For The Birds !

samuijimmy

^ Birdsthatfart, worth a look, great pics Gary!

Than you so much.

Crazy name for a birding site I know. When I retired I decided to make birding and travel my hobby, and the name reminds me NOT to take my hobby seriously.

A very relaxing and stress free hobby that is way underrated IMO.

I update my flickr site regularly also: http://www.flickr.com/photos/avianphotos

Great photos on your Flickr account ;

Thank you biggrin.png

^ Birdsthatfart, worth a look, great pics Gary!

Than you so much.

Crazy name for a birding site I know. When I retired I decided to make birding and travel my hobby, and the name reminds me NOT to take my hobby seriously.

A very relaxing and stress free hobby that is way underrated IMO.

I update my flickr site regularly also: http://www.flickr.com/photos/avianphotos

Great photos on your Flickr account ;

Thank you biggrin.png

Hey thanks.

I looked at your profile page. I am 3 days older than you.. He he..

Next time I run threw your area I will shoot you a mail. Maybe we can snap a few pics and chew the fat... As us southerners from Texas would say.

Regards, Gary

• Like 1

I went back to the shopping mall today (see above), same animal/pet show and same owl (several very cute prairie dogs too); here's another photo (sorry about the orientation from my phone). I asked what is it and was told it's a Siberian Eagle Owl. Turns out that hairdressers I've been going to for years in my mooban, owned by the wife's friend (I call the husband Eddie the Eagle because he keeps eagles and owls) has one of these beautiful birds...next time I go for my haircut I'll be able to check it out.

post-19652-0-82967500-1453386177_thumb.j

• Like 2

Thanks for the IDs. I'm in Nakhon Nayok, on the southern edge of Khao Yai NP. Are these birds rare at all?

Not particularly rare but not always easily spotted. I usually see them in my local NP's all of which are mountainous. I use Craig Robsons "Birds of Thailand & SE Asia" for reference. You can buy it online at Asia Books.
  • Like 1

Hanging out to dry!

We had some heavy rain yesterday PM after I spotted this Greater Coucal hanging out(literally) at the top of a tree trying to dry out in the late afternoon sun. These birds are normally ground dwellers but I guess needs mustsmile.png

Is there any possibility this was a Lesser Coucal?

When I have seen them, it is very often when they are sunbathing. The head looks like it is halfway through a moult, perhaps between non-breeding (brownish head) and breeding (blueish black head) plumage.

A photo takes away the concept of size unless a comparable object is also in the shot.

• Like 1