Typing Thai On Microsoft Word

ubonrthai

Install Thai fonts. If you can type the language, you will want to have Thai fonts available, not just copy and paste.

I'm not expert, but if the computer doesn't have any Thai font installed, how can the pasted text be displayed correctly? Isn't it more likely that the font being used when the OP is typing isn't a Thai font? (Though to be honest, I'd have thought that Word would be intelligent enough to notice that the glyphs weren't available in the current font and would substitute an appropriate font which contained the Thai glyphs.)

Don't know if it's the same with Mac, but Windows has the choice of Thai Kedmanee or Thai Pattachote.

I use Thai Kedmanee and that works with my keyboard.

Using Thai Pattachote the characters printed do not correspond to the key pressed.

It may be worth trying the Apple forum here.

I installed a Thai font but it still does bizarre things like if I try to type a dash mark, it screws up my formatting.

If you mean it messes with the line-breaking, that wouldn't surprise me. What does the line-breaking and when can be highly variable. In LibreOffice I resort to adding ZWSP and Word Joiner (U+2060) to tell the Word processor where word boundaries are and aren't when the line-breaker gets it wrong. I don't know whether Mac Word honours these characters.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...