Your Verdict Please

Beng

Greasy and slimy, no points

Go to The Dukes, really good pizza and everything that MD's isn't.

For once we agree 100%. :P

Edit: Mad Dog do an excellent muesli, fruit and yoghurt for breakfast.

Oh and if you are the Eurozone fatboy telling someone to stop smoking at the front of the bar and were told to go swivel....it was me. :lol:

Edited by smokie36

There is no pleasing some people and the gang here prefers to be negative about everything. The American style breakfast at Mad Dog is excellent and good value. Pizza seems to be a topic that always comes up and everyone has a different opinion. Why always be negative? I don't smoke, but there are enough people that do and they should have some place where they can do it. The patrons don't smoke inside the Mad Dog cafe.

Hamburger Mike helped Mad Dog improve their pizza fairly recently and IMO it is not the best in town, but better than many. I go there if I want American style pizza and am too lazy to go to the Duke's.

I am all for banning smoking in restaurants, but Mad Dog is more of a bar, so I try to be tolerant (although it makes eating there much less enjoyable).

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

I am no fan of Mad Dogs - an unfriendly bar - but occasionally I buy a pizza from there and it is OK. I have even noticed a slight improvement recently. I order the pizza and wait for it at a bar a couple of doors down the road.

There is no pleasing some people and the gang here prefers to be negative about everything. The American style breakfast at Mad Dog is excellent and good value. Pizza seems to be a topic that always comes up and everyone has a different opinion. Why always be negative? I don't smoke, but there are enough people that do and they should have some place where they can do it. The patrons don't smoke inside the Mad Dog cafe.

The longer you stay here, the less you will like MD.

Every item served with a scowl and a bucketful of grease, the boss must be the grumpiest guy in CM.

Good value? One of the most expensive places to eat greasy spoon food in town.

Rene, you need to get out of the English speaking pub scene a bit more and explore the many nicer but less accessible places in town.

But if you really can't change you eating habits ....

Try SausageKing, all the greasy breakfast options they do cheaper, better and with less grease.

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 1

Every item served with a scowl and a bucketful of grease, the boss must be the grumpiest guy in CM.

Rene, you need to get out of the English speaking pub scene a bit more and explore the many nicer but less accessible places in town.

Try SausageKing, all the greasy breakfast options they do cheaper, better and with less grease.

I eat Thai food 90% of the time. I just didn't think MD was as bad as some here say. I found the owner to be quite pleasant. The girls might not smile that much, but they are always busy every time I see them. I even tried their pizza once and found it adequate. I seldom eat pizza in Thailand because the price of good cheese is WAY too much. If I'm only paying 150 baht or less for breakfast or a farang meal I don't quibble too much. But, if I was paying 600 baht or more then what ever it is I'm eating better be VERY good.

I found the owner to be quite pleasant.

Must be a new owner.

I eat Thai food 90% of the time. I just didn't think MD was as bad as some here say. I found the owner to be quite pleasant. The girls might not smile that much, but they are always busy every time I see them. I even tried their pizza once and found it adequate. I seldom eat pizza in Thailand because the price of good cheese is WAY too much. If I'm only paying 150 baht or less for breakfast or a farang meal I don't quibble too much. But, if I was paying 600 baht or more then what ever it is I'm eating better be VERY good.

Try the Sausage King full breakfast for 99bht (including tea or coffee) then tell us how MD compares, an excuse for a little ride on your D-tracker, it's near Mee Ruam intersection on the MaeJo road (Near Laguna Homes).

Try a medium Pizza at the Dukes, about 300bht (take a friend, plenty for two), then let us hear what you think of the MD pizza.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

I eat Thai food 90% of the time. I just didn't think MD was as bad as some here say. I found the owner to be quite pleasant.

I agree; he is very pleasant.

The girls might not smile that much, but they are always busy every time I see them.

Yes, and crucially they have to put up with some drunken Farang behavior regularly, so they initially may keep their distance a bit. Also most have worked there for a very long time indeed, so Nick is doing something right in keeping competent, hard working staff in a very challenging line of work.

And they do smile.

5642593396_26634b81f0_z.jpg

( Picture is not mine, it's from their own public website; source: http://www.maddogchiangmai.com )

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I think it's fine, and the price is right.

Also okay: Mayflower on Loy Kroh, and Dukes.

Dukes has a size advantage, but I consider them all pretty similar.

Some Italian restaurants do a much better job, but then it's not fast food / takeaway anymore.

Hmmm....have to disagree.

Dukes serves excellent pizza while Mad Dog serves up an average one.

I wouldn't eat the Mad Dog version again.

• Like 2

Try the Sausage King full breakfast for 99bht (including tea or coffee) then tell us how MD compares, an excuse for a little ride on your D-tracker, it's near Mee Ruam intersection on the MaeJo road (Near Laguna Homes).

Try a medium Pizza at the Dukes, about 300bht (take a friend, plenty for two), then let us hear what you think of the MD pizza.

I'll try those on your recommendation, Tommo. Like I said, I usually just eat a Thai meal that fills me and only costs 35 baht.

For a topic that asked for members rating on MD pizza, in only 25 posts the owner, the staff, second hand smoke, grease, unfriendly patrons, have been mentioned. And my daughters call me an old grouch.

Pizza being one of my least favorite dishes in Thailand, I would give it a 3, but then I have not found a pizza that I would score above 4 in this town, just due to how skimpy they all seem to be on toppings and quality of same.

Mad Dog does seem to be doing something right, if you include 'length of time for the location, owner, and staff, food offered, and price'. It is a smoke free estiblishment, for the past several weeks, but then some who complained probably have not been there in several months. It does appear to be a thriving concern if number of patrons is any indicator,

• Like 1

Here:

http://goo.gl/maps/tDN8F

https://www.facebook.com/TeYtiMsa

Note that I like it because the quality you get for the affordable price is quite good. But for the best Dim Sum in Chiang Mai you'd need to go to Fujian (Oriental Hotel). In between those two, price-wise is the dim sum shop at 89 Plaza.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai