How Well Do You Know The Thai National Anthem? Compared To Your Native Anthem?

submaniac

I can sing my own country's national anthem - "flower of Scotland" usually with a tear in my eye..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJ5fLBEpKo8

OK, the Scotts win. That is actually a beautiful national anthem. Never heard it before, but it is really lovely.

For once I agree with JT, why would you want to sing the Thai Anthem, if you have to because you want residency/citizenship then that's your call. For those of us who don't want to be Thai I see no point at all.

Well, as has been pointed out, it does have a certain cache as a party trick. Seriously if you're at a party with a bunch of Thai girls and can sing the Thai national anthem....

I recognize it but can not sing it...nor do I want to learn.

I know the National Anthem of my homecountry and I don't like it much either.

In general, I don't see much good coming from patriotism, because it mostly gets interpreted in a manner that gives me a headache.

Nationalistic pride is just ridiculous.

What is ridiculous about National pride? What country do you come from?

Germany....and that has what to do... with...anything?

Edited by DocN

If you can sing it ...and don't understand it's meaning ...it's more like karaoke ..and possibly viewed as slightly disrepectful by some .

if you do understand it's meaning ,you probably won't want to sing it,as, like many things ,it's not applicable to Falang . Respect it but don't embrace it as your own .

Thai rak Thai.

• Like 2

In general, I don't see much good coming from patriotism, because it mostly gets interpreted in a manner that gives me a headache.

Everything.

If you can sing it ...and don't understand it's meaning ...it's more like karaoke ..and possibly viewed as slightly disrepectful by some .

if you do understand it's meaning ,you probably won't want to sing it,as, like many things ,it's not applicable to Falang . Respect it but don't embrace it as your own .

Thai rak Thai.

In my experience, it's a great party piece. Almost as good at pulling the chicks as chanting Pali prayers. It tells the girl that you're not some *expat with no interest in integrating into the society.

BTW, schoolkids have their own version of the song that even the teachers know about and it not really frowned upon - just as a schoolkid, we had our own words for the British national anthem.

Edited by Neeranam

Everything.

Aha....I guess we all needed your comment then...really! coffee1.gif

I can sing my own country's national anthem - "flower of Scotland" usually with a tear in my eye..

It's a dismal dirge of a lament, surpassed (underpassed? subpassed?) only by God Save the Queen. It's a completely useless tune which serves only to demotivate and sadden our athletes in any competition bar the Calcutta Cup, and I wouldn't change it for a minute.

SC

EDIT: I do feel jealous of the French and the Italians and the Argentinians, though.

It's a dismal dirge of a lament, surpassed (underpassed? subpassed?) only by God Save the Queen. It's a completely useless tune which serves only to demotivate and sadden our athletes in any competition bar the Calcutta Cup, and I wouldn't change it for a minute.

SC

EDIT: I do feel jealous of the French and the Italians and the Argentinians, though.

Surely its just a national (ist) song and the National Anthem for Scotland as a part of The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is God Save The Queen.

Unless Salmond inadvertently gives over 50% of England what they would love.....

I am not immune to the charms of some national anthems. The thing is, I don't see them or the countries they represent as all the same. I do see Thailand as a xenophobic country so I find the idea of a foreigner singing it just incongruous. Nothing like Canada, and I love the Canadian anthem as a song. The Thai anthem, I like the song, as well, but I wouldn't want to associate myself with actually singing it:

No I can't sing my own American national anthem but I have faked it along with the crowd at sports events. It's an unfortunate song choice really.

Edited by Jingthing

Thai rak Thai.

In my experience, it's a great party piece. Almost as good at pulling the chicks as chanting Pali prayers. It tells the girl that you're not some *expat with no interest in integrating into the society.

BTW, schoolkids have their own version of the song that even the teachers know about and it not really frowned upon - just as a schoolkid, we had our own words for the British national anthem.

I know what you mean , I have a good mate who likes to think he impresses the girls with renditions of popular thai songs . If you stood on one leg on a chair and saluted whilst singing the national anthem ,you might have even more success a chick magnet.....but it hardly represents an interest in integrating into the society ...on any meaningful level ,at least .
  • Like 1

Early on in my learning Thai (after many failed attempts), I remember thinking to myself, of all the expats I know, I don't know any who can recite the Thai alphabet. Then later, oateIk,Idkawc read even the simplest of words. And then later, oateIk, I only know a few who would be comfortable in a bank/government office/store trying to converse in Thai. I wasn't out to best anyone, but I do get a warm fuzzy every time I read or hear of an expat who has to drag his long haired translator wherever he goes.

• Like 1

Early on in my learning Thai (after many failed attempts), I remember thinking to myself, of all the expats I know, I don't know any who can recite the Thai alphabet. Then later, oateIk,Idkawc read even the simplest of words. And then later, oateIk, I only know a few who would be comfortable in a bank/government office/store trying to converse in Thai. I wasn't out to best anyone, but I do get a warm fuzzy every time I read or hear of an expat who has to drag his long haired translator wherever he goes.

And that just tells us so much about you.....

SC

Surely its just a national (ist) song and the National Anthem for Scotland as a part of The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is God Save The Queen.

Unless Salmond inadvertently gives over 50% of England what they would love.....

It's been a while since I lived there but I remember that they played this song at international events(even against England with members of the royal family present) which would suggest it is more than a national song.

Sadly, I have to listen to it every day. Then I start my English lessons and have them look up words like brainwashing, slavery, elite, rote and mix them up with pronouns. For example: She is brainwashing her son. They are brainwashing you. I will be brainwashing them. I was brainwashed, yesterday.

After a while, they do not get it, and the classroom is back to normal. coffee1.gif

...It's been a while since I lived there but I remember that they played this song at international events(even against England with members of the royal family present) which would suggest it is more than a national song.

It was adopted by the sporting bodies to give us a distinctive song for home internationals - specifically, the Calcutta Cup. I don't know how enthusiastically the Princess Royal joins in the singing, though. I hope she doesn't throw in a "Who's that?" in the middle.

SC