Building Western Style Bathroom In Issan.

Simbo

iI'm paying for a bathroom in my thai girlfriends house near Prachan Chai. I gave her 50k, which I felt was enough. We went together to buy all the interior fittings, which I took there my self in the pickup. the room is being built at the side of the house, and has 4 walls of cinder block, rendered with cement. the floor is concrete.

20 bags of cement were stacked, huge heap of sand and stone. I watched them working for a couple of hours, but had to go. they seemed to be efficient, but very generous with the cement. I dont know the mix here, but one full bag to the mixing bowl seemed a lot.

Anyway, they have asked for 10 more bags of cement. the room is 3m by 2m. 30 bags of cement seems an awful lt to me.

Thoughts gentlemen please ???

Haha, good one neversure.

No problems Simbo - something seriously has gone amiss with your toilet. I realise mine is a squat and slightly smaller but 50,000 baht means someone is having a very big lend of you. With mine costing just under 10,000 then I would suggest your should be no more then 15,000. Here is a few pics after it was painted. http://www.memock.com/2011/06/12/our-new-thai-squat-toilet-finally-finished/

IT's probably to late now but i bet they never fitted P Traps under the floor to stop the smells and whatever else crawls up the pipe. They think you only put these in on the 2nd story. Also use Square Floor and Shower wastes and make them locate them in the middle of the shower and bathroom and slope the tiles to the waste. They should never be put in the corner, which is their normal wsy,

Simbo, I have to agree with MeMock on this one re: cost and bags of cement used.

Below is my garden shed / workshop. 5X3 Mtrs. Rendered blocks, tiled floor, steel frame. Complete with fully plumbed toilet water and electric.

From memory, there were 12 bags of 50 Kg cement used. Total cost was 17K Bht.

post-11518-0-62494100-1358397252_thumb.j

• Like 1

Simbo, I have to agree with MeMock on this one re: cost and bags of cement used.

Below is my garden shed / workshop. 5X3 Mtrs. Rendered blocks, tiled floor, steel frame. Complete with fully plumbed toilet water and electric.

From memory, there were 12 bags of 50 Kg cement used. Total cost was 17K Bht.

post-11518-0-62494100-1358397252_thumb.j

Maybe he lives in fault line so mak mak cement.

You cant be to careful.

You are making your contribution to the workers own house remodeling I see. My western bathroom including toilet and hot water cost 15000 baht and I thought that was a bit much.

60 Bags of cement? Something very fishy going on! Better just suck it up as a lesson learned. Is your builder/contractor a family member?