Thai Mum Sells Child Bride For B2,000

george

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shameful, absolutely shameful. Sterilise the parents and give them 20 years each. Or sell them to a nice caring hi-so Thai chinese family for 10 years hard domestic labour.

~~~it still violated the law which protects children below the age of 15~~~

So children over 15 can be sold by their parents to rapists with impunity? Bravo to the other villagers for raising the alarm and not sweeping it under the carpet.

Yes. Google "Phuket Bride at 16". Married to a 28 year old whom she had never met for one baht-weight of gold and 30,000B, and they didn't even speak the same language.

She looks thrilled about it.

Capture-8.jpg

And FYI people, this kind of shit happens in a lot of places around the world.

http://en.wikipedia..../Child_marriage

Sad and even sadder that the marriage will probably last a long time because of the girls upbringing and religious expectations. I tried briefly to find out her birth date but didn't see it. I imagine they did the ceremony and arrangements while she was 16 but doubt they registered the marriage legally until she was 17. Makes you realize how young 17 is to be getting married but not much different than 16 or 18. Not sure what the right age should be legally but it is good to see the average age continuing to rise in Thailand as education becomes better and poverty is less prevalent.

Edit: He nor the family looking too thrilled either

15 is the legal age for marriage in Thailand with parental consent.

http://www.dopa.go.t...servi/marry.htm

Many states in the US allow marriage as young as 13 with parental and sometimes court approval. In some states as young as 15 without parental consent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriageable_age

I think most of the commentors in this post probably live in Thailand and don't keep up with the news reports in the western world. This isn't just happening in as you like to keep saying, "amazing Thailand". This and much worse happens all over the world. Women in India are sexually abused and have far fewer rights than in Thailand. Also Pakistan and many other middle eastern countries, with laws such as a rape is not a rape unless it is witnessed by 3 or more men, otherwise it will be deemed a false allegation and she will be punished, possibly hanged. At least there is a law against these depraved actions in Thailand even if they are not always obeyed. I'm far from condoning what happens in Thailand, but statements suggesting...'only in Thailand' or 'Thais must be from another world' or 'police and government officials in civilised societies don't use prostitutes' I think the people in here posting this crap are the ones who live in another world of make believe.

I am glad you bring up so the best countries I am glad you and daughter are happy in Pakistan

Harry, can you elaborate or explain this garbage post? Were you just getting in at 0605 or just getting up?

Edited by GentlemanJim

I read somewhere that a Brit married a 13 year old Thai girl in 1984 . The marriage was considered legal .

If they are still happy married would be interesting to know.....

Thought these kind of stories were an urban myth. Guess not.... :-( As well I think this story will have a

detrimental effect on the value of sin sod for bar girls. " But honey I just saw a sin sod of 2000 baht on Thai Visa. Why does your

family want one million baht? " I think Thai at Heart is correct, these people must be from another planet.

Who in the hell would sell their daughter?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

This happen more often than reported. The lucky girls are 'rented' as slaves for 500 Baht a month - to sleep with the dogs and eat leftover food. Meanwhile older daugthers are ordered to go to the resorts and send money home - setting the monthly income at 10,000 or 20,000 baht - no need to guess what their occupation must be.

Too many foreigners call the women here 'Prostitutes', when, unlike prostitutes in other countries, they first establish a friendly relationship and will not go with just anyone for the money. Seond they are working for their families, either Mom back home, or their lazy husband... Thai culture puts women in a supportive role and ths is evident in every aspect of Thai life - may a woman have a Pua Noi and not be chastized by everone..??

A number of connected observations after living here for 25 years...

Rape is a criminal act no matter how old the victim may be, but raping a child is a particularly heinous act.

Can a 13 year old girl have the mental/emotional capacity to enter into a consensual sexual relationship? Regardless of what the law may be in any particular jurisdiction, I don't think it's possible to answer this question with a blanket yes or no.

Is paying sin sod equivalent to buying a bride like an item of merchandise? It certainly isn't from a traditional Thai perspective. It's rather a sign of appreciation for the parents' raising their daughter to be a desirable marriage partner and indicative of how much the man values his future wife.

Here's a true story. In 1993, a friend of mine came to Thailand. He was in his late 40's and had sold a construction business that he had run in Toronto for 20 years. He wasn't rich, but he had savings and would receive payouts from the sale for 10 years. After he had been here about a year, he met a girl. She had just come to Bangkok and started working in one of the beer bars that used to be next to the railroad tracks that cross Sukhumvit. After 3-4 months, he decided to take her out of the bar. They went to live in Khon Kaen, and after about 6 months they got married in her village in Sakon Nakhon. I attended the wedding and recall that the sin sod was 20,000 baht. I visited them fairly often as I was working in Issan at the time. They seemed to be quite happy together. The girl was attractive and very pleasant, but she did seem rather immature when I talked with her (I was fluent in both spoken and written Thai and about 80% conversant in Lao.) After she got pregnant, my friend asked me if I would help take her to a bank to open an account, because she said that she didn't know how to do that by herself. So I asked for her ID card and a copy of her house registration. Well, that's when the truth came out. She didn't have an ID card - when she went to Bangkok to work she had used an older sister's card. She was 14! When he first met her in the beer bar, she had just turned 13. My friend was shocked, but what was there to do? They loved each other, they were happy together, they had been together for more than a year, and the first baby was on the way. So I told him to just keep a low profile and live their lives. They're still together, have 4 children, and no one ever found out how they started out. (The only problem was registering the birth of their first 2 children -- she used her sister's ID card again!)

Life is not always straightforward. They older I get, the more right and wrong seem to be contextual.

• Like 2

Interesting story, but there is a stark difference between a girl who actively works in that industry and lied about her age and a girl forced into having sex with a stranger in her own bedroom against her will.

I agree with you 100%. As I wrote, "Rape is a criminal act no matter how old the victim may be, but raping a child is a particularly heinous act."

As a thai I find this very sad and embarassing but totally believable.

Where has all the buddhist ethics and teachings gone in today's society?

Parents need to be thrown in jail as an example.

Rapist needs to be castrated as an example.

Need I say more?

• Like 1

After reading the first two pages and the last one, I feel sick. What concerns me even more is I feel this is not just a one off. Didn't the tourism minister recently say that if a girl accepts a dinner with a man that this means he can have sex with her and it is not rape in regard to Bad Man In Krabi?

I feel like I want to vomit and meet this creep in a dark ally.

• Like 1

Ah, okay Nisa, dressedingreen and all the others "it happens everywhere, so don't bother": fine!

We just sit back and relax, don't bother, don't feel sick and disgusted...mai pen rai!

And the next time some red or yellow- mob settles in the city or at the airport, we just let it be. It's a Thai- thing, so don't bother!

And if someone kills someone for 500 baht- they always have done it like that, so...<deleted>?

Just chill out, have a beer and put on the rose tinted glasses.

Just for your information: I guess, most of us know, these kind of things happen elsewhere...

...and why does that not make me feel one bit better?

Since you ask ... I am not sure what would make you feel better except possibly prescription medication wink.png but more to the point I am not sure anybody was trying to make anyone feel better but rather simply put things in perspective that this incident is not a reflection of Thai Culture or is it acceptable to the overwhelming vast majority of Thai people unlike some posters have suggested. This is simply another sad news story of a sensational and sexual type that generates a lot of hits because people are attracted to these types of stories be it here or just about anywhere else.

...and onece again, your message is shoot the messanger?

Ah, okay Nisa, dressedingreen and all the others "it happens everywhere, so don't bother": fine!

We just sit back and relax, don't bother, don't feel sick and disgusted...mai pen rai!

And the next time some red or yellow- mob settles in the city or at the airport, we just let it be. It's a Thai- thing, so don't bother!

And if someone kills someone for 500 baht- they always have done it like that, so...<deleted>?

Just for your information: I guess, most of us know, these kind of things happen elsewhere...

Since you ask ... I am not sure what would make you feel better except possibly prescription medication wink.png but more to the point I am not sure anybody was trying to make anyone feel better but rather simply put things in perspective that this incident is not a reflection of Thai Culture or is it acceptable to the overwhelming vast majority of Thai people unlike some posters have suggested. This is simply another sad news story of a sensational and sexual type that generates a lot of hits because people are attracted to these types of stories be it here or just about anywhere else.

Who did I shoot by pointing out the obvious in explaining to somebody that this is not a news story of or a representative of Thai Culture or an acceptance but rather just a tragic event involving individuals that can and does happen everywhere and why these types of news story get so much attention (same reason they make the news over more tragic events). No shooting just a reality check. I am not saying this story shouldn't be news in the least bit but can assure you there were many stories not covered this day of more tragic events and ones that actually might be much more indicative of a negative acceptance in Thai Culture such as a child dying on a motorbike or in a care (every day occurrence) while riding with his parents because he didn't have a helmet or car seat. Things that are accepted and very common don't usually make the news unless there is something more grabbing to report within the story ... on the other hand uncommon news especially those say involving sex and underage girls are what ratings weeks are made of.

Who did I shoot by pointing out the obvious in explaining to somebody that this is not a news story of or a representative of Thai Culture or an acceptance but rather just a tragic event involving individuals that can and does happen everywhere and why these types of news story get so much attention (same reason they make the news over more tragic events). No shooting just a reality check. I am not saying this story shouldn't be news in the least bit but can assure you there were many stories not covered this day of more tragic events and ones that actually might be much more indicative of a negative acceptance in Thai Culture such as a child dying on a motorbike or in a care (every day occurrence) while riding with his parents because he didn't have a helmet or car seat. Things that are accepted and very common don't usually make the news unless there is something more grabbing to report within the story ... on the other hand uncommon news especially those say involving sex and underage girls are what ratings weeks are made of.

...I just can't be arsed...it's Friday! burp.gif

As a thai I find this very sad and embarassing but totally believable.

Where has all the buddhist ethics and teachings gone in today's society?

Parents need to be thrown in jail as an example.

Rapist needs to be castrated as an example.

Need I say more?

in this case less in more.

Interesting story, but there is a stark difference between a girl who actively works in that industry and lied about her age and a girl forced into having sex with a stranger in her own bedroom against her will.

Really??? - please what is the difference?

Well in the first case , the working girl is lying there planning what to do with the money as soon as you finish and then pay her.

In the second case the girl is probably terrified and screaming in pain as she is being raped. If you cannot tell the difference between these two events, then you should probably stay away from all Thai girls......

Wait......was this one of those troll posts I hear so much about ???

Edited by EyesWideOpen
  • Like 1

This is in my opinion tantamount to 'human trafficking' surely even in Thailand there must be laws/regulations in place that the parents and the sicko were breaking?

You can 'bang on' all you like about what should be done with those involved but whatever their fate it will never compensate for the mental scars left on this poor kid! What a start to a life eh????mad.gif

Edited by lizardtongue

Well in the first case , the working girl is lying there planning what to do with the money as soon as you finish and then pay her.

In the second case the girl is probably terrified and screaming in pain as she is being raped. If you cannot tell the difference between these two events, then you should probably stay away from all Thai girls......

Wait......was this one of those troll posts I hear so much about ???

It is so sad that some people don't seem to realise that when a CHILD is involved it is pretty much irrelevant whether or not consent or money is involved - the point is that it is a CHILD and not considered in a position to make those sort of decisions. Adults who take advantage of children in anyway should be held accountable by law.........

• Like 1

The parents were quick to seize the opportunity for that windfall of 2,000 baht. Sad very sad. This happens a lot in Thailand. Forced sex is not a prerequisite, as many parents are willing to sell their daughters in Thailand. Everything is for sale.

Who's to blame? obviously this was a Thai person otherwise we would have seen pics and the lot. Agreed, everything is for sale here. Sadly enough.