Any Problems Bringing In Food?

theblether

I'll be flying in to BKK on 30 January with Emirates Business Class, just for a change I'll be heading in to BKK for a couple of days before heading North. I've got a 56kg baggage allowance and I'll probably only need about 15kg for my normal gear.

Obviously that leaves a lot of unused baggage allowance, so I was thinking about bringing in foodstuffs such as cheese as I keep reading people moaning about the prices. Obviously I'll disburse said cheeses and other sundries to needy TV members. You can consider it a late Christmas present, anyway, has anyone experienced any problems with Customs in regards to bringing in foodstuffs?

Edited by theblether

Stottie cake, peas pudding, Scotch pies, Berwick cockles, Edinburgh rock, oatcakes, deep fried Mars bars...

I'm not packing Berwick Cockles, <deleted> I'll reek my suitcase oot. blink.png

I was thinking that some nice cheeses would go down well though, maybe a mature Lockerbie, or a Strathdon Blue ( fabulous ). Hmmm, I'll have a wee think about it and bring some over.

Oh, oh.........black pudding. I'll bring some black pudding, that'll entertain the Customs staff when they see that. giggle.gif

Edited by theblether

40kgs of Atlantic salmon could be a nice little earner mate.

I've had two of the best salmon dishes of my life this week........a thick cut salmon fillet done on a tandoori oven which was just superb on Tuesday, and last night a fillet served with creamy mashed potatoes, baby beetroot and creme friache. Just superb.

• Like 2

Good question.

Once i successfully brought a seasoned 1/2 kilo gourmet milano salami containing garlics and peppers in order Thailand to share this culinary experience with my Thai friends. I never thought i would be allowed to 'export' this. After my backpack was X-rayed the customs officer looked at me trying to hide his laugh and asked: "Is this really a salami in there?". I looked him in the eyes and whit out hesitation i said "Yes". cool.png

Customs officer couldn't hide his laugh anymore and i quote him: "You are clear to go".biggrin.png

Reckon it depends on the situation and the particular officer's mood.smile.png

Stottie cake, peas pudding, Scotch pies, Berwick cockles, Edinburgh rock, oatcakes, deep fried Mars bars...

I'm not packing Berwick Cockles, <deleted> I'll reek my suitcase oot. blink.png

I was thinking that some nice cheeses would go down well though, maybe a mature Lockerbie, or a Strathdon Blue ( fabulous ). Hmmm, I'll have a wee think about it and bring some over.

Oh, oh.........black pudding. I'll bring some black pudding, that'll entertain the Customs staff when they see that. giggle.gif

Just remember the sory of the haggis wearing headphones, or they will freak more than you can imagine....unsure.png

I've had two of the best salmon dishes of my life this week........a thick cut salmon fillet done on a tandoori oven which was just superb on Tuesday, and last night a fillet served with creamy mashed potatoes, baby beetroot and creme friache. Just superb.

Lovely mate. Fish done in a tondoor is something else.

Makes my mouth water. Sounds delic.

The fish monger round the corner from the Scotia Bar vacuum packs for a small fee . I brought 10kg of smoked haddocks over to HK one time . You could try that with a salmon , well packed with dry ice in bags , just make sure the dry ice doesnt actually touch the body of the fish . Salmon tends to go all sticky and oily but it cleans up ok . A succesful smuggle would all be down to timing . You could fire down the mart in the basement at SV and buy some ice when you get to BK , that would get you to your hotel or drop off location . Black pudding ?

Easy-Peasy cool.png

Twice a year - for more than a decade - I bring, from my eurotrips, a suitcase full of goodies plus a cabin bag containing more fragile items (ie: soft cheese, foie gras, pralines,... ) and I never encountered any trouble if/when they opened them.

Opposite, only smiles and questions like: Where are your clothes? Don't you like Thai food?

• Like 1

I brought food stuffs into Thailand regularly when I was working in Macau . I would bring the odd lego pirate ship, tins of tomatoes , cans of olives ,olive oil , chorizos , cheese and large volumes of wine in the cartons. I was looked at occasionaly . I came through one time with loads of wine , well over the permited volume . The customs officer pulled me over after the xray . He was delighted and asked if I knew why I was being searched . I was going to say " to much wine ?" , but he saved me by pulling out a box of liquers in little chocolate bottles and held one of the little chocolate bottles up for inspection and declared , "drugs !" . I explained to the officer it was an alcoholic chocolate for my dear old mother up country . He was disapointed but let me through . I am not sure if he clicked on about the wine in the cartons.

On a trip out I had to take a huge bundle of homemade issan sausages for my sister in law in HK . My partner made them . I prepared them for the journey by placing them in freezer bags , placing that bundle in double tesco bags , gaffa taping that bundle up ,then placing in a plastic screw top cookie jar , placing that in a plastic tesco bag and gaffa taping that up and then packing in my wheely suitcase cusioned with my clothes . I took the overnight bus down to Mochit form Det Udom and spent an afternoon in BK with an old pal . Later , I was on a bus from Victory Monument to the airport when it happened . The bus was very quiet , hardly any passengers . I was sitting there in my seat with my wheely suitcase on the floor at the luggage bit . There was a wee woman sitting opposite me and she was obviously distressed and looking at me . And then I smelt it . I turned round to look at my bag and I saw a little puddle of blood forming on the floor where it lay . It was the sausages , but I think the wee woman believed she was on the bus with a crazed murderer with a chopped up body in his wheely suitcase . My denim jacket stank for weeks but I was the hero of the Issan ladies in Kennedy Town .

• Like 2