Moving To Khon Kaen Need Some Advice

goforit

In the next few months my Thai wife and I will be moving to Khon Kaen. We will be looking to rent a house, preferably unfurnished and in a secure location. A fast and reliable internet connection is also something I will need. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

goforit, you don't give any information about relative location (umphur), size of place you need, budget, location relative to transportation and shopping, community amenities, etc. As a result it's difficult for folks to help.

If you are you talking KK town I can suggest a few basics.

My wife and I moved to KK a few months back. Because we are building, we wanted a place very near the build site in Umphur Muang. We had to move on relatively short notice as we sold our place in Korat. As a result had to take an overpriced 2 BR, 1 BA house.

My wife is from the area and she found the rental by riding around on her motorbike talking to homeowners. If you know the area where you want to live, I would suggest having your wife do the same. If you don't yet know where you want to live, you have a lot of scouting to do .. and, IMO, the members here will not to be able to help as much.

Consider a temp apartment or resort with wifi while you are looking. If you wife is local, all the better.

Once moved, 3BB is probably your best option for internet for the city They have lots of options.

Edited by klikster

You may want to make a scouting trip there. Drive around and make note/visit the numerous housing estates you see advertised on billboards. There's also a decent looking development on the left as you head south from Central shopping center. Quite a few developments, and in my experience, many are for rent as they were purchased on speculation.

Sent from my PC36100 using Thaivisa Connect App

Not KK specific advice, but my general advice from my experience with initially moving to Phetchabun (granted, a whole lot smaller than KK).

Unless your wife knows the city well, I would suggest you rent an apartment room there for at least a few weeks. Take this time to explore and find out what you want to be near or far from. Drive around whenever you can and look for "for rent" signs (they'll be in Thai) in any likely neighbourhoods where you'd consider living. Often you can ask about in small local shops in and around moo-bans and whatnot, sometimes the owners will know where there is an available home. When you go to check out a house, try to politely ask some of the neighbours about the internet they have.

At least where I am, we had to spend a LOT of days driving around to find anything decent available. I'm sure it'll be faster for you in a bigger city, but its all legwork, just driving and looking. On the plus side, you'll get to know the place while you do this, and get a better idea of where you want to stay.

Thanks for the replies. I am open to anywhere in KK that has reliable internet and and is in a secure area. I am looking for a newer unfurnished house 2 or 3 bedrooms with at least two bath rooms around 12k or less per month. If anyone knows of anywhere that might meet this criteria please let me know. Thank you.

Different people have different values so it is near impossible to offer a "good" suggestion without knowing what you seek beyond internet & security.

A friend has recently bought a two bedroom house (two years old) in a gated estate in the South West sector of KK, pais 2.1 Million I think?? ( Might be around here? )

Clean estate with active security, he gets 15MB downstream and about 10MB upstream, such bandwidth is required for his work.

Remember the biggest issue (?) for most expats is disputs with neigbors, internet speeds are increasing futher from city centers now and money buys you space.

Thanks for the replies. I am open to anywhere in KK that has reliable internet and and is in a secure area. I am looking for a newer unfurnished house 2 or 3 bedrooms with at least two bath rooms around 12k or less per month. If anyone knows of anywhere that might meet this criteria please let me know. Thank you.

Please page me, if you need a good guard. Internet comes for free. Salary's discussion able--. coffee1.gif

I know this sounds bad but the best advice is reconsider and find a place within 3 hrs drive of Bkk maximum. I have lived in several places up country a long ways from Bkk and always better not to far from Bkk

To be fair Rotary, it does depend on the individual.

Some people can't bear being away from the city, others hate being there. Some love country life, some need city life.

In the majority of the large country towns/cities, if you can't find what you want in a shop, there is usually at least one that will try get it in for you.

You sound like you're still getting use to being in country areas. It can take time. Some never get use to it. Others fall into it and wonder why it took so long to find.

Horses for courses.

• 11 months later...

I know this sounds bad but the best advice is reconsider and find a place within 3 hrs drive of Bkk maximum. I have lived in several places up country a long ways from Bkk and always better not to far from Bkk

Why is it better to be within 3 hrs drive from Bkk?

• Like 1

because he likes Bangkok and thinks everybody else should as well so do as says

• Like 1

because he likes Bangkok and thinks everybody else should as well so do as says

I like to visit BKK for a day, maybe two, but thats it's, I'm done after that. 45 min flight from KKC is perfect, especially now Air Asia has returned. Anyhoo, back to the topic at hand. I live between KK and Chaiyaphum so can't advise on specifics, but I do see a lot of new condo and house construction going on in these new gated communities. Not my taste, very close together no land for a yard etc. On the apartment side, a friend of ours is currently renting a service apartment while she attends university, and thats costing her 22K/month, so not sure what your 12K will get you. To echo many previous posts, rent before you buy, and remember if it's a house 'you' will never own the land, rules for condo's are different however.

One more point, Internet. The word 'reliable' is a tricky one here in Thailand. Don't ever expect it to be rock solid, they all, TOT, 3BB, True have inexplicable outages, even if you look connected, which can and sometimes do last for days.

Edited by GinBoy2

22.000 a month for a serviced apartment in Khon Kaen mate? a bit steep isn't it.... i would like to know where that is?

I thought so too...but not my money LOL

I own condo's in BKK which rent at 35K, granted they're not serviced apartments, but when she told me the price, I was kinda intrigued. Maybe you have spurred me to investigate more

22.000 a month for a serviced apartment in Khon Kaen mate? a bit steep isn't it.... i would like to know where that is?

Lakeside Condo near Bueng Kaen Nakhon, Khon Kaen has 1 and 2 bedroomed serviced apartments, monthly rate for 1 bedroom apartments is 28,000 - 35,000 baht. 2 bedroom apartments are 38,000 baht per month. Most of these apartments are already booked out on long term rentals.