's a huge advantage for poor people over the US

Followed by investing a percentage of your income in the market to avoid tax...... a much better deal than a charitable trust in the US is.

So aside from thin women , cheap prices , and the usual stuff what advantages do you like ? Not just for yourself but for people in a similar situation in your country ...... 30 bht insurance would go a long way for some Americans.

This is my best effort to make a positive thread if it fails Blether is my only hope !

• Like 1

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You Know what they say " misery loves company" difficult to attract a crowd with positive threads.

One of the things

I was about to type the freedom to build on your property, when Rsquared beat me to itsmile.png

I Love to tinker and engage in home projects, back home it would require plans signed by an engineer, submitted to the planing board for approval, inspected upon completion, then your property tax is go up, because the improvement changed your property's value.

Topt makes a good point, but I rather have the freedom than the protection

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 1

The ones that come to mind for me, here in LOS we can virtually do anything on our own land (ok the wife's land) without any red tape or council approval etc.

Example, when we built our outdoor kitchen and extended the garage so I could have a "sports bar" with snooker table, we just phoned a local builder, bought all the materials and cut down a few (well more than a few) pine trees that my wife and I planted about 5 years ago, and went ahead and had them built.

To achieve the same back in Oz would have been a nightmare.

I agree with your specific example but supposing you had neighbours (close) who did the same but instead of a sports bar put in a karaoke club or an industrial unit of some sort......

Some sort of half way house in regulations I think would be better.

I think it is great that car licences do not have points and losing them for driving infractions (especially speeding) - but it does not encourage good driving skills.....

I only have one neighbour who is quite often with me in my sports bar (it is just a pet name for my entertainment man cave or whatever you want to call it, I am out in the sticks ) the next nearest neighbour to us is 500m away.

• Like 1

Rsquared....your above post.

Isnt it great?????... me too!!!!

And seeing what weegee did to his property, I agree with you folks. But, it only takes ONE idiot to screw things up, so you always have to be careful of what you wish for. As I've said several times, the very things that sometimes annoy me about Thailand are the very things that I like about the country.

For example, A foreigner can't really own Thai property in their own name, and have to have a Thai partner to do so. This leaves the foreign investor at risk if there should be a problem. However, contrast that with Canada, which some people say is a utopia. In Canada we allowed foreign owners to buy, or lease huge tracts of land. After the logging companies finished turning the previously publlic forested land into an ocean of stumps and debris, the companies were given free title to the land. The companies then sold off the previously publlic forested land to real estate companies to make a profit at the public's expense. The public had no say in the matter and it was all done behind closed doors. By my estimate that was outright theft.

• Like 1

Rsquared....your above post.

Isnt it great?????... me too!!!!

Yes Weegee, it is great isn't......you just gotta love it.

My Sports Bar is beside the Pool....which doesnt have to have a bloody fence around it to make it inconvenient, to go for a swim.thumbsup.gif

Nice area to celebrate Australia Day, coming up.....so who's coming?

The ones that come to mind for me, here in LOS we can virtually do anything on our own land (ok the wife's land) without any red tape or council approval etc.

Example, when we built our outdoor kitchen and extended the garage so I could have a "sports bar" with snooker table, we just phoned a local builder, bought all the materials and cut down a few (well more than a few) pine trees that my wife and I planted about 5 years ago, and went ahead and had them built.

I agree with your specific example but supposing you had neighbours (close) who did the same but instead of a sports bar put in a karaoke club or an industrial unit of some sort......

Ditto, you'd probably feel a little different if your upwind neighbor installed a chicken barn, a hog farm or a paper recycling plant, any of which could drive you out of your mind with the stench, for miles downwind. Or started quarrying gravel and your place had a coating of gravel dust every day of the year. There's reasons for those zoning laws... good reasons.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

Grooooh, just woke up and it's snowing outside. My head is thumping as a few pals turned up yesterday and showered me with bottles of whisky. Obviously we had to drink some of them.

One advantage of Thailand is that you don't have to wear buy heavy winter clothes, therefore saving you a small fortune and increasing the amount of viable hanging space in your wardrobe.

That's my best effort just now, give me a couple of hours till I get rid of that pulsing sensation in my head and I'll try again.

Gawd, why do we do these things to ourselves.

• Like 1

Grooooh, just woke up and it's snowing outside. My head is thumping as a few pals turned up yesterday and showered me with bottles of whisky. Obviously we had to drink some of them.

One advantage of Thailand is that you don't have to wear buy heavy winter clothes, therefore saving you a small fortune and increasing the amount of viable hanging space in your wardrobe.

That's my best effort just now, give me a couple of hours till I get rid of that pulsing sensation in my head and I'll try again.

You haven't been in Chiang Mai for a while have you. Mae Hong Son is even colder. laugh.png

And, we don't have central heating when it gets cold.

• Like 1

You haven't been in Chiang Mai for a while have you. Mae Hong Son is even colder. laugh.png

And, we don't have central heating when it gets cold.

I'm in Khon Kaen and just off to have my shower now. If I leave it much later, it's too cold to shower.

Have to wear at least 3 layers of clothing early morning and evening now. Central heating would be nice :)

built a home theater room and and extensions on my home and as one person said , just rang the builder and it was all done with great care. In Australia you couldn't do this . it would have taken triple the time and alot of headaches. not to mention the price.

My favourite practical advantages of being here are being able to build practically anything you want on your property without planning permission and best of all knowing someone who knows someone who can fix almost anything cheaply and quickly.

so what happens when a neighbor just calls a builder and build something that is imposing on everyones land in the area.

is it good to have the freedom then, nothing can be done except going on tv and complaining.

sure its good to not have the council sniffing around everything, but its a double sided coin.

• Like 1

Ahh, but what of the neighbour who opems a small slaughterhouse upwind or a bordello in close proximity? Wouldn't be a pleasant location then would it?

• Like 1