Things To Do With The Kids This Weekend

OldeBellPedr

Great post! Could also mention 'Nick's place' with the bamboo pirate ship climbing contraption. It's in the same general area between the Hang Dong road and the Canal road, but on the Ratchapruek Road.

Also.. new go-kart track there, which looks like it's just about opening up.

• Like 1

Great post! Could also mention 'Nick's place' with the bamboo pirate ship climbing contraption. It's in the same general area between the Hang Dong road and the Canal road, but on the Ratchapruek Road.

i took my son to 'nicks place' i'm no prude, but i thought it was quite dangerous for my 5 year old - protruding nails and bits hanging off. The food was nice though. I've seen the go-karting track and its up and running now. I may take the son and heir there.

Most of the other replies seem to come from rather tired parents with older children. At the moment my son, at 5 1/4 is very much in the awe and wonder stage. Long may it so continue. (oh and we've done the zoo, Night Safari and most of the animal shows on the Samoeng rd. Hot Springs San Kamphaeng and all the shopping centres). I was merely trying to propose a slightly different morning for parents with YOUNG kids - obviously not teenagers.

i took my son to 'nicks place' i'm no prude, but i thought it was quite dangerous for my 5 year old - protruding nails and bits hanging off. The food was nice though. I've seen the go-karting track and its up and running now. I may take the son and heir there.

Yeah; I guess my safety expectations were lower to begin with, so I found it actually better than I expected.

Another fun place for smaller kids: http://www.smallfarm-chiangmai.com/

A small flock of sheep, 2 restaurants to choose from, a barn and a fake windmill. If that's a 'great morning out for the kids' then they need to be let out of their cages more often. Seriously though, whilst I applaud your effort to introduce people to something new, the fight to keep (presumably small) kids entertained in Chiang Mai - especially in the longer term - is a losing proposition.

While I think we're all aware of the stereotypical Thaivisa poster, I don't think there is a requirement to reconfirm it in every single topic. Your diligence is well noted, however.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

To Johpa and WinnieTheKwai:

Have either of you ever been responsible for keeping a kid of between 3-7 years old entertained in Chiang Mai over a period of a few years?

The suggestion that temples, malls and walking street would entertain such youngsters just shows how little you understand kids of that age. Things like the zoo, rafting and the monkey/snake farms etc are indeed of interest to them but how many times do you think a kid of that age would want to go in a year?

Stick to recommending your favorite restaurants and waterholes. I wouldn't call you out on those, but leave that which you know less about to those actually involved in the subject matter.

Chiang Mai has plenty of things going for it, but giving youngsters a varied range of activities over a period of months and years isn't one of them.

And as for Johpa's attempt at a 'you're not assimilated enough' put-down, my kid has spent plenty of time with Thai relatives (although I don't know if their village is traditional enough for him - it's not a gated community, if that helps), it's like when you went to visit your grandparents when you were 6, if you can remember that far back.

To Johpa and WinnieTheKwai:

Have either of you ever been responsible for keeping a kid of between 3-7 years old entertained in Chiang Mai over a period of a few years?

Two of them, as we speak.

Chiang Mai has plenty of things going for it, but giving youngsters a varied range of activities over a period of months and years isn't one of them.

Name a Thai town that is better.

In addition to all the fun stuff and nature that's a short drive from town, there are also plenty opportunities for things like ballet (Russian Ballet School), dance (HUG Academy), Gymnastics (Old Stadium), Music lessons (everywhere), swimming (everywhere). Then there are movies, malls and all the tourist stuff, animal centered attractions including petting zoos, etc. Most importantly though kids entertain themselves; when you're 3 yeas old, everything around you is amazing. And all of that is in addition to family stuff at home of course, like board games, baking cookies, art, music, etc. And notably it gets BETTER every day, with more stuff being organized, or places opening up.

( My home town has better museums. The end. ;) )

• Like 1

At the moment my son is entertaining himself as he's just learned to ride his bike without stabilisers, which he is very proud off and spends his time hurtling around the moo baan showing off!! It won't be long until the novelty wears off an them we'll be on the lookout for more interesting and fun things to do! Especially with the long summer holidays looming!!

• Like 1

At the moment my son is entertaining himself as he's just learned to ride his bike without stabilisers, which he is very proud off and spends his time hurtling around the moo baan showing off!! It won't be long until the novelty wears off an them we'll be on the lookout for more interesting and fun things to do! Especially with the long summer holidays looming!!

Bikes open up a new range of interesting things for kids. Emergency departments with skinned knees broken bones. A nice start for Nurse watching....

Seriously there are lots of things in Chiangmai for kids or there were when mine was here when she was 6. I am sure there are lots more now as that was over 30 years ago.

Keep pointing out the places as it helps everyone.

Edited by harrry

It's also what you make of it. Took my kids to the construction site of one of the new malls, to look at big cranes, trucks, loaders and excavators. Spent the better part of an hour there and had to drag the youngest one away from it. wink.png Kind of enjoyed it too, as we pondered if the big crane operator would come down for lunch and climb all the way down, or just stay up there. "But.. what if he has to go to the bathroom..?" etc, etc.

In general people don't seem to mind this sort of recreation. Get the impression they even appreciate showing an interest; truck drivers were waving and smiling, etc. You can do the same at fire stations, looking at the fire trucks, etc.

Or you can do that short boat trip up and down the Ping river, which is pretty mundane for adults but kids like it. And don't knock the temples, many have interesting things to see, bells to ring, gongs to bang. And some of them are actually the closest thing to 'a nice park', eg. Wat Umong where you can also feed the fish, try to spot the turtles, explore the eerie tunnel building. And don't forget the excellent hotels we have, my oldest (girl) really (REALLY) enjoyed the 'high tea' at the chedi, doing everything all princessy. Or the Oriental Hotel, you can explore the grounds easily there. (Also took the horse carriage around when they had them, that actually was highly interesting also for adults.) I don't think they still run the horse carts, but you can do that of course at Wiang Khum Kam, another thing that's fun for kids to be in the horse carriage and also for adults to see the historical sites. And then there are the parks, could be as small as the small area behind Wawi coffee on Ratchadamnoen (where there's a nice Vietnamese place), where the kids can run around for a bit. And proper parks of course like the Royal Flora (there's quite a bit on the outside so you don't have to pay), or for a really nice and big park there's the Taveechol Botanical Gardens on the Doi Saket road. Or Queen Sirikit of course. And several resorts on the Mae Sa loop. Then you can say many things about the Night Safari, but kids really dig the place. Also the cheap loop around the lake, or even all the free stuff outside, where you can see deer up close, feed the giraffes (try that!), elephants and watch white tigers. Speaking of tigers, the Tiger Kingdom again you can have some qualms about, but again it's really fun for kids. And did I mention the airport.. Bring an umbrella, but from the foot bridge near the runway you have a great view of planes landing and taking off (I pick a time when there are a lot of arrivals in short succession). Then we often go to Chiang Mai University, at the Ang Kaew lake which is a great place to sit on the lawn, look at the lake and eat chicken and sticky rice. And just a short drive up to Doi Suthep you have some streams and small waterfalls that are free, and a jungle trail that's really easy to walk but pretty adventurous for kids.. then in the end you get to Pha Ngoeb, the rocky cliff overhang (pretend they've 'discovered' it. wink.png ) And the train! Take one of the cheapo trains to Lampang, which goes through some spectacular hills and forests, really an experience even for adults. And it costs next to nothing (several trains are free for Thai people actually). And then more horse carts in Lampang. Then Huay Tueng Thao of course (another excellent 'park-like' area) and you can swim of course. On the way there are a couple places where they have horses, and kids can also learn to ride horses and ponies. But just going in to take a look is fun. I could probably go on all day just writing this stuff down, but it's time to go enjoy Chiang Mai. With the kids. thumbsup.gif

Thanks for taking the time to write this. We've done about half the stuff you mention. Several times. There are a couple of things in your post though - further out of town - that are novel and may be good for a weekend or two and for that I am grateful to you.

I suppose the number of events/activities in a town are directly proportional to its size. Chiang Mai isn't that big and we will indeed be moving out soon but again I get the sense that some people are overly sensitive to any criticism of the town even if it is tempered by an admission that it is actually great in other ways.

By the way, where are those horses that children can ride on the way to Huay Tung Taow?

Edited by 15Peter20

They're regular horse corrals, not specifically for kids and more for serious riding. More typical pony rides are at the zoo, the Night Safari, petting zoos like Little Farm and I believe also at Taveechol Gardens (Horizon Resort). Horse carriages are probably best at Wiang Khum Kam, or in Lampang of course.

Well I've just conducted a vote among the family on 1) Ratchapruek (again) 2) Mae Sa Valley (again) 3) Bowling (again).

This being Thailand, my wife tried to sabotage the vote but I managed to uphold the spirit of Democracy and Mae Sa it is. Will report back upon our return, if anyone is even the remotest bit interested.

• Like 1

It's also what you make of it. Took my kids to the construction site of one of the new malls, to look at big cranes, trucks, loaders and excavators. Spent the better part of an hour there and had to drag the youngest one away from it. ;) Kind of enjoyed it too, as we pondered if the big crane operator would come down for lunch and climb all the way down, or just stay up there. "But.. what if he has to go to the bathroom..?" etc, etc.

In general people don't seem to mind this sort of recreation. Get the impression they even appreciate showing an interest; truck drivers were waving and smiling, etc. You can do the same at fire stations, looking at the fire trucks, etc.

Or you can do that short boat trip up and down the Ping river, which is pretty mundane for adults but kids like it. And don't knock the temples, many have interesting things to see, bells to ring, gongs to bang. And some of them are actually the closest thing to 'a nice park', eg. Wat Umong where you can also feed the fish, try to spot the turtles, explore the eerie tunnel building. And don't forget the excellent hotels we have, my oldest (girl) really (REALLY) enjoyed the 'high tea' at the chedi, doing everything all princessy. Or the Oriental Hotel, you can explore the grounds easily there. (Also took the horse carriage around when they had them, that actually was highly interesting also for adults.) I don't think they still run the horse carts, but you can do that of course at Wiang Khum Kam, another thing that's fun for kids to be in the horse carriage and also for adults to see the historical sites. And then there are the parks, could be as small as the small area behind Wawi coffee on Ratchadamnoen (where there's a nice Vietnamese place), where the kids can run around for a bit. And proper parks of course like the Royal Flora (there's quite a bit on the outside so you don't have to pay), or for a really nice and big park there's the Taveechol Botanical Gardens on the Doi Saket road. Or Queen Sirikit of course. And several resorts on the Mae Sa loop. Then you can say many things about the Night Safari, but kids really dig the place. Also the cheap loop around the lake, or even all the free stuff outside, where you can see deer up close, feed the giraffes (try that!), elephants and watch white tigers. Speaking of tigers, the Tiger Kingdom again you can have some qualms about, but again it's really fun for kids. And did I mention the airport.. Bring an umbrella, but from the foot bridge near the runway you have a great view of planes landing and taking off (I pick a time when there are a lot of arrivals in short succession). Then we often go to Chiang Mai University, at the Ang Kaew lake which is a great place to sit on the lawn, look at the lake and eat chicken and sticky rice. And just a short drive up to Doi Suthep you have some streams and small waterfalls that are free, and a jungle trail that's really easy to walk but pretty adventurous for kids.. then in the end you get to Pha Ngoeb, the rocky cliff overhang (pretend they've 'discovered' it. ;) ) And the train! Take one of the cheapo trains to Lampang, which goes through some spectacular hills and forests, really an experience even for adults. And it costs next to nothing (several trains are free for Thai people actually). And then more horse carts in Lampang. Then Huay Tueng Thao of course (another excellent 'park-like' area) and you can swim of course. On the way there are a couple places where they have horses, and kids can also learn to ride horses and ponies. But just going in to take a look is fun. I could probably go on all day just writing this stuff down, but it's time to go enjoy Chiang Mai. With the kids. :thumbsup:

There are few things I respect and admire more than an engaged, plugged-in dad.

If you have a daughter, then you already know how important horses are. As you drive towards town on Doi Saket rd (Hwy 118), about 10 Km before San Dek intersection, there was (and probably still is) a horse riding school at the entrance of a housing estate.

In KSK, on the floor just below the cinemas, was a place called Channel kids where our kids went for play, to socialize and learn various handicrafts, art, etc. behind Tops supermarket, next to what used to be Novotel (it's been renamed) is a traditional Thai dance school. If your daughter likes high tea (and what princess doesn't?), The Nakara Ping hotel, just a minute's drive straight down from the Chedi has a garden bistro with a view of the Ping and some of the finest French pastries you'll find anywhere. Just a little further down is a major school district with lots of schools, and lots of little places that provide various after school activities, you might find something for your kids;, mine are too big and in their nonchalant phase, so I haven't investigated.

T

Edited by Thakkar
  • Like 1

The suggestion that temples, malls and walking street would entertain such youngsters just shows how little you understand kids of that age. Things like the zoo, rafting and the monkey/snake farms etc are indeed of interest to them but how many times do you think a kid of that age would want to go in a year?

Why yes I have. Mostly the kids entertained themselves with the neighborhood kids (my son never tired of catching frogs in the padi) and all these excursions were special travel events. They never really got bored with these tourist attractions and we might even go to the same place two or three times in one year if we had visitors. Kids of that age can watch the same thing endlessly if it entertains them. They can watch the same Disney video once a week over the course of a year. So what you are really talking about is the ennui that us adults experience when visiting the same place again and after we know the punchline. Sure, I got bored with the snake farm, but not the kids. And my kids, to my surprise, never got bored with the cabaret show in the night market next to the Muay Thai ring. The bottom line is that it is easy to keep young kids entertained and Chiang Mai has far more entertainment venues that can appeal to children than most major cities around the globe. You can't go anywhere in North America like the Huay Tung Tao reservoir and order up kung taen. Kids love that type of experience. The real secret is to always take one of the kids friends along so that they have someone to share their joy with instead of trying to keep bored dad happy.

• Like 1

It's also what you make of it. Took my kids to the construction site of one of the new malls, to look at big cranes, trucks, loaders and excavators. Spent the better part of an hour there and had to drag the youngest one away from it. wink.png Kind of enjoyed it too, as we pondered if the big crane operator would come down for lunch and climb all the way down, or just stay up there. "But.. what if he has to go to the bathroom..?" etc, etc.

Or you can do that short boat trip up and down the Ping river, which is pretty mundane for adults but kids like it. And don't knock the temples, many have interesting things to see, bells to ring, gongs to bang. And some of them are actually the closest thing to 'a nice park', eg. Wat Umong where you can also feed the fish, try to spot the turtles, explore the eerie tunnel building. And don't forget the excellent hotels we have, my oldest (girl) really (REALLY) enjoyed the 'high tea' at the chedi, doing everything all princessy. Or the Oriental Hotel, you can explore the grounds easily there. (Also took the horse carriage around when they had them, that actually was highly interesting also for adults.) I don't think they still run the horse carts, but you can do that of course at Wiang Khum Kam, another thing that's fun for kids to be in the horse carriage and also for adults to see the historical sites. And then there are the parks, could be as small as the small area behind Wawi coffee on Ratchadamnoen (where there's a nice Vietnamese place), where the kids can run around for a bit. And proper parks of course like the Royal Flora (there's quite a bit on the outside so you don't have to pay), or for a really nice and big park there's the Taveechol Botanical Gardens on the Doi Saket road. Or Queen Sirikit of course. And several resorts on the Mae Sa loop. Then you can say many things about the Night Safari, but kids really dig the place. Also the cheap loop around the lake, or even all the free stuff outside, where you can see deer up close, feed the giraffes (try that!), elephants and watch white tigers. Speaking of tigers, the Tiger Kingdom again you can have some qualms about, but again it's really fun for kids. And did I mention the airport.. Bring an umbrella, but from the foot bridge near the runway you have a great view of planes landing and taking off (I pick a time when there are a lot of arrivals in short succession). Then we often go to Chiang Mai University, at the Ang Kaew lake which is a great place to sit on the lawn, look at the lake and eat chicken and sticky rice. And just a short drive up to Doi Suthep you have some streams and small waterfalls that are free, and a jungle trail that's really easy to walk but pretty adventurous for kids.. then in the end you get to Pha Ngoeb, the rocky cliff overhang (pretend they've 'discovered' it. wink.png ) And the train! Take one of the cheapo trains to Lampang, which goes through some spectacular hills and forests, really an experience even for adults. And it costs next to nothing (several trains are free for Thai people actually). And then more horse carts in Lampang. Then Huay Tueng Thao of course (another excellent 'park-like' area) and you can swim of course. On the way there are a couple places where they have horses, and kids can also learn to ride horses and ponies. But just going in to take a look is fun. I could probably go on all day just writing this stuff down, but it's time to go enjoy Chiang Mai. With the kids. thumbsup.gif

Hey, you go to all the same places we do. wink.png

And of course the fun zone on the 3rd? Floor at KSK. All kids like that.

Seriously, there is so much to do.

Bikes open up a new range of interesting things for kids. Emergency departments with skinned knees broken bones. A nice start for Nurse watching....

Seriously there are lots of things in Chiangmai for kids or there were when mine was here when she was 6. I am sure there are lots more now as that was over 30 years ago.

with your comment I guess your joking. I have been riding my bike w/my boys 8 & 9 for a few yrs., first teaching them how to use brakes in the garden and then saftey on a small soi but we take them with on day trips to the "jungle" for some off-road. It's all takes effort which is what most of these activites involve but well worth it. We never seem to get through our list of "Sunday Family Day Outings" as we often hear of new things to do, thanks for contributing.

with your comment I guess your joking. I have been riding my bike w/my boys 8 & 9 for a few yrs., first teaching them how to use brakes in the garden and then saftey on a small soi but we take them with on day trips to the "jungle" for some off-road. It's all takes effort which is what most of these activites involve but well worth it. We never seem to get through our list of "Sunday Family Day Outings" as we often hear of new things to do, thanks for contributing.

Yes I was joking about the bikes...though I admit my daughter had two trips to hospital with bike falls...minor but had to be checked.

My main point was things are all around us for kids. If you let them mix with other kids there is no room for boredom. Strangely when my daughter was about 5 I used to tell her the story of how rice grew when we walked along the road next in from the PunPun. She kept making me tell it over and over. When we returned here when she was 10 she saw rice field and made me tell it again..:)

Maybe a different time but kids do not change.

Making entertainment for kids is not worth the trouble. Finding it outside is.

• Like 1

Went to Tiger kingdom in Mae Sa. 420 baht to get in a cage with the bigger tigers and stroke/take pictures with them., 620 baht or so to do the same with the smaller cubs. 150 Baht to go in a large perspex bubble on a small lake/pond within the grounds for about 10 mins.

Then 2 snake farms - the nearest one to the beginning of the road that you turn into off the main road from CM, on the right, seemed to be better than the one another km or two down on the left. Entrance to one on the right was 100 Baht per person (although this was not far from closing time so they may have lowered it for us - when I asked the woman at the desk how much, she paused for quite a while before coming out with a figure of 400 for 4 of us) and they've got a pretty good collection of birds and small animals as well as the snakes. the one further down had not much more than the area for the snake show. At 200 Baht to get in I felt pretty ripped off there. The shows at both places were enjoyable but almost identical. No need to visit both unless you have a snake-obsessed young child with you.

Edited by 15Peter20
  • Like 1

If they liked the snakes then next time take them to the Mae Saap bat cave just west of Samoeng. Bring you own flashlight (torch for you Brits) The wife might not talk to you for awhile so follow that stop off with a trip to the Pong Khwao hot springs to the north of Samoeng. There is now a fully paved road, a few pot holes but very scenic, from Mae Saap northwards that can take you to Na Faan and the hot springs. With the kids, a copy of the Gt-Rider Samoeng Loop road map is a good investment for all those day trips. You can find copies around town and at the X-Center.

• Like 1

Most of the other replies seem to come from rather tired parents with older children. At the moment my son, at 5 1/4 is very much in the awe and wonder stage. Long may it so continue. (oh and we've done the zoo, Night Safari and most of the animal shows on the Samoeng rd. Hot Springs San Kamphaeng and all the shopping centres). I was merely trying to propose a slightly different morning for parents with YOUNG kids - obviously not teenagers.

Can you please rell me where the go kart track is? Anyone know the prices? I checked out XCentre and they wanted 800 baht for 20 minutes on the track - too rich for me.

Can you please tell me where the go kart track is? Anyone know the prices? I checked out XCentre and they wanted 800 baht for 20 minutes on the track - too rich for me.

More info here: https://www.facebook...angmaiSpeedkart

http://www.chiangmaispeedkart.com/

Cheaper than what you mention, but still spendy. (Kind of weird, compared to just renting a Honda Civic from North Wheels and having the whole town to play with; you'd think renting a souped up lawnmower would be cheaper, but it isn't.)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Can you please tell me where the go kart track is? Anyone know the prices? I checked out XCentre and they wanted 800 baht for 20 minutes on the track - too rich for me.

More info here: https://www.facebook...angmaiSpeedkart

http://www.chiangmaispeedkart.com/

Cheaper than what you mention, but still spendy. (Kind of weird, compared to just renting a Honda Civic from North Wheels and having the whole town to play with; you'd think renting a souped up lawnmower would be cheaper, but it isn't.)

Thanks for the info. It is actually dearer if you take in consideration the time on the track. Afraid the young fella will have to be satisfied with a billy cart - should be fun down Doi Suthep.

Thanks for the info. It is actually dearer if you take in consideration the time on the track. Afraid the young fella will have to be satisfied with a billy cart - should be fun down Doi Suthep.

Just take him for a whizz around Makro in a shopping trolley thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

We went to check out the "Small Farm" yesterday...it's quite far as it's on the same road as going to Doi Inthanon,about 6km from the turn.

...it's not much of anything,but surprisingly kids(even the bigger ones) had a good time chasing sheep around the corral....the horse riding was fun and the all Western style scenery is great.I think,it would be fun to stay a night there....

...and the rest of the afternoon spend by the waterfall just 3km up the road....good day out...