Panic Attacks

RedHotChilli

Hello

I'm hoping someone from the forum could help me.

In the last week, I've suffered from three panic attacks.

People at my work are asking me what's wrong with me, but I don't know how to explain it to them.

Does anyone know the Thai word for this?

Thanks

RedHotChill

I sympathise. I have suffered panic attacks and agoraphobia at periods of my life.

I usually tell friends I "rusuk gleua" (feel fear) sometimes.

Might I add I've found it IS best to tell your aquaintances if you are feeling bad....there is a great strain involved in hiding things. It can be a relief just to be open. I have found people are invariably kind.

I have considerable experience of this sort of thing, and have even written about it....if you wish you are welcome to message me.

Edited by sleepyjohn

• 1 year later...
Could anyone shed some light into this idiom - กระต่ายตื่นตูม gradtaai dteun dtuum. Would it be the same as panic attack, or maybe more like an anxiety attack?

กระต่ายตื่นตูม - อาการที่ตื่นตกใจง่าย โดยไม่สำรวจให้ถ่องแท้ก่อน. adj. become easily frightened without rational cause.

My Oxford River books English - Thai says

panic attack อาการเครียดและวิตกกังวลฉับพลัน she suffers from panic attacks เธอมักจะเกิดอาการเครียดและวิตกกังวลฉับพลัน

ขี้ ตกใจ - a scaredy cat - easily frightened.

Doesnt carry the same force as a medical panic attack though;

edit/ dont believe this was the meaning you were after, unless the Thais were playing practical jokes on you like hiding then saying "boo" and you become frightened.

Edited by Grover

HotChilli,

I would like to recommend an excellent book to you which will help you to overcome your panic attacks. The title is "Master Your Panic and Take Back Your Life!". The author is Denise Beckfield, PhD. This book is based on cognitive behavioral methods which really work and is full of good information and advice. It is available from www.amazon.com or www.impactpublishers.com.Good luck!

the suggestion by meadish would be the closest to what you want to explain. although it still doesnt convey the emphasis on the medical symptoms of it (most people would think of the mental effects of stress, rather than the physical effect)

but as said...the terms provided by meadish is the closest.

other suggestions would not convey the message you want to at all.

the suggestion by alku has too much of a negative connotation to thai people. I wouldnt recommend using it, unless you want people to start thinking you are paranoid.

good luck :o

I am not sure about your panic attack but my previous GF suffered from it as well.

Tried to help her and find out what it could be that triggered that feeling and what exactly that feeling was.

Well she described it as suddenly having heavy heartbeats, cold sweat and a feeling that she could die any moment (something like that).

It could be anything that triggered it, a hard sound, people talking loud, shopping in a mall or even watching a movie or doing the dishes.

Was put on heavy medication and visited shrinks had groupsessions to talk with others, nothing worked and it only got worse.

It was driving me crazy as well as we could not go anywhere without her having (what she called) a panic attack.

This lasted for more then 4 years!

To make a long story short in the end I found out she was just hyperventilating for a reason, a surpressed experience in her memory that came up after really having though interigation style talks with her.

An experience she had years before that caused her to have an NDE at that time and was later triggered by whatever because she kept hiding it and did not talk about it for fear that feeling would come back.

This caused all the physical effects.

Yes a very complicated story, if you wanna know just send a PM.

So my apologies for not answering your question how it is called in Thai but it is something that I witnessed and I would like to try and help to find out the root cause of that fear by sharing my experience with you.

The sooner you find out your root cause the better.

Take care!

Oh, and sorry for all the bad spelling and grammar mistakes, I am not a native speaker of English but I think you know what I mean.

Alex

:o

Hello

I'm hoping someone from the forum could help me.

In the last week, I've suffered from three panic attacks.

People at my work are asking me what's wrong with me, but I don't know how to explain it to them.

Does anyone know the Thai word for this?

Thanks

RedHotChill

อาการตื่นตระหนก = aa gaan dteuun dtra nok = frightened

"rusuk gleua" (feel fear)

"Dock Jai mort loei" ~ shocked .

กระต่ายตื่นตูม is used in the sense: "excited or frightened for nothing", for which it is later found unwarranted. like the rabbit hearing sound noise would jump when no one realy is going to cause any harm to it.

meadish_sweetball's panic attack = อาการเครียดและวิตกกังวลฉับพลัน This is official and long. Not sure you will remember the long string of words in a panic!! :-J

I never experienced panic attack, so don't really know how it feels, except to use my imagination. I believe most Thai don't know this symptom either.

I'd like to propose a short Thai word for your consideration. It is "ขวัญกระเจิง" Kwan Kra Jerng. "ขวัญกระเจิง" is used when someone is shocked suddenly, more of a scare type shock. example: you are the last person walking out of your office at night and turned off the light. all in a sudden there is a loud noise right behind you. you might be shocked or scared or feel ขวัญกระเจิง.

In the Thai culture, people would then try to sooth you that it is ok now, the cause is now gone, etc. there won't be any medical implication.

Does this apply to you? If you need medical help, or more than psychological support please reply.