Why Do Posts Always Degenerate Into An Off Topic Discussion?

LarryBird

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

America pollutes the world's environment with clothes washing soap.

Actually it does not. The worst offenders are those countries still heavily dependent upon products that deliver high concentrations of phosphorous to the washing drum. The USA,and EU have been leaders in reducing the amount of phosphorous in laundry detergent. The manufacturers of Asia (South Korea, Japan & Taiwan) have also assisted the effort by producing HD washers that use less detergent (and less water). These countries also have sewage treatment facilities that in some areas have a process to reduce the amount of organic compounds and substances such as phosphates from effluent. Now if we look at Thailand what we see are;

1. Detergents with high phosphorous content. It really isnt needed because Thaialnd in many areas has "soft" water. There is also an emphasis upon organic compounds that deliver the heavy scents intended to cover up the lingering odour of the water sources which are usually not potable.

2. Thailand has a deficient sewage treatment system that still delivers raw sewage into its rivers and oceans.

ok, sure you made the comment in jest. However, it is still an incorrect and misleading statement. Rather than the issue of derailing threads, what really ticks me off are people that post inaccurate misleading statements.

• Like 1

I think some sidetracking of a thread can be fun and interesting but there is a limit... especially when the posts turn mean spirited with heavy doses from the Politically Correct thought and language police and with all the yammering on by the know it all Coots and Cranks...

Edited by JDGRUEN

Because there are many people who cannot except other peoples views , wether right or wrong , Many good posters do not post now because of it, they Just lerk in the back ground,Some times I think i am right but when some person posts different, i think again , that's the difference some people don't.

You missed a couple of commas. You need a period after "back ground" instead of a comma, and it this case I think background should be one word and not two. You need a gap between a period and the next sentence. The correct spelling is "lurk", not "lerk". And, "wether" needs an "H" after the "W".

laugh.pngbiggrin.pngrolleyes.gifwhistling.gif

Carry on

What's a period?rolleyes.gif .

Edited by MAJIC

I think some sidetracking of a thread can be fun and interesting but there is a limit... especially when the posts turn mean spirited with heavy doses from the Politically Correct thought and language police and with all the yammering on by the know it all Coots and Cranks...

You just described 90% (or more!) of Thaivisa members. You might need to be more specific tongue.png

Have you ever seen a thread about fish where no-one mentioned bicycles?

Have you ever seen the monty python word association football thread?

Two weeks to go to the start of Superleague, bytheway, getting back on topic (though not this topic)

SC

I tried to divert another thread to cricket.... Nothing too hectic, just sort of medium-paced, but no one wanted to go into bat on that one. wink.png Maybe I scored an own goal.

Edited by Rob8891

Because there are many people who cannot except other peoples views , wether right or wrong , Many good posters do not post now because of it, they Just lerk in the back ground,Some times I think i am right but when some person posts different, i think again , that's the difference some people don't.

You missed a couple of commas. You need a period after "back ground" instead of a comma, and it this case I think background should be one word and not two. You need a gap between a period and the next sentence. The correct spelling is "lurk", not "lerk". And, "wether" needs an "H" after the "W".

Carry on

What kind of grammar-nazi are you?

Should be "cannot accept other people's views"

Now carry on.....

mario299

• Like 1

So, after many months of waiting for someone else to do it, I bought some grout, thin tiles and put a stop to rats entering my kitchen under the metal door gap. Without the wife threatening monkhood, I would have not done it. tongue.png

If building standards were up to scratch that wouldn't have happened. It's not like back home you know - although, depending on which method you used to transfer your money in, it can be cheaper to have it done in some parts of LoS. Anyway, you should not have been doing it without a WP and surely you're not suggesting you own the land?

Actually it does not. The worst offenders are those countries still heavily dependent upon products that deliver high concentrations of phosphorous to the washing drum. The USA,and EU have been leaders in reducing the amount of phosphorous in laundry detergent. The manufacturers of Asia (South Korea, Japan & Taiwan) have also assisted the effort by producing HD washers that use less detergent (and less water). These countries also have sewage treatment facilities that in some areas have a process to reduce the amount of organic compounds and substances such as phosphates from effluent. Now if we look at Thailand what we see are;

1. Detergents with high phosphorous content. It really isnt needed because Thaialnd in many areas has "soft" water. There is also an emphasis upon organic compounds that deliver the heavy scents intended to cover up the lingering odour of the water sources which are usually not potable.

2. Thailand has a deficient sewage treatment system that still delivers raw sewage into its rivers and oceans.

ok, sure you made the comment in jest. However, it is still an incorrect and misleading statement. Rather than the issue of derailing threads, what really ticks me off are people that post inaccurate misleading statements.

Quite right. We should make sure that our misleading statements are factually accurate; such posts are as welcome as sleepers on a railway track

SC

What a load of old effluent.

Like ...."Corporations from what country own the popular washing soap brands in Thailand" :)

anyone knows where to buy cheap football cleats?

Does anyone know where to get a packet of clothes washing soap? smile.png

Anyone??

The 20 baht store.

I remember when we had a five baht store....and trees....and most importantly we had grass in them days!

You youngsters know diddly squat.....

anyone knows where to buy cheap football cleats?

Anyone??

The 20 baht store.

I remember when we had a five baht store....and trees....and most importantly we had grass in them days!

5 baht stores.....every kid could get grass here 5 baht would buy a big bag. Who are you calling a youngster.

Carry on

What's a period?rolleyes.gif .

Don't get me started on THAT! clap2.giflaugh.png

You just described 90% (or more!) of Thaivisa members. You might need to be more specific tongue.png

Well then - we must work on the other 10%.... isn't there a school or something they can attend like the Curmudgeon Institute in BKK ?

5 baht stores.....every kid could get grass here 5 baht would buy a big bag. Who are you calling a youngster.

Oops sorry gramps....thought you were taking a nap! biggrin.png

Carry on

Hate to do this, but what's with "it this case I think"? :rolleyes:

Carry on

Hate to do this, but what's with "it this case I think"? :rolleyes:

THere are no inverted commas round background either. To be a little pedantic I think that there should be a "that" after "think" too.

Edited by harrry

Carry on

Hate to do this, but what's with "it this case I think"? rolleyes.gif

THere are no inverted commas round background either. To be a little pedantic I think that there should be a "that" after "think" too.

We should probably start a thread of useful hints to help our semi-literate co-posters, some of whom may be Johnny Foreigners and thus at a natural disadvantage.

Then we could discretely highlight the section of concern and include a link to the relevant post in the helpful hints thread. Perhaps the moderators might care to take note of repeat offenders, and ban them for bringing the forum into disrepute

SC

Like ...."Corporations from what country own the popular washing soap brands in Thailand" smile.png

Really?

Do you know who the 3 top producers of laundry detergent are in Thailand?

Unilever has about 40% of the market: Unilever has made an effort to reduce its phosphate content.

However, the rest of the market is dominated by 2 Thai chemical companies;

Thai Lion Ltd. and Kao Chemical Thailand. The Thai entities are Thai controlled, although Thai Lion is echnically a JV with a Japanese firm and Kao is technically the Japanese subsidiary of the Japanese multinational Kao Chemical.

There are a number of smaller Thai and Chinese companies that produce products that contain all sorts of wonderful chemical compounds. I wouldn't be surprised if they include substances that were banned decades ago in the west.

BTW, did you know that Unilever is the only manufacturer in Thailand that has the following public position on phosphates ;

Its use can be inappropriate in some specific areas where phosphates are not removed by water treatment systems or where water ‘eutrophication’ is a problem due to the oversupply of nutrients (e.g. nitrate, phosphate) promoting excessive plant growth and decay, leading to a reduction in water quality. We use scientific risk assessments to determine where this may be an issue to help inform our decisions.

We have a long-standing commitment to sustainable laundry driven by a total life cycle assessment of our products and their impact. Recent environmental metrics work has shown that the sourcing of phosphates has a higher GreenHouse Gas (GHG) impact than other alternatives. So as part of our commitment to sustainable laundry we are working to substitute them with alternatives where possible.

The above also serves to illustrate the difference between "Thai/Asian" chemical conglomerates and western chemical conglomerates with the western companies. This is due in large part to the laws that regulate corporate conduct. . This results in greater accountability and transparency. I note that many theads go off on a tangent seeking to blame "farangs" for many of the problems endemic in Thailand. Nothing stops the Thais from having environmental protection laws and enforcing them. When is the last time you ever saw a Thai chemical company big or small get its knuckles smacked for inappropriate practices?

Edited by geriatrickid

We should probably start a thread of useful hints to help our semi-literate co-posters, some of whom may be Johnny Foreigners and thus at a natural disadvantage.

Then we could discretely highlight the section of concern and include a link to the relevant post in the helpful hints thread. Perhaps the moderators might care to take note of repeat offenders, and ban them for bringing the forum into disrepute

SC

Not being the greatest typist I continually need to edit and re-edit my own work. I am forgiving of all posts with improper English. However, as this is just a FUN topic and not really serious, I felt I could post a light hearted barb of my own. biggrin.png

SC

Not being the greatest typist I continually need to edit and re-edit my own work. I am forgiving of all posts with improper English. However, as this is just a FUN topic and not really serious, I felt I could post a light hearted barb of my own. biggrin.png

Sorry. It is a case of living in glass houses and throwing stones. If you can criticise posts for grammar it is essential your own is correct. Personally if I can understand a post I do not care especially as many are from non English speakers or are just typos.

• Like 1

America pollutes the world's environment with innacurate posts.

• Like 1

Yes, American's are all stupid, aggressive, arrogant, pushy, impolite, illiterate, dishonest, conniving scum.

Yes, American's are all stupid, aggressive, arrogant, pushy, impolite, illiterate, dishonest, conniving scum.

We do need a 'sarcasm' font, before CMK takes the wrong end of that...

Sorry. It is a case of living in glass houses and throwing stones. If you can criticise posts for grammar it is essential your own is correct. Personally if I can understand a post I do not care especially as many are from non English speakers or are just typos.

A couple of times recently I've noticed myself typing homonyms, which surprised me. I do know where to use 'there' and 'their', for example (which are not even homonyms, in my accent), and another I found myself typing was 'here' for 'hear', so I don't know if perhaps some of the errors come from typing as we would speak, so to speak

SC