GBP to THB Exchange Rate

It looks to me like it's downhill from here.

http://www.investing.com/currencies/gbp-thb-technical

Weren't they saying 'strong sell' last week as well?
I don't know, I wasn't looking last week, but honestly I kinda doubt it, you can be in/assured of that smile.png.
I think hold out for 50 before the end of the month.
And then you will change your 100 quid and dine out on the 5000 baht rather than 4800 baht.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't know, I wasn't looking last week, but honestly I kinda doubt it, you can be in/assured of that smile.png.
They've actually been saying 'strong sell' for the past two weeks.

I'm guessing they aren't all that good at predicting currency exchange rates.

I think hold out for 50 before the end of the month. Let's see who is right, the big boys or me?

All the way to 50 from it's current 48.5, before the end of the month, a risk taker of the highest order, I can tell! Far too heady for me, big boy. biggrin.png

I think hold out for 50 before the end of the month. Let's see who is right, the big boys or me?

All the way to 50 from it's current 48.5, before the end of the month, a risk taker of the highest order, I can tell! Far too heady for me, big boy. biggrin.png
And what were you predicting? ahhh yes, I remember, 35! Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

And what were you predicting? ahhh yes, I remember, 35!

Post 752 one page back tells the story on that history, move on, it's 2013 not not 2008!

So, you're at 50 for two weeks hence, me, I'm saying flat and then down, unusre of the timescales though, likely not long.

• Like 1

Interesting that the BOT is now actively trying to strengthen THB by selling USD reserves. it looks like they don't want it to go any lower, there's a clue the size of a house there for anyone trying to decide when to bring money into the country from overseas!.

Interesting that the BOT is now actively trying to strengthen THB by selling USD reserves. it looks like they don't want it to go any lower, there's a clue the size of a house there for anyone trying to decide when to bring money into the country from overseas!.

i don't think that's the case. no central bank likes a disorderly appreciation or depreciation. yesterday the RBI intervened heavily when the Indian Rupee was about to hit 59 vs. USD.

i don't think that's the case. no central bank likes a disorderly appreciation or depreciation. yesterday the RBI intervened heavily when the Indian Rupee was about to hit 59 vs. USD.

I'm not allowed to post the link but it's being reported in that Bangkok newspaper online in the Business Section, article posted at 2:00pm, half an hour after THB started to strengthen, the article is cunningly disguised under the heading, "BOT intervenes in forex".

Edited by chiang mai

I'm not allowed to post the link but it's being reported in that Bangkok newspaper online in the Business Section, article posted at 2:00pm, half an hour after THB started to strengthen, the article is cunningly disguised under the heading, "BOT intervenes in forex".

nobody denies that the BoT is intervening and has intervened since several years to prevent THB's appreciation from overshooting. to call the reporting of a central bank intervention a "cunningly disguise" is beyond my grasp.

This is not just about repatriation of funds because of the end of QE. Markets deal in the future, they like what they see in the UK and the USA, and have got wind of something rotten in Thailand. Still unlikely, but would not be surprised to see the baht crash.

If I was considering changing money to baht I would try to do it in stages.

In all honesty though I am a rotten gambler and one worthwhile strategy mught be to do the diammetric opposite to what I advise.

• Like 1

nobody denies that the BoT is intervening and has intervened since several years to prevent THB's appreciation from overshooting. to call the reporting of a central bank intervention a "cunningly disguise" is beyond my grasp.

You misunderstand both points:

The first is that the BOT intervened this PM by selling USD in order to prevent the Baht from weakening any further, hence the reference to the article in the Bangkok newspaper confirming the same.

Secondly, the British contingent (plus many others) will recognise the term, "cunningly disquised" as a take from the Blackadder comedy series, hence the phrase is an attempt to interject some humour or levity into the subject, but one would need to have a sence of humour in the first place in order to understand that!

• Like 1

This is not just about repatriation of funds because of the end of QE. Markets deal in the future, they like what they see in the UK and the USA, and have got wind of something rotten in Thailand. Still unlikely, but would not be surprised to see the baht crash.

In all honesty though I am a rotten gambler and one worthwhile strategy mught be to do the diammetric opposite to what I advise.

Indeed it's all very complicated, my guess is that it's a combination of things: at present THB seems to have bottomed and is now strengthening, it was weakening because of capital outflows but BOT seems to have decided it doesn't want it weakened beyond a certain level and has intervened to ensure that happens.

So now THB is strengthening because of BOT intervention and perhaps also because the SET has fallen quite badly, There's a lot of positive spin reports comming out regarding the UK economy but the fundamentals remain the same, UK GDP is very low and borrowings are very high, Thailand however is the opposite with positive GDP and lowish debt although I accept this is slowly changing as China weakens. So I think what we've witnessed is nothing more than a temporary blip on the GBP/THB radar and now things are slowly returning to normal, that;'my take on things albeit it's nothing more than an uneducated attempt to piece together some parts of a jigsaw..

The first is that the BOT intervened this PM by selling USD

in order to prevent the Baht from weakening any further, hence the

reference to the article in the Bangkok newspaper confirming the same.

Secondly,

the British contingent (plus many others) will recognise the term,

"cunningly disquised" as a take from the Blackadder comedy series, hence

the phrase is an attempt to interject some humour or levity into the

subject, but one would need to have a sence of humour in the first place

in order to understand that!

important is that the BoT bought Dollars for Baht, not just selling Dollars and buying Cowrie shells or Malawian Kwacha.

understanding "cunningly disguised" derived from some TV series might

be easy for a Brit who watches series on TV. but a German (like me) who

acquired English as third language and who has never heard of a

"Blackadder" series interpretes the expression at face value. whatever

amount humour he possesses will not help him to understand the alleged

meaning of the expression.

now where/how do i get hold of "Blackadder" to enhance my English? huh.png

Indeed it's all very complicated, my guess is that it's a combination of things: at present THB seems to have bottomed and is now strengthening, it was weakening because of capital outflows but BOT seems to have decided it doesn't want it weakened beyond a certain level and has intervened to ensure that happens.

So now THB is strengthening because of BOT intervention and perhaps also because the SET has fallen quite badly, There's a lot of positive spin reports comming out regarding the UK economy but the fundamentals remain the same, UK GDP is very low and borrowings are very high, Thailand however is the opposite with positive GDP and lowish debt although I accept this is slowly changing as China weakens. So I think what we've witnessed is nothing more than a temporary blip on the GBP/THB radar and now things are slowly returning to normal, that;'my take on things albeit it's nothing more than an uneducated attempt to piece together some parts of a jigsaw..

You are wrong, you have always been wrong.

The BoT has been pumping money in for the past week and failing.

When they stop the baht will fall even faster.

Intervention may have stopped the rate of the fall so not necessarily a fail.

Slowing down the rate sometimes buys time through a period of general uncertainty.

Not to say that the baht may/may not resume a decline.

Secondly,

important is that the BoT bought Dollars for Baht, not just selling Dollars and buying Cowrie shells or Malawian Kwacha.

i have got the next best thing to enhance your british sense of humour "little britain" that will make your hair stand on end.

• Like 1

Time will tell.

But when you say the BOT has been pumping money in all week, is that a fact that is supported by some evidence you can produce or do you really mean to say that you think the BOT has been pumping money in for the past week but that is not really a fact?

i have got the next best thing to enhance your british sense of humour "little britain" that will make your hair stand on end.

i used to watch and like "are you being served?".

• Like 1

Secondly,

English may be your second or third language but I know it to be more advanced than many native English speakers so you can't fall back on that excuse, you old fraud :)

Actually I'm slightly surprised that you've not come across Blackadder before since it's gained cult status over thirty years in most parts of the world, perhaps google Rowan Atkinson if interested.

I certainly wouldn't admit to that.... anyway apparently the department store the series was modelled on was Simpsons on Piccadilly which is now long gone but the art deco building has a preservation order on it.

I certainly wouldn't admit to that.... anyway apparently the department store the series was modelled on was Simpsons on Piccadilly which is now long gone but the art deco building has a preservation order on it.

The restaurant there used to do one of the best Sunday roasts in the entire country, during the 1990's, at 25 Pounds per plate it was well worth the expense.

It just passed 47.75, u still comfortable with 50, dya reckon the BOT will run out of dollars soon, sorry, couln't resist? giggle.gif

English may be your second or third language but I know it to be more advanced than many native English speakers so you can't fall back on that excuse, you old fraud smile.png

Actually I'm slightly surprised that you've not come across Blackadder before since it's gained cult status over thirty years in most parts of the world, perhaps google Rowan Atkinson if interested.

i have come across a number of English series but had quite often a problem understanding the exotic language spoken. sometimes i even had the feeling that the episodes were dubbed using speech impaired aliens from outer space.

recently i had a similar experience when a British Thaivisa-member was a guest in my house. i understood 25% what he said, guessed 25%, but that left me still with a loss of 50% sad.png

worthwhile to mention is that his postings in TV are flawless.

Knighthoods are often political in nature, Tony Robinson who was knighted was an active Labour supporter hence the recommendation for knighthood came from Labour. Rowan Attkinson on the other is not politically active, 'nuff said I believe.

Knighthoods are often political in nature, Tony Robinson who was knighted was an active Labour supporter hence the recommendation for knighthood came from Labour. Rowan Attkinson on the other is not politically active, 'nuff said I believe.

who recommended Elton John?

who recommended Elton John?

Elton John is very close friends with the royals hence his appointment was not political, I believe the friendship originated with Dianna. Presumably your questions are an exploration as to how you might acquire a knighthood, the bigger challenge might be convincing Prince Charles to come to Pattaya to administer the award and say, arise Sir Naam.