Carlos Santana To Return To Thailand: The Sentient Tour

webfact

The only decent album this bore ever recorded was caravanserai in 1972, the guy is a dinosaur.He's just lucky he did not die out years ago and that there are still people who want to relive their youth by paying to see him. There are Thai guitar players far better, but falangs are usually too lazy to find out about them. He's well teamed up with carabao though-two boring old farts together for the price of one.

I will agree that Caravaserai was a great album and terribly underated upon it's release because so many of Santana's fans were expecting more of the upbeat latin-pop sounds like those of his earlier releases. Caravanserai was a jazz album and a great one at that. The fifth track 'Song of the Wind' is one of my favorite cuts of all time.

I am also aware that there are many extremely talented Thai guitar players around these days, I have heard a few myself but none were are the same class as the young Carlos Santana.

Regretfully, I can relate to your comments on Carabao, however. I actually saw them play in the States at a small venue in Seattle well over a decade ago and they were rather over-the-hill even then. I will agree that they are "old farts" too but Carlos Santana is in extremely good health for his age and from everything I've seen of him on tape anyway, he's still got it working really well. I've got a ticket and am looking forward to the show.

• Like 1

The only decent album this bore ever recorded was caravanserai in 1972, the guy is a dinosaur.He's just lucky he did not die out years ago and that there are still people who want to relive their youth by paying to see him. There are Thai guitar players far better, but falangs are usually too lazy to find out about them. He's well teamed up with carabao though-two boring old farts together for the price of one.

Your just a ray of sunshine arent you biggrin.png

Hmmm, yes your right. If Elvis was still here, some, me, would still queue to see a legend. thumbsup.gif

Im 28 and cant really be an 'expert' on the matter but I like Santanas old stuff as I was brought up on it by father and uncles.

I would also be in the queue to see Elvis or Queen (with F.M) if they were both still around.

• Like 1

Your just a ray of sunshine arent you biggrin.png

Hmmm, yes your right. If Elvis was still here, some, me, would still queue to see a legend. thumbsup.gif

Im 28 and cant really be an 'expert' on the matter but I like Santanas old stuff as I was brought up on it by father and uncles.

I would also be in the queue to see Elvis or Queen (with F.M) if they were both still around.

Fortunately the Internet will keep us all in touch with all music. thumbsup.gif .........smile.png
  • Like 1

I saw the group grow from the filmore in SF. .

Wish I was there.

"Sunday night is the closing night. The choice of most people would be Santana. If we had Suzy Cream Cheese and Phil Spatony's Orgal Orchestra, we would fill. I think once they get there they would like it even that much more if it was Santana."

- Bill Graham, Fillmore: The Last Days, talking about the bill for closing night.

Santana played closing night, performing Incident At Neshabur and In A Silent Way. Incident At Neshabur is from the Abraxas album, but here without Alberto Gianquinto on piano. Greg Rolie is the sole keyboardist. In A Silent Way, one of Joe Zawinul's classics, and also covered by Miles Davis, is a really rockin' live performance:

Live at the Fillmore West, Sunday, 4th of July, 1971:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkxB5cyZfU4

• 2 weeks later...

I've been a Santana fan since the release of the first album in the 60s. I first saw Carlos and band play in the late 70s, then a second time in the early 80s, both times in the SF area.

I also attended the Bangkok show in 2011 and thought it was excellent, almost on par with what I can remember from 30+ years ago. The band was tight, and the song selection covered all eras of his musical development (but then I like Supernatural as much as I like Abraxas; and my least favorite albums are his experiments in jazz fusion, ie, Caravanserai, Welcome, and Love Devotion Surrender), including plenty of old material. His guitar playing is better than ever. In fact he in one of the few 'classic' guitarists over age 60 today who actually seems to have not only kept his chops, but taken them a tad further. I met Carlos before the show and he found him friendly, lucid and down to earth.

• Like 1

I've been a Santana fan since the release of the first album in the 60s. I first saw Carlos and band play in the late 70s, then a second time in the early 80s, both times in the SF area.

I also attended the Bangkok show in 2011 and thought it was excellent, almost on par with what I can remember from 30+ years ago. The band was tight, and the song selection covered all eras of his musical development (but then I like Supernatural as much as I like Abraxas; and my least favorite albums are his experiments in jazz fusion, ie, Caravanserai, Welcome, and Love Devotion Surrender), including plenty of old material. His guitar playing is better than ever. In fact he in one of the few 'classic' guitarists over age 60 today who actually seems to have not only kept his chops, but taken them a tad further. I met Carlos before the show and he found him friendly, lucid and down to earth.

I like your post SJ, as I am a life-long Santana fan as

well. Last time I saw them was at the Paramount Theatre in Seattle very early

80s, and I am looking forward to this show too. I must admit though that I am a

bit perplexed at how your least favorite albums can include Caravanserai. It

may have been awhile; try listening to it again and re-assess. How can anyone

not love this? :

Edited by Groongthep

I like your post SJ, as I am a life-long Santana fan as

well. Last time I saw them was at the Paramount Theatre in Seattle very early

80s, and I am looking forward to this show too. I must admit though that I am a

bit perplexed at how your least favorite albums can include Caravanserai. It

may have been awhile; try listening to it again and re-assess. How can anyone

not love this? :

I just had another listen and I do like the album more than the other two in that group. I remember I actually really liked Caravanserai when it first came out. Then I listened to it for the first time in many years before the 2011 concert, I thought it rambled too much, eg the long intro with phased bass clarinet noodles and bells. . I know a lot of folks consider it a classic. I like it OK as ambient background music. I just prefer Santana's more song-oriented work, the stuff that makes you wanna move. Borboletta is another Santana album I used to really like, but which sounds really dated to me now.

• Like 1

I met Carlos before the show

How did you manage that?

A friend of mine, Mason Ruffner, who wrote one of the tunes ("Angel Love") on the latest Santana album at the time was invited to sit in with Santana that night, and I came along for the ride. We were invited to sound check and later to the green room for pre-show activities...

For those taking public transportation to the Santana concert at IMPACT Arena tomorrow there are dedicated busses leaving from the Mochit BTS and Chatujak MRT Stations (essentially the same place). The trip is 30 baht and is supposed to take 30 minutes from Mochit.

It's a bit confusing if you take the BTS because one would think the busses would be located on the left hand side of the street (Phahon Yothin Rd) looking north since the left lane is the one heading north toward Don Mueang, but in fact it is on the other side (right side or east) inside a fenced area. So as you walk north (away from the direction of Chatujak Market) go down the stairs on the right hand side. Once at street level walk north and watch for the IMPACT shuttle sign to your right on the chain link fence. There will probably be a lot of other people waiting there too.

If you take the MRT it is simple, get off at the Chatujak Station and take exit #3. Upon exiting walk straight ahead just a few meters and keep looking right. You'll see the sign saying IMPACT shuttle entrance.

I don't know what time the concert will be over but there is a good chance the trains will have stopped running by the time you get back to Mochit so be prepared to take a taxi or regular bus just in case.

Edited by Groongthep

I went to the show last night and it turned out to be much better than I had expected. In fact, it was great. Well worth the price of admission.

Edited by Groongthep
  • Like 1

I met Carlos before the show

How did you manage that?

A friend of mine, Mason Ruffner, who wrote one of the tunes ("Angel Love") on the latest Santana album at the time was invited to sit in with Santana that night, and I came along for the ride. We were invited to sound check and later to the green room for pre-show activities...

Mason Ruffner played in my place years ago, great musicain.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Went with a friend who had never seen Santana before. He loved it. But for me, as good as it was, I have to rate the 2011 one as better, as I recall it. Maybe it was because it was just Santana, can't quite put my finger on it. One thing I can say with near certainty is that the crowd was a better one in 2011. The band also played hits then which they didn't do at this one, perhaps due to time constraints. Had a great time - it's always enjoyable to see Santana.