Thai Mum Sells Child Bride For B2,000

george

Thai mum sells child bride for B2,000

LOP BURI: -- A mother forced her 13-year-old daughter to marry a 34-year-old man who paid a bride price of 2,000 baht, The Pavena Foundation for Women and Children (Pavena) reported on Friday.

The girl told foundation staff that the man had come over for a drink with her parents at her home on Tuesday. He later entered her room and hugged her while she was sleeping. He fled after she screamed for help.

The following day, the man came into her room again and forced her to have sex with him. When she told her parents, they asked the man to come over and then offered her as his bride for 2,000 baht.

Foundation chairwoman Pavena Hongsakul and the police immediately went to the child's house after receiving complaints from villagers about the incident. The man, his parents, and the victim's parents were brought in for questioning.

The man and his relatives protested that he had done nothing wrong. They said that there were other men in the village who had married and lived with girls who were 12 or 13 years old.

Ms Pavena said that event though the parents from both sides gave their consent for the marriage, it still violated the law which protects children below the age of 15. The government has full authority to intervene.

The child will receive trauma treatment from the Ministry of Social Development and Human Security, she added.

-- Bangkok Post 2013-01-13

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is said man Thai or farang? Can't help but wonder how desperate the parents were.

Seeing as the cash involved was only THB 2000....draw your own conclusion, if it was a farang it would cost a lot more, you only need to look at the sin sot amounts being quoted/questioned by posters on TV...

This is similar to my first gf's aunt.. Her daughter was 13. She sold her to a neighborhood drunk that was 41 years old for 10,000 Baht. The daughter locked herself in her room and refused to go with this guy. Her mother with the help of the groom broke into the room, he carried her to his truck and took her home. Two weeks later he was drunk of course, beat the hell out of her and she ran away to her sister in Bangkok. The mother found out she was with her sister and told her sister to send her back to the drunk because he was demanding his 10,000 Baht back. The 13 year old did not return. The mother lost her 10,000 Baht.

• Like 1

Thought these kind of stories were an urban myth. Guess not.... :-( As well I think this story will have a

detrimental effect on the value of sin sod for bar girls. " But honey I just saw a sin sod of 2000 baht on Thai Visa. Why does your

family want one million baht? " I think Thai at Heart is correct, these people must be from another planet.

Who in the hell would sell their daughter?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Edited by EyesWideOpen
  • Like 1

I wonder how the socioligists can explain such acts opposite Buddism and Thai culture. What human, social, cultural or parental values does these people posses.

To say that they are simply greedy is so far from the real issues. Those that do this are without doubt the lowest forms of life that ever crawled out of the swamp.

• Like 1

Thought these kind of stories were an urban myth. Guess not.... :-( As well I think this story will have a

detrimental effect on the value of sin sod for bar girls. " But honey I just saw a sin sod of 2000 baht on Thai Visa. Why does your

family want one million baht? " I think Thai at Heart is correct, these people must be from another planet.

Who in the hell would sell their daughter?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Up here where I live this is a common pratice my friend.

Who in the hell would sell their daughter??

Thai parents obviously..

Yes you are correct. Guess I should have completed my rhetorical question by adding " that was not on heavy medication

or institutionalized "..... :-) I have often heard that if a child is raped in a village here the family will perform their own

revenge upon the man. But I guess that will not apply here since she was sold.....

Life is cheap - none more so than an allegedly raped child without right of protection.This is just another case of human trafficking in actual fact and all people involved should be charged accordingly. The excuses of the 'villagers' that this is quite normal does not exactly fit into Thai law - which itself allows underaged marriage but not consensual sex. Go figure.

Up here where I live this is a common pratice my friend.

There are clearly many points involved in relation to culture, past practice etc., and to me it highlights:

- The lack of awareness of many up country Thais about various aspects of human rights, what is considered in most countries, today, to be appropriate, immoral etc. (I'm not saying that Thailand should be a 100% mirror image of so called first world countries.).

- The desperate need for a very big reduction in the enormous gap in income and quality of life, but gained through some structured approach which as quickly as possible gives a very large % of all Thai the capabilities and the opportunities to raise their income and quality of life through their own productivity.

Edited by scorecard

I have just mentioned this story to my missus, yes she is Thai. She knows about the story and feels it is wrong also but, went on to say "15 years old OK, 13 years old not OK", when I questioned further she said, "it is illegal if under 15 years old". Paying a "sin sot" for someone under 15 years old is illegal basically, even here in Thailand.

A sinsot is an "offering" to the mother & father for their daughter's hand in marriage, to prove that you are worthy of and able to take care of her. I believe, there are many cultures that also request there version of it, for example in India; Dowry . This was also the case in the UK during the Elizabethan times. All very old ways of looking at a marriage, in a modern time. The UK are trying to outlaw this part of the Indian culture apparently, hence most go back to India now to marry.

Bare in mind, I am not, in any way condoning the practice of any of this. I believe that if, you are of legal age and want to get married then fine, you should not have to pay a sinsot or dowry to get married.

Edited by Psych01
  • Like 2