For The Birds !

samuijimmy

As jack said a Nicobar P. These are a pretty rare animal in Thailand and I have never seen one. Only seen on the SW islands that run along the peninsular. They are also found mainly on islands throughout the Malaysian and Indonesian archipelagand so not confined to Thailand.

Am I good looking?

attachicon.gifDSC_0514.JPG

Really nice!
Looks like painted,
maybe jack or mousehound have a name for that one?

Very nice shot TP1.

It's a Nicobar Pigeon which can be found in the Ko Similan islands. I haven't seen one myself.

• Like 1

Can anyone ID this small hawk that i disturbed this morning. In flight looked like a Merlin. Sat in a tree about 200m away so the photo is heavily cropped.

Going by my Robson guide I am going to say female Merlin.

Your thoughts please.

I don't think this is a merlin. The long naked tarsi and short primaries look more like Besra. The three wide tail bars may be diagnostic as well.

• Like 1

Can anyone ID this small hawk that i disturbed this morning. In flight looked like a Merlin. Sat in a tree about 200m away so the photo is heavily cropped.

Your thoughts please.

I don't think this is a merlin. The long naked tarsi and short primaries look more like Besra. The three wide tail bars may be diagnostic as well.

Yes, certainly possible. Also possibly a juvenile Chinese Sparrow Hawk? BTW the reason I said Merlin was because of the way it flew(silloutte)

Here's another poor quality pic showing the chest markings a little more.

Many thanks for your help

post-59731-0-27065900-1440683838_thumb.j

• Like 2

Your thoughts please.

Yes, certainly possible. Also possibly a juvenile Chinese Sparrow Hawk? BTW the reason I said Merlin was because of the way it flew(silloutte)

Here's another poor quality pic showing the chest markings a little more.

Many thanks for your help

The throat markings are faint so you may well be correct on Japanese Sparrow Hawk. The tail still looks a bit long and the tertial banding heavy but juvs are hard for me to really be sure of. I guess jiz and habitat may be the key.

A few more pics of my mystery hawk! Shot through kitchen window bird about 200 m away.

Chinese Sparrowhawk-juvenile or female Shikra maybe??

Mesial throat streak seems pretty clear in the last shot, so I would guess Juv. Shikra or possibly Juv. Besra over Sparrowhawk. But Accipiters are hard enough when adults. When Juvs, even harder.

• Like 1

A few more pics of my mystery hawk! Shot through kitchen window bird about 200 m away.

Chinese Sparrowhawk-juvenile or female Shikra maybe??

Mesial throat streak seems pretty clear in the last shot, so I would guess Juv. Shikra or possibly Juv. Besra over Sparrowhawk. But Accipiters are hard enough when adults. When Juvs, even harder.

It looks like it is on roadside power wires. It would be unusual for a besra to be out of a forest environment but run of the mill for a shikra.

• Like 2

I hadn't thought too much about habitat. The bird is on power lines on isolated rural location surrounded by rice paddy with small copse nearby. I have photographed a male Shikra and Black Shouldered Kite in same locale. I have a kestrel roost at my house September to March. Great spot for birds of prey. 11 km north of Phetchabun.

Thanks for help.

I hadn't thought too much about habitat. The bird is on power lines on isolated rural location surrounded by rice paddy with small copse nearby. I have photographed a male Shikra and Black Shouldered Kite in same locale. I have a kestrel roost at my house September to March. Great spot for birds of prey. 11 km north of Phetchabun.

Thanks for help.

Sounds great, can't be too far from Nam Nao and the other NP in Phetchabun, Tat something.

The three birds of prey you have mentioned are all commonly seen over agricultural land and villages, whilst the besra is generally not. Shikra and Kestrel tend to prefer if there is some wooded area nearby, Black Shouldered Kite is less fussy in my experience.

• Like 1