Why Do Posts Always Degenerate Into An Off Topic Discussion?

LarryBird

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We should probably start a thread of useful hints to help our semi-literate co-posters, some of whom may be Johnny Foreigners and thus at a natural disadvantage.

Then we could discretely highlight the section of concern and include a link to the relevant post in the helpful hints thread. Perhaps the moderators might care to take note of repeat offenders, and ban them for bringing the forum into disrepute

SC

Not being the greatest typist I continually need to edit and re-edit my own work. I am forgiving of all posts with improper English. However, as this is just a FUN topic and not really serious, I felt I could post a light hearted barb of my own. biggrin.png

Sorry. It is a case of living in glass houses and throwing stones. If you can criticise posts for grammar it is essential your own is correct. Personally if I can understand a post I do not care especially as many are from non English speakers or are just typos.

I don't throw stones unless I EXPECT some thrown back. Otherwise I would be upset that someone took me seriously. it's like two good friends in a pub continually trying to one-up the other. Men do it far more than women. Women tend to do it in spite and to be nasty.

If only strictly on topic posts were allowed, threads would probably have an average of 3 replies.

My main beef is how topics will switch back to some cynical viewpoint about how things are in some other country that is completely irrelevant. For example, with the vote buying. NOBODY would honestly answer that this is a good system. But yet, somebody has to say how democracy works in America. This is actually COMPLETELY irrelevant. A couple of things.. Firstly, Thai people would tell you they don't like it. And, also, no American's are on here telling you their system is perfect. At the same time, a lot of people in America are change things, but no one is looking to Thailand's vote buying system and asking 'Is this how it should be done?' or 'at least it's better than how it's done in Thailand..' It's just irrelevant.

If only strictly on topic posts were allowed, threads would probably have an average of 3 replies.

My main beef is how topics will switch back to some cynical viewpoint about how things are in some other country that is completely irrelevant. For example, with the vote buying. NOBODY would honestly answer that this is a good system. But yet, somebody has to say how democracy works in America. This is actually COMPLETELY irrelevant. A couple of things.. Firstly, Thai people would tell you they don't like it. And, also, no American's are on here telling you their system is perfect. At the same time, a lot of people in America are change things, but no one is looking to Thailand's vote buying system and asking 'Is this how it should be done?' or 'at least it's better than how it's done in Thailand..' It's just irrelevant.

Yes, but so much more interesting. We all know about vote buying in Thailand, but we don't know how it works in other countries.

Yes, but so much more interesting. We all know about vote buying in Thailand, but we don't know how it works in other countries.

But I don't think it's legal in Thailand like at home.smile.png

• Like 2

Because there are many people who cannot except other peoples views , wether right or wrong , Many good posters do not post now because of it, they Just lerk in the back ground,Some times I think i am right but when some person posts different, i think again , that's the difference some people don't.

You missed a couple of commas. You need a period after "back ground" instead of a comma, and it this case I think background should be one word and not two. You need a gap between a period and the next sentence. The correct spelling is "lurk", not "lerk". And, "wether" needs an "H" after the "W".

laugh.pngbiggrin.pngrolleyes.gifwhistling.gif

Carry on

What's a period?rolleyes.gif .

Don't get me started on THAT! clap2.giflaugh.png

Seriously, is that American English for "Full Stop"?

Sorry. It is a case of living in glass houses and throwing stones. If you can criticise posts for grammar it is essential your own is correct. Personally if I can understand a post I do not care especially as many are from non English speakers or are just typos.

A couple of times recently I've noticed myself typing homonyms, which surprised me. I do know where to use 'there' and 'their', for example (which are not even homonyms, in my accent), and another I found myself typing was 'here' for 'hear', so I don't know if perhaps some of the errors come from typing as we would speak, so to speak

SC

Me to as well

I've noticed myself typing homonyms, which surprised me because I don't know what it means

• Like 1

A couple of times recently I've noticed myself typing homonyms, which surprised me. I do know where to use 'there' and 'their', for example (which are not even homonyms, in my accent), and another I found myself typing was 'here' for 'hear', so I don't know if perhaps some of the errors come from typing as we would speak, so to speak

SC

Me to as well

I've noticed myself typing homonyms, which surprised me because I don't know what it means

I always go off on a 30-second research (EDIT: When I have doubts about what I've written), and you're quite right, what I was talking about are specifically homophones, whereas some people interpret homonyms to be limited only to homographs; though as we all know, homographs may not be homophones.

SC

EDIT: Anyway, so long as it doesn't happen when you're driving (finding yourself typing homonyms - or even typing 'homonyms') you should be OK

Edited by StreetCowboy

^^I assume you are an American saying that in jest. (Well who else but an American would know who Larry Bird is).

I am dutch and i shot some hoops.

Not saying i am pro-USA, but i am for Larrycool.png

Also try clit-bangthumbsup.gif this should clean things up, properly.

post-70928-0-67533600-1358796075_thumb.j

Edited by Dancealot

^^I assume you are an American saying that in jest. (Well who else but an American would know who Larry Bird is).

I am dutch and i shot some hoops.

Not saying i am pro-USA, but i am for Larrycool.png

Also try clit-bang thumbsup.gif this should clean things up, properly.

post-70928-0-67533600-1358796075_thumb.j

I find what you typed often causes quite a mess..... but is is more enjoyable than doing the cleaning.. whistling.gif

It seems there are people on this forum that think it's either all bad, or all good. But, facts are facts. It doesn't matter what happens 'in the west' , or that America has started some wars that you may or may not disagree with

examples of typical TV threads

A: 'There's a lot of littering in Thailand..'

B:' America pollutes the world with it's factories and burning of fossil fuels'

A: 'My wife just got handed cash to vote for a local candidate'

B ' In the west we're all bought through media advertising'

The reason is that it is almost always implied that it is only here in Thailand this problem exists, and that in our own country it is so much better. That is the reason we sometimes needs to inform you that it is in fact just as bad in other countries.

So, for example:

A: I embarrassed a thai guy in front of many people, I made him look like an ass, and then he got pissed off at me, how come this "save face" thing is such a big thing here in Thailand??

Then I, and many others feel the need to tell you that:

B: No one likes to be embarrassed in public, it has nothing to do with saving face and being Thai. Even Westerners prefer to not be humiliated in public.

Edited by ayayay