Emissions Tests

Ulysses G.

What's up with the emissions tests for songteaws and cars in Chiang Mai? :D

They are stopping vehicles and doing tests on main streets today.

Simple reason really. All vehicles over five years old have to pass an emission test before they can be re registered, and some less than honest testing garages are pocketing the 150 baht and issuing bogus certificates. This has come to the notice of the police, and they have ordered random checks to establish where the vehicles were originally tested. Just a different coffee break :o

Just ad about 78 ml acceton 100% in 10 liter diesel

and everything will be ok.

burns better cleaner air

WARNING!

becarefull it solve cheap plastic and rubber!

look out for the body paint of your car!

for gasoline just ad about 150 ml on 10 liter

The tip for the day from your friendly rocket scientist :o

I presume you were refering to Acetone? An extremely dangerous practice, you are far better off using a Xylene and Toluene mixture as an addetive as they leave less residue in the engine.

Edited by Maejo Man

acetone burns very clean no residue in engine

Its not a rocket fuel......

we use it very save in the laboratory every day

Safe? Hardly. We also use it often at our laboratory to clean ultra high vacuum systems and safety procedures are required when using it.

"DANGER! EXTREMELY FLAMMABLE LIQUID AND VAPOR. VAPOR MAY CAUSE FLASH FIRE. HARMFUL IF SWALLOWED OR INHALED. CAUSES IRRITATION TO SKIN, EYES AND RESPIRATORY TRACT. AFFECTS CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM. "

"May be harmful by inhalation, ingestion or skin absorption. Irritant. Liquid may cause permanent eye damage (corneal clouding). Contact with skin may cause defatting, leading to irritation. Long-term exposure may cause liver damage"

http://hazard.com/msds/mf/cards/file/0087.html

I got caught twice. Once with a Nissan truck that was 4 months old. THe emission was more than allowed!. (*still shocked*).

Not playing with chemicals(acetone) though but thanks for the advice.

About time too IMO - The crapthat comes out of most Songtaews is outrageous, trouble is they'll get a minimal fine and be allowed to carry on.

Groo how the hel_l did a nearly new car fail????

Thats something I should have asked the cops that day. Except I didn;t know how to say in Thai "what the ^%% are you talking about you &%^&head?, thats not my test ^%&ing filter". They must have mixed that test filter up with many other trucks. But I am not sure :o

But the songteaw people with crappy emissions ought to be jailed. These things are just taken lightly. Open burning etc.

I got caught twice. Once with a Nissan truck that was 4 months old. THe emission was more than allowed!. (*still shocked*).

What's the penalty? Pull off the road and walk home, or fine & drive?

What's the penalty? Pull off the road and walk home, or fine & drive?

They take your driving license, give you a book in thai language about emissions and pollution, they issue you a summont and you drive wherever you were heading to. Pay the fine at the police station and get your license back. i think the fine was 500Baht.

They always have these checks out at the Superhighway coming in from Bangkok> just below the flyover going to Airport across the CM - Lamphun HIGHWAY. Not CM-Lamphun road. Near the entrance of Wat Don Chan, Caltex. Isuzu showroom.

They always have these checks out at the Superhighway coming in from Bangkok

Not always.. I've never seen them there. And I'm on that section of road a lot... :D

Maybe I'm going by too fast to catch their attention. :o

Edited by Ajarn

Not always.. I've never seen them there. And I'm on that section of road a lot... :o

I got caught there twice. My brother in law got caught there about 3 times now and our workers, say about 5 times all together just them. And its been only there below that particular overhead bridge. You must have different timings. MOstly between 9.30 & 10.00 in the morning.

Not always.. I've never seen them there. And I'm on that section of road a lot... :o

I got caught there twice. My brother in law got caught there about 3 times now and our workers, say about 5 times all together just them. And its been only there below that particular overhead bridge. You must have different timings. MOstly between 9.30 & 10.00 in the morning.

You're right. I'm usually around there in the afternoon... My, they sound busy! :D

I'm highly gratified to hear of these roadside tests.

I was pushing a Thai newspaper editor friend of mine to start a campaign and there already was one.

I had been under the impression that the black smoke syndrome on power was related tothe age of the engine. Did a bit of research. It's not. It turns out most of it is avoidable at low cost....dirty air filters, basically poor tuning...so AVOIDABLE.

I would love the "MOT" tests on emissions to be tightened. Gotta start somewhere.

My first slap on the back to Chiangmai's finest!

It would be the 'lower' back would be where I would slap :o

Do you really think that fining folks 500 baht is going to change anything?

With zero followup, everything stays the way it is, and the cops get some more money.

TiT :D

It would be the 'lower' back would be where I would slap :o

Do you really think that fining folks 500 baht is going to change anything?

With zero followup, everything stays the way it is, and the cops get some more money.

TiT :D

Can't agree with you more Ajarn.

Air pollution brings out the exhaust police

Preeyanoot Jittawong

n3-176.jpg

Officers checking black smoke from vehicles.

Chiang Mai Municipality has requested policemen and environment academics to set up checkpoints on every main road in the city to check black exhaust smoke from diesel vehicles. The first route to be checked is on the Chiang Mai-Mae Rim Road, in front of the National Bank. These measures were decided after air quality in city was measured and found to be as much as 90 percent unburnt carbon particles. Further campaigns are in the pipeline to attempt to reduce Chiang Mai’s rapidly worsening pollution.

On March 6, Boonlert Buranupakorn, Chiang Mai Mayor, said that the main problem causing pollution in Chiang Mai city is the large amount of dust that occurs especially on waysides of dense traffic routes. This dust is constantly stirred in the draught caused by passing traffic and mixes with the unburnt carbon emitted from the exhausts of poorly maintained diesel engines.

If any vehicle is detected emitting excessive black smoke, measured at more than 75 percent, that vehicle will be considered to be below the minimum standard and the driver will be fined 1,000 baht and the vehicle put off the road. Vehicle owners will be forced bring the engine up to standard and have it checked again before it will be allowed back on the road.

It is hoped that these measures if rigorously enforced, will encourage vehicle owners to spend more time keeping their engines properly maintained and reduce the life threatening pollution in Chiang Mai Province. Drivers who do so will find their efforts well rewarded when they discover that the price of keeping a well maintained efficient engine will be amply offset by reduced fuel costs.

Now, that would have been a good idea, except that it didn't happen the way it as planned in the news release.... :o

If any vehicle is detected emitting excessive black smoke, measured at more than 75 percent, that vehicle will be considered to be below the minimum standard and the driver will be fined 1,000 baht and the vehicle put off the road. Vehicle owners will be forced bring the engine up to standard and have it checked again before it will be allowed back on the road.

Now, that would have been a good idea, except that it didn't happen the way it as planned in the news release.... :o

Black smoke??? ###### it, I got fined for a truck that was emitting nothing close to BLACK SMOKE!

Air pollution brings out the exhaust police

75% of what? Where's Gaz when you need him?