I Have A Job... I Should Be Happy, But...

pxlgirl

Firstly we have tardiness in showing up for work. There is NO excuse for that. If your journey often takes 15 minutes longer, leave your house 15 mins earlier. I don't think I have ever had a job where I wasn't at least 10 minutes early everyday.

Once this has been achieved this and you become a trustworthy employee who arrives on time or early, then you can address the on-time departure. Traffic has a pattern in the morning. You might find leaving 30 mins earlier cuts your travel time. Then you can ask for an 8-4 time rather than 9-5? Or have a relaxed coffee somewhere, before turning up for work early.

Don't forget the golden rule. He who has the gold makes the rules. In this case it is your employer. He might be just as frustrated with you as you are with him.

• Like 1

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It kinda annoys me how my words are being twisted, unless I've expressed myself really badly... Once again, I've always arrived on time or early, depending on the traffic. That being said, the question was if I can adjust my 8h working time depending on what time I arrive, early or on time. But that's not that relevant, what I was talking about is how to deal with overtime, (expected or not) regardless if there's work to do or not. All deadlines are being met despite of it all, so I was trying to figure out how to handle this, and the other things mentioned in my first post. I've only been in Thailand for about a year and I still got a lot to learn, Throwing the towel isn't an option, and there's no need to discredit me because I dare to question something. Life isn't easy, but one has to find ways to get through somehow. Right now I am here and I want to focus on my live I live here. Unless there's any other constructive feedback or advice, I'd be glad to read them, but stupid comments like: "if you don't like it then <deleted> off where you came from" or "suck it up and stop to be a drama biatch" keep coming up, I'd like to ask the mods to close this thread and anyone else who cares to help, is welcome to PM me. smile.png

Edited by pxlgirl
  • Like 2

How many days sick have you taken for any reason in the last 12 months? (include half days)

How many full days' work have you turned up for in the last 12 months?

Precise figures or as close as you can get, please.

I was working for 2 months back then, and it was 3 days, of which 2 were doc visits, I had a paper from my doc where it was stated that I can take time off in case I need to, I also was on some stronger meds and was told to rest as much as possible. That episode pretty much put the other part of my work (mentioned in my first post) to an end and there's no way back. I rather would not want to discuss the details in public, lets just say it was more serious than a common cold. The contract is for a year, and these have been my only days of sick leave up to this day.

How did that saying go? "Hope for the best, plan for the worst". I'm going to try to find other opportunities and move on if it's worth it.

1. Quit your job.

2. Set up your own company.

3. If you've got talent and initiative, you'll succeed; if you haven't, you won't.

I know people who specialize in what you're doing. They operate design studios in BKK. Some do extremely well.

• Like 2

1. Quit your job.

3. If you've got talent and initiative, you'll succeed; if you haven't, you won't.

I know people who specialize in what you're doing. They operate design studios in BKK. Some do extremely well.

1. Can't quit because that will cut my visa + wp within a month

2. Can't do that too, as far as I know you can set up a company if you're american citizen, which I'm not.

3. Mission impossible (see above), unless I can make it in one of such studios.

I suspected you had taken too many sick days ( in your boss' opinion ) and that your boss had effectively stopped paid sick leave. This is not the case it would seem if you have had 3 days in 2 months.

I suspect they just want you out the door and they are doing the Thai thing of squeezing your working conditions until you get the hint and resign.

You can set up your own company. Loads of foreigners do it including mates of mine. You will need a Thai lawyer to do the registration and a tax-certified accountant to sign your accounts.

1. Quit your job.

2. Can't do that too, as far as I know you can set up a company if you're american citizen, which I'm not.

No 2 is completely incorrect

• Like 1

Thais are often expected to work long hours for no extra pay. In fact, this is standard for low rnd management jobs in us as well. They make you a "supervisor" on salary then give you an extra ten hours lowering you pph by 25%.

My wife works an extra ten hoursva week easy. Im bullshit over it, but its not like she has other options. She has staked her claim at this company and it is not easy for Thai gen office workers to start over. Hell, she does not even have FTE status yet - this year we hope.

So suck it up if you want to work hete and stop being such a drama queen. You are not teaching English <deleted>.

A good friend of mine work for an american company in Bangkok, his manager is american. Unpaid over time is the norm. Special assignments on Saturday and Sunday (unpaid) when foreign customers come to visit is the norm. People who take holidays are frowned upon. But the pay is good ...

Just suck it up and play it by the book i.e.

1) Be punctual, 5 minutes early if possible. Start work on time and leave on time.

2) The above also applies to your projects and assignments.

3) Refrain from using arm-twisting tactics with your boss such as threats of resignation.

4) Most importantly, quit the whining/moaning and get on with it!

Lastly, start looking for other opportunities, perhaps closer to where you're staying?

1. Quit your job.

1. Why haven't you already done a Google search for foreign owned or foreign managed creative design studios in BKK?

2. Why haven't you already compiled a list of such studios?

3. Why haven't you already contacted these studios to ask about full-time employment or freelance outsourcing opportunities?

4. Why haven't you already forwarded your design portfolio to these studios?

5. Why are you asking so many questions on a forum whose members are predominantly sex tourists residing outside of Thailand?

Initiative + Common Sense + Ambition = what?

Edited by andrew

I suspected you had taken too many sick days ( in your boss' opinion ) and that your boss had effectively stopped paid sick leave. This is not the case it would seem if you have had 3 days in 2 months.

I suspect they just want you out the door and they are doing the Thai thing of squeezing your working conditions until you get the hint and resign.

You can set up your own company. Loads of foreigners do it including mates of mine. You will need a Thai lawyer to do the registration and a tax-certified accountant to sign your accounts.

and four Thai staff for every WP you want.

I think the minimum wage for a WP'd employee is THB45,000 or so, as I recall (maybe only 30K).

But I think there's plenty of threads on that in the relevant forum

SC

and four Thai staff for every WP you want.

I think the minimum wage for a WP'd employee is THB45,000 or so, as I recall (maybe only 30K).

But I think there's plenty of threads on that in the relevant forum

SC

There is no mininum for a WP to be issued, its the extension of stay where the salary bit comes in, being paid less than specified for your nationality no WP

Perfectly possible. You deal with the clients. Let your lawyer deal with 4 employees requirement.

However, from your posts, it appears you do not wish to move out of your comfort zone, leave your current employer and start your own enterprise.

Making a living outside of the bounds of regular employment requires tenacity, skill, determination and a lot of hard work. I know. The pay-off is you are your own boss.

I had a friend and co-worker who had some similar problems to yours. One of her big problems was her commute. She had to travel by bus for almost 2 hours each way! She felt comfortable in the Khao San Road area, where there were many other foreigners to hang out with and talk too, but our office was way out near the airport. She had lots of health problems and eventually gave up and went back to her country. I'm convinced that the stress of her daily commute contributed to her health problems.

Unless you are locked into your current living location, look for an apartment that is close to work. Being a short walk or bus ride from your office can not only allow you to be more punctual, but will give you more personal time and relieve some of the stress in your life.

If your hours are supposed to be 9 to 5, then work from 9 or earlier to 5 or later, not 8 to 4, not 10 to 6. Also, being at work at 9 should mean having arrived, had a cup or coffee or tea, said hello to your co-workers and warmed up your computer BEFORE 9, so that you are actually working at 9.

Finally, I would start looking for another job if I were you. Once you are off on the wrong foot with your manager and co-workers, it's almost impossible to get their good opinion back.

There are just a few simple rules to surviving in a Thai work environment:

1. Don't be sick or late for the first 2 or 3 months.

2. Be cheerful, don't start the non-stop complaining that is so beloved of foreigners in Thailand until after you have established a good first impression.

3. Dress conservatively, unless they want you to join in a skit or some other silly nonsense.

That's pretty much it. Things like job performance and competence are pretty much secondary. Being successful in Thailand is mainly about appearance, not ability.

• Like 2

I had a friend and co-worker who had some similar problems to yours. One of her big problems was her commute. She had to travel by bus for almost 2 hours each way! She felt comfortable in the Khao San Road area, where there were many other foreigners to hang out with and talk too, but our office was way out near the airport. She had lots of health problems and eventually gave up and went back to her country. I'm convinced that the stress of her daily commute contributed to her health problems.

Unless you are locked into your current living location, look for an apartment that is close to work. Being a short walk or bus ride from your office can not only allow you to be more punctual, but will give you more personal time and relieve some of the stress in your life.

If your hours are supposed to be 9 to 5, then work from 9 or earlier to 5 or later, not 8 to 4, not 10 to 6. Also, being at work at 9 should mean having arrived, had a cup or coffee or tea, said hello to your co-workers and warmed up your computer BEFORE 9, so that you are actually working at 9.

Finally, I would start looking for another job if I were you. Once you are off on the wrong foot with your manager and co-workers, it's almost impossible to get their good opinion back.

2. Be cheerful, don't start the non-stop complaining that is so beloved of foreigners in Thailand until after you have established a good first impression.

3. Dress conservatively, unless they want you to join in a skit or some other silly nonsense.

That's pretty much it. Things like job performance and competence are pretty much secondary. Being successful in Thailand is mainly about appearance, not ability.

<Once you are off on the wrong foot with your manager and co-workers, it's almost impossible to get their good opinion back.>

It's not always THEIR good opinion. I worked in some places where my manager and co workers were horrid people.

Quite frankly, managers seem to be overwhelmingly nasty people, but I did have the opportunity to work with an occasional decent one.

However, whichever side is in the wrong, it's rarely worth persevering if things are bad on a personal level, unless one is a masochist.

so how many years you worked in Thailand then ?..and come one be honest

<Another thing which is quite annoying is the fact that my boss seems to expect from everyone to do (unpaid) overtime,>

Seems to be a common Thai thing. My wife is always coming home late because she had to do "overtime". She works for a large Thai company- not the government.

could that be to do with fact, that in vast majority of offices, the vast majority of employees, sit around all day picking their noses, squeezing their zits, playing angry birds or updating their facebook pages...hence they have to put in overtime for tasks they could have completed that particular day ?

<Another thing which is quite annoying is the fact that my boss seems to expect from everyone to do (unpaid) overtime,>

Seems to be a common Thai thing. My wife is always coming home late because she had to do "overtime". She works for a large Thai company- not the government.

could that be to do with fact, that in vast majority of offices, the vast majority of employees, sit around all day picking their noses, squeezing their zits, playing angry birds or updating their facebook pages...hence they have to put in overtime for tasks they could have completed that particular day ?

Hmmmmm, my wife doesn't inhabit an office, she actually works for her money.

A bit over 10 years, to be exact.

&lt;deleted&gt;? You actually want the most precious of all commodities in all of Thailand? "THE TRUTH"? 555