The Right Context Of Words/phrases

xoxman

Hi all, I have a question about the context of some words I frequently hear like

1. graa phee (in Thai guess like กระพี่) not sure if it is used only with male friends and just with older ones or also younger ones.

2. I've heard that it is more polite to use เรา instead of ผม when referring to one self, but I hear both. So when to use which ?

3. And finally เมื่อ, เวลา and ถ้า. I know the meaning of each single word but not 100% sure when to use which

Thanks

1. Cant say I have heard this expression, no comment.

2. Thai is a layered language with differing degrees of politeness, if I dont know who I am talking to I will start polite and let the direction of the converstion, or the language used by the other person dictate what language to use.

3. เมื่อ to me indicates a point in time, eg เมื่อสองวันก่อน

เวลา, I use to indiacte whenever, eg, my friend says he phoned me and I didnt answer I would say,

เวลาขับรถไม่รับมือถือ, to tell him when I am driving I dont answer the phone.

ถ้า, means if, if it is raining I wont go, ถ้าฝนตกผม(จะ)ไม่ไป

• Like 1

"2. I've heard that it is more polite to use เรา instead of ผม when referring to one self, but I hear both. So when to use which ?"

You should use atama when talking to Japanese people. And don't forget to point to your head when you do it.

Oh, and the one you probably hear most often which sounds like กระพี่ is ครับพี่. It really is a pain getting used to Thais who speak fast. I've found watching Thai DVDs with Thai subtitles quite helpful.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, and the one you probably hear most often which sounds like กระพี่ is ครับพี่. It really is a pain getting used to Thais who speak fast. I've found watching Thai DVDs with Thai subtitles quite helpful.

Do you mind sharing a list of them? They are hard to find...

Here are the ones I have lying around:

ลัดดาแลนด์

รัก 7 ปี ดี 7 หน

Suck Seed

มึง กู

ATM เออรักเออเร่อ

เเก๊งค์ตบผี

ปล้น 2

มะหมา 2

หอแต๋วแตกแหวกชิมิ

เการักที่เกาหลี

รักแห่งสยาม

999-9999

รัก An Ordinary Love Story - Horrible movie, but had both English and Thai subtitles