Sukhothai Hotels

bkkmadness

My brother and his gf are over here visiting me and are popping up to Sukhothai tomorrow for a couple of nights before meeting me over in Tak.

They are not too fussy with their budget but would like to save a little here and there.

Room can be pretty basic, but clean, air con, and a hot shower is a must. Balcony and a few other niceities like a TV or something would be nice but not essential.

Any recommendations? :o

My brother and his gf are over here visiting me and are popping up to Sukhothai tomorrow for a couple of nights before meeting me over in Tak.

They are not too fussy with their budget but would like to save a little here and there.

Room can be pretty basic, but clean, air con, and a hot shower is a must. Balcony and a few other niceities like a TV or something would be nice but not essential.

Any recommendations? :o

Try the "Riverside Hotel" in New Sukhothai. As you are heading towards the old city, turn left just before crossing the river (nearly opposite the bus station) and the hotel is about 200 metres down on the right side of the road. There is a "coffee shop" on the ground floor with a show (!).....about 10 Thai girls taking turns in singing. Last time I stayed there the room rate was 600 baht.

Or...you could try the more up-market "Pailin Hotel" not too far from the entrance to the old city...1,000 baht to 1,200 baht a night. Good luck.

Thanks George. I actually have those three hotels on the booking site my own company affiliates with (a fair bit cheaper as well I think :o ) but I noticed a couple of them have bad reviews especially the higest priced one, The Sukhothai Resort which gets some horrible reviews from several websites.

I was hoping to find one of the places that you don't often find on the internet sites because there doesn't seem to be much of a good selection online, the 4/5/600 baht 'treasures' that often only the regular tourist/expat will know about.

Artisan, thanks for the tip. They are heading up there by bus and will be arriving a little late at night so that might be suitable for them being so close. I don't suppose you have a link to any info on that hotel do you, it's an awkward search on google as you just get tons of unrelated pages for riverside hotels throughout the country or for the sukhothai hotel in Bangkok.

It is just called the 'Riverside Hotel' is it? Any chance of a street name? :D

Edited by bkkmadness

Sorry, it's the Sukhothai "River View Hotel" that I meant. Here are the addresses and phone numbers of the hotels that I suggested.

Pailyn Hotel

10/2 Moo 1, Jarodvithithong Road. Sukhothai 64210.

Phone: 055 - 613 310/ 5; Fax: 055 - 613 317.

River View Hotel

92/1 Nikorn Kasem Road. [48 rooms: 350 - 800 Baht]

Phone : 055-611 656, 611 516, 613 371, 613 372; Fax : 055-613 373

Here is a link to a good map showing the exact location of the River View Hotel

How to Find the River View Hotel

Tell them to try the "Dear Restaurant" for some late night grub. It's on the map. Also, it's not 'dear'....quite inexpensive really!

Or...you could try the more up-market "Pailin Hotel" not too far from the entrance to the old city...1,000 baht to 1,200 baht a night. Good luck.

Pailin is quite a long way out from New Sukhothai and Old Sukhothai. I'm assuming they have a car, so it won't be a problem, but for anyone who doesn't it's 100 baht by minivan to the town centre. It's a real hassle in that respect. On the plus side, the rooms are clean. Food is good, but on the high side... after all they are in the middle of nowhere and hold the monopoly! I liked the service I received.

Pailin is quite a long way out from New Sukhothai and Old Sukhothai. I'm assuming they have a car, so it won't be a problem, but for anyone who doesn't it's 100 baht by minivan to the town centre. It's a real hassle in that respect. On the plus side, the rooms are clean. Food is good, but on the high side... after all they are in the middle of nowhere and hold the monopoly! I liked the service I received.

No, No....the Sukhothai Pailyn Hotel is about 3 km from the gates of the historical Sukhothai Park. I've stayed there and it's easy to walk to the old city. Are you thinking of the sister hotel in Phitsanulok?

No, No....the Sukhothai Pailyn Hotel is about 3 km from the gates of the historical Sukhothai Park. I've stayed there and it's easy to walk to the old city. Are you thinking of the sister hotel in Phitsanulok?

Nope. The hotel's on a bloody highway. http://www.thai-tour.com/thai-tour/North/S...-hotel/map.html to see a map. And I seriously wouldn't walk 3km in the open air. Anyway, it says 14km on the map... hmmm... and anyway, I stayed in Sukhothai, not Phitsanulok as my main reason for being there was to see meuang gaw and Si Sa. :o

Yes, it's 14 km between the new city and the Historical Park but, please believe me, the hotel in dispute is only 3 km from the park.

However far away it is, I'm amazed you walked there. There isn't even a footpath outside the hotel.

• 2 weeks later...