It Is This As Revolutionary As It Sounds

Asiantravel

Apart from the nice 50GB, how does it differ from Spideroak

Mega doesn't use any client software. It is all done in a web browser. All data are encrypted using 2048 bit encryption. After the Megaupload FUBAR, I seem to remember that they said they will only use servers/data centres outside teh US for Mega.

Apart from the nice 50GB, how does it differ from Spideroak

Mega doesn't use any client software. It is all done in a web browser. All data are encrypted using 2048 bit encryption. After the Megaupload FUBAR, I seem to remember that they said they will only use servers/data centres outside teh US for Mega.

How is it different to Dropbox or any of the other cloud drive services?

I am not technically enough to answer that except that if you look at the video of the interview with Kim, he seems to be the only one that was arrested and put in jail for developing this wheras I don't think the other sites were subject to such harassment so one would conclude he has something different that would merit such persecution by the authorities?

maybe he will be the next person to suffer a mysterious heart attack or something ?ph34r.png

Kim Dotcom starts new file-sharing site

"This is not some kind of finger to the US government or to Hollywood," he told Reuters on Saturday.

"Legally, there's just nothing there that could be used to shut us down. This site is just as legitimate and has the right to exist as Dropbox, Boxnet and other competitors."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21106584

But I read Mega has a backdoor whereby they can disable the encryption on a per-user basis.

Well, they coded the API, so it's quite possible that they do. I know I would.

Besides, all the cryptographic keys are stored on the site (at least as far as I know), so they have access to all the files anyway.

OOOOPS.... I will correct myself. The encryption key is based on your password, so if you lose it, you'll lose your data. And Mega doesn't store it anywhere...

So don't store your KeePass database with your Mega password on Mega cloud.

Kim Dotcom starts new file-sharing site

just watched the launch/press conference from 'Dotcom Mansion' in NZ.. very entertaining. This guy is taking on the big boys once again.

here's the full video..

...the mock invasion is hilarious (you'll know what i mean when you get to it..)

The difference between the former Megaupload (+ Filesonic, Fileserve etc) and cloud providers like Dropbox is that the former had developed a system that monetised the uploading of copyrighted material. That business model was dealt a heavy blow by the FBI raid on Mega's HK servers last January.

Personally I think that the US government is on thin ice with their case against Dotcom because there wasn't (& still isn't) a clear line drawn between what he did and what other cloud providers are doing. Also, why only bust Mega? What about the slew of similar businesses that were allowed to slink off quietly?

But for Dotcom to claim that his business wasn't built on piracy is disingenuous at best. Of course it was.

Exactly how his new venture is going to make lots of money without doing exactly what they were doing before (minus the encryption) remains to be seen.

The difference between the former Megaupload (+ Filesonic, Fileserve etc) and cloud providers like Dropbox is that the former had developed a system that monetised the uploading of copyrighted material. That business model was dealt a heavy blow by the FBI raid on Mega's HK servers last January.

Personally I think that the US government is on thin ice with their case against Dotcom because there wasn't (& still isn't) a clear line drawn between what he did and what other cloud providers are doing. Also, why only bust Mega? What about the slew of similar businesses that were allowed to slink off quietly?

But for Dotcom to claim that his business wasn't built on piracy is disingenuous at best. Of course it was.

Exactly how his new venture is going to make lots of money without doing exactly what they were doing before (minus the encryption) remains to be seen.

Are other cloud providers monetizing the uploading of copyrighted material? That might be where the line is.

Having signed up for Mega on the first day here are a few comments.

What I like about Mega

1. 50GB Free
  2. Encryption (allegedly poor and flawed) but it is a start.

What I do not like about Mega

1. Does not play well with Firefox (using Linux)
  2. Even using Chrome, I have to leave the browser open to upload / Download files (I will ignore the fact that this was very slow for the first few days) as this may have been due to openng demand
  3. If I have to shut down my broswer I have to restart the upload.
  4. The interface is very basic.

In summary It is a VERY basic cloud storage not a patch on DropBox, Wuala, SpiderOak etc etc.

The encryption is not really a great bonus for me as I use my own encryption if storing slightly sensitive data on the web, and do not store very sensitive data under any circumstances.

I will keep my account in the hope that it improves, but at the moment all it is used for is backing up some DropBox files as an expermient. They need to get a decent Interface (or app) and they also need to improve its features.

I wish them well with their adventure but apart from the generous amount of free space there is nothing else to make me want to use it.

Edited by thaimite

Having signed up for Mega on the first day here are a few comments.

What I like about Mega

1. 50GB Free
  2. Encryption (allegedly poor and flawed) but it is a start.

What I do not like about Mega

1. Does not play well with Firefox (using Linux)
  2. Even using Chrome, I have to leave the browser open to upload / Download files (I will ignore the fact that this was very slow for the first few days) as this may have been due to openng demand
  3. If I have to shut down my broswer I have to restart the upload.
  4. The interface is very basic.

In summary It is a VERY basic cloud storage not a patch on DropBox, Wuala, SpiderOak etc etc.

The encryption is not really a great bonus for me as I use my own encryption if storing slightly sensitive data on the web, and do not store very sensitive data under any circumstances.

I will keep my account in the hope that it improves, but at the moment all it is used for is backing up some DropBox files as an expermient. They need to get a decent Interface (or app) and they also need to improve its features.

I wish them well with their adventure but apart from the generous amount of free space there is nothing else to make me want to use it.

But based on what you have seen does it look like he has escaped the possibility of the authorities prosecuting him or trying to shut him down again?

Edited by Asiantravel

I thought the difference was that megaupload was allowing streaming direct from links. The new mega isn't offering this. Correct me if i'm wrong of course.

This is an interesting story, with interesting implications. It is clear that there is no real infringement here, and the question becomes, how could privately stored data be anybody else's business?