For The Birds !

samuijimmy

Thinking of treating myself to a Canon 7D mk 2 this year since I badly need an upgrade from my 5 yr old 1000D. My Sigma 150-500 is also shot with fungus inside elements- looks like a spiders web!!

Any suggestions for a lens to match that camera for birding. I can't afford a top notch prime one but preferably a Canon.

Ideally something that won't suffer probes I now have with 4 year old Sigma.

Finally best place to buy here I live Phetchabun and need either online or local source.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I have most likely have asked what is the name of this bird, which played a long time in front of my patio. I have forgotten it. Please help.

24760454049_87d7c86fa0_c.jpg

The waiting is long.

24832480730_1c6fbcb51e_c.jpg

So please, tell me the truth, not just random information.
25011275622_5afe0b3d27_c.jpg

False information is not welcomed with love

25129527655_d0de2c2442_c.jpg

Hanging out to dry!

We had some heavy rain yesterday PM after I spotted this Greater Coucal hanging out(literally) at the top of a tree trying to dry out in the late afternoon sun. These birds are normally ground dwellers but I guess needs mustsmile.png

Is there any possibility this was a Lesser Coucal?

When I have seen them, it is very often when they are sunbathing. The head looks like it is halfway through a moult, perhaps between non-breeding (brownish head) and breeding (blueish black head) plumage.

A photo takes away the concept of size unless a comparable object is also in the shot.

Pretty sure that's a Greater Coucal. All the Lesser I have ever seen were in reeds or long grass in marshy areas. Buff streaks even easier to peg than most illustrations show.

Is there anyone doing any birding in the Pattaya area?.... would love to get out and see more.

I am in Bangsaen. I do most of my birding locally but occasionally get out to Bang Phra Reservoir (non-hunting area) and sometimes Khao Kieo. I could meet you out that way some day. Probably about 40 minute drive for you. You can take the 7 or Suk.

Thanks Ajarn!

It seems out that my lovebirds were actually checking the spot, where to build their nest. They started the building today and I guess this will last for some time.

I got my own private bird show, just 2.5 meters from where I normally am.

24531285004_cf513750f5_c.jpg

Material delivery!

25068720311_00da969467_c.jpg

Is there anyone doing any birding in the Pattaya area?.... would love to get out and see more.

I am in Bangsaen. I do most of my birding locally but occasionally get out to Bang Phra Reservoir (non-hunting area) and sometimes Khao Kieo. I could meet you out that way some day. Probably about 40 minute drive for you. You can take the 7 or Suk.

Super thanks!

Almost a bird.

Small brown bird bigger than a sparrow just built and laid her first egg in our red palm.

Bird ID from the egg photo would be welcome, as the bird is too fast for me, and I don’t want to get too close.

Panasonic LF1

attachicon.gifP1070175.jpg

This is a Streak-eared Bulbul nest in n my garden right now. Colors look a bit different than your egg, but that may just be the lighting as i took this photo late in the day. SE Bulbul are brown and pretty nondescript but easy to ID with a good look.

Thanks

managed to get a little peek at her from a distance.

post-9958-0-57863100-1456381561_thumb.jp

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

^That's a shame there's no general bird forum. Should we open one?

I was just wondering what birds people got in their gardens, where are they (town/province), do they feed themand with what? That kind of thing. Doesn't seem quite right to post on this photography forum though.

• Like 2

^That's a shame there's no general bird forum. Should we open one?

I was just wondering what birds people got in their gardens, where are they (town/province), do they feed themand with what? That kind of thing. Doesn't seem quite right to post on this photography forum though.

I can see where you are coming from. I would be happy to answer your questions too since I keep a log of what visits my patch. As for feeding, no I don't but the trees and shrubs are very bird food friendly.

BUT I do provide water which draws the birds in the dry season and as a bonus provides some photo ops.

Is this the place for such discussions?

Not sure it is but would be interested what other regulars think.

Edited by thetefldon

Nice work - all black birds are hard to get right. The catch in the eye is good. Black and white and all white birds can be even worse - especially with canon equipment. Canon does not handle white well. I have to dial down at least one stop to get definition with white feathers. This creates additional problems with birds in flight and where thy are silhouetted by bright sky. Then I have to dial up by up to two stops which slows the shutter speed which in turn I compensate with by using a higher ISO. All part of the juggling act.

• Like 1