GBP to THB Exchange Rate

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As you can see I've posted the full report and not erased the negatives.. Production in June was very good, booming car sales and the housing market back on track.. I could sit here all day and post negatives about the Thai economy but it. Would take me to long..

http://news.sky.com/story/1139041/osborne-uk-economy-is-turning-a-corner

The tide is changing whatever a certain person says..

Of course it is!

http://www.ftadviser.com/2013/09/06/investments/economic-indicators/uk-trade-deficit-widens-to-the-biggest-in-a-year-2RB7sQwtN2TvEvrBuHYzQP/article.html

And indeed that tide might be changing, but we'd never know it based on rehtoric and hearts and minds agency articles alone! So, if you want to really make a case about the strength of the UK economy, do some research and post your stats from reliable sources and I might begin to agree with you, perhaps.

It's a visous cycle, what goes around comes around so be very very careful what you wish for:

"The slowdown in emerging markets has forced the UKs trade deficit to its largest level since last summer after exports to non-EU countries decreased by £2.2bn.

Seasonally adjusted, the UKs deficit on trade in goods and services was estimated to have been £3.1bn in July, compared with a deficit of £1.3bn in June, the Office for National Statistics said.

Exports of goods to countries outside of the EU fell by £2.2bn to £11.8bn, while exports within the EU rose slightly to £13bn.

Overall, there was a deficit of £9.9bn on goods which was partly offset by an estimated surplus of £6.8bn from services.

Samuel Tombs, UK economist at Capital Economics, said the fall in exports could be a sign of things to come.

It seems as if the slowdown in growth in emerging markets has sapped demand for UK exports - the value of goods exports to outside the EU fell by £2.2bn, the economist said. Whats more, the fact that many emerging market currencies have depreciated sharply since July, thus reducing the competitiveness of UK exports, suggests that further falls in exports to those regions may be in store. As a result, todays trade figures could be an early warning that the economy cannot depend on the strong support that it received from net trade in the first half of the year for much longer.

Elsewhere, UK production was flat between June and July, although manufacturing rose by 0.2 per cent".

http://www.ftadviser.com/2013/09/06/investments/economic-indicators/uk-trade-deficit-widens-to-the-biggest-in-a-year-2RB7sQwtN2TvEvrBuHYzQP/article.html

He always post the negatives but doesn't post the positives so I will.. It's about time you got over this fixation about the pound collapsing.. It was 47.8 when you said it would and its now its 50.. I'm sure if you go on long enough then it will drop at sometime maybe 2 or 3 years lol

Some people do need to look 2-3 or 10 or more years ahead. Looking at all the debt risks, state unfunded liabilities, pensions shortfalls etc, then consider the printing that could be needed to meet these obligations. So the £ has come back a bit , maybe a bit more, but if looking to the longer term then now or over this next year or two might be a time worth considering building some alternative currency investments in case of future movements either way.

I'm really just happy the west didn't fall in to a full blown currency crises ; given that about half the uk national debt has been printed away its kinda of miraculous , most countries would have , its amazing really.

It's a visous cycle, what goes around comes around so be very very careful what you wish for:

"The slowdown in emerging markets has forced the UKs trade deficit to its largest level since last summer after exports to non-EU countries decreased by £2.2bn.

Seasonally adjusted, the UKs deficit on trade in goods and services was estimated to have been £3.1bn in July, compared with a deficit of £1.3bn in June, the Office for National Statistics said.

Exports of goods to countries outside of the EU fell by £2.2bn to £11.8bn, while exports within the EU rose slightly to £13bn.

Overall, there was a deficit of £9.9bn on goods which was partly offset by an estimated surplus of £6.8bn from services.

Samuel Tombs, UK economist at Capital Economics, said the fall in exports could be a sign of things to come.

It seems as if the slowdown in growth in emerging markets has sapped demand for UK exports - the value of goods exports to outside the EU fell by £2.2bn, the economist said. Whats more, the fact that many emerging market currencies have depreciated sharply since July, thus reducing the competitiveness of UK exports, suggests that further falls in exports to those regions may be in store. As a result, todays trade figures could be an early warning that the economy cannot depend on the strong support that it received from net trade in the first half of the year for much longer.

Elsewhere, UK production was flat between June and July, although manufacturing rose by 0.2 per cent".

He always post the negatives but doesn't post the positives so I will.. It's about time you got over this fixation about the pound collapsing.. It was 47.8 when you said it would and its now its 50.. I'm sure if you go on long enough then it will drop at sometime maybe 2 or 3 years lol

Some people do need to look 2-3 or 10 or more years ahead. Looking at all the debt risks, state unfunded liabilities, pensions shortfalls etc, then consider the printing that could be needed to meet these obligations. So the £ has come back a bit , maybe a bit more, but if looking to the longer term then now or over this next year or two might be a time worth considering building some alternative currency investments in case of future movements either way.

I'm really just happy the west didn't fall in to a full blown currency crises ; given that about half the uk national debt has been printed away its kinda of miraculous , most countries would have , its amazing really.

As some of us know it's a numbers game, sadly there are hoards who have yet to understand that and continue to believe that emotion and patriotism will win the day, if you're a Brit you must say positive things about the Pound etc. - ask any Brit in the bars down soi 6 what the exchange rate should be and they'll reply, 70, ask them why and they'll tell you that the UK has the better economy because the Thai's can't construct decent seven sidewalks and the UK police are less corrupt! I mean really, folks don't even comprehend the reality of the propoganda churned out by their own country's press let alone what they see with their own eyes in front of them - end of rant.

As some of us know it's a numbers game, sadly there are hoards who have yet to understand that and continue to believe that emotion and patriotism will win the day, if you're a Brit you must say positive things about the Pound etc. - ask any Brit in the bars down soi 6 what the exchange rate should be and they'll reply, 70, ask them why and they'll tell you that the UK has the better economy because the Thai's can't construct decent seven sidewalks and the UK police are less corrupt! I mean really, folks don't even comprehend the reality of the propoganda churned out by their own country's press let alone what they see with their own eyes in front of them - end of rant.

What BS you write.. Who cares about a sex tourist in soi 6.. Im a brit and i sont think it should be 70 baht to the pound and the majority dont either.. Ive never met 1 Brit who has said that the economy is better than the Thais.. we all know its cheaper to make things here in Thailand... we all know that a corrupt police force doesnt change the economy either... you aint for real dude thats for sure and a True brit knows whats really going on back home not some dumb drunk in soi 6... Im still waiting for your answer to why the pound hasnt fallen below the 47.8 mark that you said was going to happen over 1 month ago.. your the only guy on here that never predicts anything right.. stick to your own currency as you seem to know more about soi 6 than the pound..cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

CM clearly knows a level of Brits that I do not know. Most could not even explain the diff between selling and buying GBP. When I hear the lame old tosh about sex tourists on Soi 6 again, my BS detector is twitching.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

44% of school leavers don't even get grades enough to work on tescos check out (5 A-C grades at GCSE)

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2012/oct/18/gcse-exam-pass-rate-falls-for-first-time-in-decade

Even your average graduate wouldn't know about the financial world unless they took a particular interest in it.

The same would go for any country. But the small % of people that are interested is growing I think and equals thousands or millions globally. But anyhow; I fail to see what relevance a bunch of people propping up a bar has to do with anything.

A bit of debate on the fundamentals is welcome.

Chiang Mai seems to be aware of the risks but maybe a bit overly negative; I think there is opportunity in the cycle.

Hoi rat , can you look past the short term? At least have a crack at a reasoned case for possible projections beyond the immediate? I don't really care if you do or not but the flippancy has me intrigued whether you have any cognitive power to back it up.

I wouldnt say its a positive or a negative, its quite simply just the truth.

But you must be ejaculating at the spin Gideon is churning out today, me personally i'd like to see him shot he is more incompetent and dangerous then Brown.

What BS you write.. Who cares about a sex tourist in soi 6.. Im a brit and i sont think it should be 70 baht to the pound and the majority dont either.. Ive never met 1 Brit who has said that the economy is better than the Thais.. we all know its cheaper to make things here in Thailand... we all know that a corrupt police force doesnt change the economy either... you aint for real dude thats for sure and a True brit knows whats really going on back home not some dumb drunk in soi 6... Im still waiting for your answer to why the pound hasnt fallen below the 47.8 mark that you said was going to happen over 1 month ago.. your the only guy on here that never predicts anything right.. stick to your own currency as you seem to know more about soi 6 than the pound..cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Put up a reasoned argument as to why and support it with facts, then you might get listened to, until then you will continue to be ignored..

I'd say most Brits who travel overseas and spend a lot of time away be they builders or bankers can see the nation is damaged beyond repair and that developing nations are catching us up. Whereas most back home believe everything "Top Table Dave" and his motley crew churn out, or they just don't tune in to it at all.

Thing is their view is main stream so people who don't accept stories knocked out by the "Ministry of Truth" are deemed as being slightly cranky.

May be capitalism that we almost had is dead and that printing money, borrowing 140 billion a year and stealing from savers is sound economics, and no i'm not being facetious, as i've been proved wrong for 10 years in predicting a crash.

CM clearly knows a level of Brits that I do not know. Most could not even explain the diff between selling and buying GBP. When I hear the lame old tosh about sex tourists on Soi 6 again, my BS detector is twitching.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Duh, I'n case you didn't get: it I was using the analogy of soi 6 british expats to mean the hoardes of people (of all nationalities) who sit around the bars and exchange ideas of why something is as it is, without understanding the reasons why and somehow always manage to come up with a (wrong) answer of the way things will be in the future - sex doesn't even enter into the subject!.

I'd say most Brits who travel overseas and spend a lot of time away be they builders or bankers can see the nation is damaged beyond repair and that developing nations are catching us up. Whereas most back home believe everything "Top Table Dave" and his motley crew churn out, or they just don't tune in to it at all.

Thing is their view is main stream so people who don't accept stories knocked out by the "Ministry of Truth" are deemed as being slightly cranky.

May be capitalism that we almost had is dead and that printing money, borrowing 140 billion a year and stealing from savers is sound economics, and no i'm not being facetious, as i've been proved wrong for 10 years in predicting a crash.

I'd say that's all pretty much spot on.

But I'm OK with the hearts and minds campaign in the British press about how well the UK economy is doing because I think increasingly more and more people are begining to see that so much of it is spin, it's almost a war time tactic of winning over people's minds, this time however in order to get them to spend more and to get the economy moving. And if people really want to listen to the spin and not bother to see if the underlying numbers have improved then that's there perogative and likely their financial downfall also, it's sad nevertheless that some people can't see the wood for the trees.

So if I come across as overly negative it's not that I want England to fail or that I want a weak Pound, on the contrary I'm very patriotic and I dearly want to see England do well. But the discussion in this thread is not about patriotism and it needs a counter balance to the Ministry of Spin propoganda, as you put it, so when I see an article that I think portrays fact (vs emotion or propoganda) I'll post it, in the hope that it might help someone see the true picture.

Finally, having a discussion and/or getting excited about the move of GBP from 47.5 to 50.4 seems like a pointless exercise to me that I'm happpy to let others have on their own.

A useful snapshot for future reference:

Posted Image

It does confirm a slight improvement.

On those GDP figures. But then its worth considering that as confirmed GDP has almost flatlined over the last 7 years while the national debt has almost doubled.

http://www.ukpublicspending.co.uk/uk_national_debt_chart.html

Things as they are right now, personally I think getting the deficit under control and a slower paced economy is better than a big boom or over austerity leading down a death spiral a la Greece.

If you fancy a viewing of something a little bit different search "thrive" on you tube and watch the movie

I doubt any Brit would use the term "sidewalk" (let alone "decent seven sidewalks" whatever that means). It is interesting how people continue to poopoo the old GBP - for half a decade nearly now, posters here have been grubbing on about sub 30 by the end of the year (year on year) and the old chestnut - it'll never break 50 again in our lifetimes. Well you were wrong on both counts, and have continued to be over and over. There are very clever people on all sides, and all sides are juggling to keep their country's economies afloat (or have been) - it is not a simple mathematical progression because it is not natural, it is pushed, pulled and tinkered with to make it the best shape to stay aloft.

I agree many Brits would think when the UK is at full fiscal strength again (whatever that translates to in reality), and the Baht weakens, then 60+ is not too unlikely - remember in 18 months Thailand is going into ASEAN full throttle and they really do not seem to be ready for it - it is likely to be quite different to the rosy eyed image the government likes to portray (as they all start investing in the SGX!)

• Like 1

One of the great things about social forums such as this is that people can sit back and simply pour poo on what ever another person had said, completely out of context, six, twelve or even sixty months ago, without ever having to exercise any of their own grey matter or stick their neck out even a millimeter - as far as mass media entertainment for the uneducated masses goes, no wonder the concept is so sucessful.

• Like 1

One of the great things about social forums such as this is that people can sit back and simply pour poo on what ever another person had said, completely out of context, six, twelve or even sixty months ago, without ever having to exercise any of their own grey matter or stick their neck out even a millimeter - as far as mass media entertainment for the uneducated masses goes, no wonder the concept is so sucessful.

That's just it though CM, whatever anyone says about major currencies 6, 12 or even 60 months down the line is going to be pure guess work - speculating is almost asking for a slap after that time (even when right at some points during that time). On a non financial forum like this one, its pretty safe, but we all know just how damaging some people's speculations can be to currencies, companies, share prices etc - some people's "predictions" (e.g. George Soros/Warren Buffet and author/pundits like Robert Wiedemer) are more like dictates. I don't know if your comment was in response to mine or not, but I wasn't aiming a shot at you directly (other than the sidewalk thing :D), more that people here in general have been predicting doom and gloom and downward spiral, when in reality not much has happened since the initial bank crashes kicked western economies in the gonads, it's pretty much stayed the same exchange rate wise vs the Baht, and has floated up to 50 on a few occasions since (and has again now). It is not predictable because these are major currencies with a lot of wiggle room and clever people pulling the right strings to keep the whole lot flying.

By the way, I haven't looked what you said 60 months ago (or 6, 12 for that) - I do know that I disagreed then about the GBP tanking under 30 for the foreseeable future and never getting above 50 again - I couldn't see it then, can't see it now. I also don't see 70 on the horizon either (and IME Thai's can't build a decent pavement :P)

I lived in the US for fifteen years hence some of my vocabulary is Americanised, have no idea where the "seven" came from though.

But you see the point is that today, people with absolutely zero understanding of the factors associated with currency fluctuation or economic change sit back and wait to see if someone elses theory or hypothosesis comes true, when it does they are strangely quiet and when it doesn't they raise their noses and say, pff, so called experts blah blah and all of a sudden they're the experts who are right yet they still understand nothing of the factors or the process. In truth the spirit of debate and analysis and debate is lost to the likes of Hoi rat and others who are only capable of throwing poo rather than contributing, sad really.

• Like 1

Slightly off topic but relevant, watch James Goldsmith and his insight into globalisation, he was ahead of his time, but now we've reached the future he is talking about its stating the obvious.

I dont want my child competing with East European/Chinese/Indian standards of living,, do you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PQrz8F0dBI

http://www.declineoftheempire.com/2012/02/james-goldsmith-on-globalization.html

I like the quote where he says something like "that an economy is there to serve its people, if it doesn't it is of no use."

• Like 2

Looking at the bottom chart on this page:

http://www.ukpublicspending.co.uk/uk_national_debt_chart.html

Can see that for the majority of the last 300years debt to GDP has been well over what it is today in the UK. Especially since so much of today's debt has interest payment circled back around to the treasury; I can see a valid argument saying that national debt levels really don't matter too much.

It doesn't take into account private debt, which if you do a quick google search youll find is at record levels.

It doesn't take into account off the record debt such as PFI and pension liabilities of an ageing population, which includes the endless amounts of people who have been working in the public sector who are now up for final salary pensions from their early to mid 50s.

Also from 1692 we owned half the planet thus had assets and we also had the gold standard, nowadays repayment is backed by promises from governments who print money.

Too add to that once upon a time we'd work all week in factories making things, and then go to the shops at the weekend to buy these goods. Nowadays others (not I) work in service sector jobs producing sweet FA, then at the weekend go out and spend borrowed money on Chinese produced tat.

Can i vote this the most boring post in the history of thaivisa.The op is

gbp to thai baht exchange,not war and peace,pontification i think

You can do what you like but it responds to his quote, now trot along X Factor is on.

The BBC currency exchange page posted a notice that they were dealing with an error in the way forex prices were being reported, they've now corrected the problem and as a result (if anyone's been following that source) GBP/THB just took a significant jump back to normality:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business/market_data/currency/11/11678/intraday.stm

That seems to account for the earlier differences between rates that some of us had.

Unemployement comes in at 7.7%, gilt yields fall back and the Pound weakens slightly, why? Because the market now sees interest rates unchanged until at least 2015:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/business-news-markets-live/10301079/Business-news-and-markets-live.html

Expect there to be some serious quetioning very soon as to whether those new jobs are real or merely expanded use of zero hour contracts.

http://www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/SN06553.pdf

Edited by chiang mai

This news is good news and is a partial explanation as to why the GBP continues daily to grow stronger against the baht which for the last few days is not the case with the US$. Today through Superrich which is far more reflective of the markets than these distorted high street bank links that CM continues to use/post) one could change as many 50 pounds as you wanted at 50.45. This is the highest it has been for years. My broker said that late last week for a short period they could buy for me at 50.50 for a short time as well.

I would like to think that if Syria occurs re the US, that the UK continues to surge, the US starts to recover and as such QE remain at the for front of minds and that the Thaksin issue continues to haunt - amongst other factors - that we will either bounce of 55 of go through it to 60. I cannot see that 60 will be breached again.

However look how quickly that the baht fell from 65 to 50 when QE was introduced in late 2008. It was a dramatic decline and was in direct line with the start of QE.

This news is good news and is a partial explanation as to why the GBP continues daily to grow stronger against the baht which for the last few days is not the case with the US$. Today through Superrich which is far more reflective of the markets than these distorted high street bank links that CM continues to use/post) one could change as many 50 pounds as you wanted at 50.45. This is the highest it has been for years. My broker said that late last week for a short period they could buy for me at 50.50 for a short time as well.

I would like to think that if Syria occurs re the US, that the UK continues to surge, the US starts to recover and as such QE remain at the for front of minds and that the Thaksin issue continues to haunt - amongst other factors - that we will either bounce of 55 of go through it to 60. I cannot see that 60 will be breached again.

However look how quickly that the baht fell from 65 to 50 when QE was introduced in late 2008. It was a dramatic decline and was in direct line with the start of QE.

I have only ever posted a single bank forex link and that, SCB, in order to normalise quotes amongst posters - I don't use them and I don't necessarily recommend them, they are a focal point for us all to be able to speak the same language as to what the ex. rate is at any point in time.

And yes, Superrich is very good, but most expat posters/viewers who want a years worth of funds transfered and converted into THB, don't find it an attractive propostion to wander around the streets of Bangkok carrying GBP 20k in their bag and I can't blame them really..

• Like 1