Running Shoes - Reasonably Priced - Pattaya / Jomtien

SurfRider

I've bought both my recent pairs of NB trainers in that large sports shop on the 2nd floor, Beach side.

I'm also a UK size 12 and there are few alternate options, occasionally they have sales and you can get them for between 2500 - 3000 a pair.

5000 - 6000 THB is about the going rate for a pair of decent running shoes I'm afraid, and I wouldn't skimp on them if I were you. Plus not many of the brands will do the wider 2E fittings that NB make. Mail order is also a bit of a lottery.

One alternative is to stop at one of those sidewalk shoe places on various roads--such as Thepprasit and Sukhumvit--(shoes hanging all over) and find a used pair. Apprently some temporary expats/tourists give them away or sell the for little money when they return home. Many are in good condition, and some are from Western countries.

Thanks to everyone for all the great suggestions! I'll check them out and report back.

I've never seen these used shoe places - if anyone has specific location information I'd like to look there also.

theres two on naclua to pattaya rd opposite aksorn school and a big one on sukumvit opposite banglamung police station.

I have bought Nike's from the Nike outlet on Theprasit a few times, some were decent and some were crap.Nowadays the prices there are aimed at the New tourists ( Russians) and so not economical anymore.

I have bought runners from Bata which lasted exactly 7 days.No problem got them refunded.

The problem with most of these shoes in Thailand is that the soles come off as the weather conditions weakens the glue.

The last 2 pair of shoes I bought from the shop right opposite the Big C extra entrance on Central road. They are a Chinese brand, look good fit good and cost between 700 and maybe 1500 Baht depending on the style.

I have a minor issue with one foot that I actually would need an Orthotic insole, so I prefer a stable shoe.

The ones I bought were 750 Baht if memory serves me right and are as good as the best Nikes I have had.By the way both pairs are over a year old and worn daily and there is no symptoms of the sole coming off.

The problem with most of these shoes in Thailand is that the soles come off as the weather conditions weakens the glue.

I have a minor issue with one foot that I actually would need an Orthotic insole, so I prefer a stable shoe.

The ones I bought were 750 Baht if memory serves me right and are as good as the best Nikes I have had.By the way both pairs are over a year old and worn daily and there is no symptoms of the sole coming off.

I bought my Tesco trainers for exactly the same reasons and have found them to be long-lasting as I mentioned, even with orthopaedic insoles in place. A previous pair from Bata costing twice the price lasted just a couple of months before the soles split in two (though they did remain glued to the uppers).

I bought my Tesco trainers for exactly the same reasons and have found them to be long-lasting as I mentioned, even with orthopaedic insoles in place. A previous pair from Bata costing twice the price lasted just a couple of months before the soles split in two (though they did remain glued to the uppers).

I don't wear insoles in these shoes as I don't need them.

With the Nikes it was always a long search to find a shoe that would support my unstable foot, and if I was able to find one it would be in the +3000 Baht range, and that was from the promotions at the outlet store.

The shoes I have now at 750 Baht support my foot very well without an insole.

Good questions and good answers.

I would love to find the new balance water proof trail runners but alas both expensive and not available.

I last purchased shoes at the super sports (name?) shop in central beach mall and stumbled upon solomen brand all purpose, not cheap but what a shoe!!! They felt comfortable immendiately and have stayed that way. Almost as good as the former. Very well made (so far and as i can tell)

I understand and am begining to think that super cheap or super expensivbe are the best ways to go.

Oh and add in the middle too, hehe!!! biggrin.png

Nike, Reebok, Adidas and all the other rip off upmarket brands spend billions of dollars on advertising and sponsoring every year, then produce their products in China or Vietnam at close to no cost.

Someone has to pay for those advertising costs, don't you think.

Don't you also think that the Chinese or Vietnamese who's producing those cheap shoes, which are sold at inflated prices, isn't able to copy them and then sell them under a noname brand without spending a single dollar on promotion?

Edited by jbrain

"cheap shoes, which are sold at inflated prices, isn't able to copy them and then sell them under a noname brand without spending a single dollar on promotion?"

Sounds great - just tell me where to find them . . . smile.png

The last 2 pair of shoes I bought from the shop right opposite the Big C extra entrance on Central road. They are a Chinese brand, look good fit good and cost between 700 and maybe 1500 Baht depending on the style.

post # 13

"cheap shoes, which are sold at inflated prices, isn't able to copy them and then sell them under a noname brand without spending a single dollar on promotion?"

post # 13

Perhaps - but the shoes sold by NB, Saucony etc are for running in - would you run in local copies, for any length of time ?

post # 13

Perhaps - but the shoes sold by NB, Saucony etc are for running in - would you run in local copies, for any length of time ?

I don't run marathons, but I've been using them for over a year for exactly the same thing I used my Nikes before, and that includes running.

Would you be surprised to hear some were simply stolen? A few years ago all the shoes in our village were stolen. They simply went from house to house and picked up all shoes parked outsides and left with them. We have since changed security smile.png

Unreal....

Kind of a good point that many will argue jamhar.

I have tired the cheapest to top of the line and honestly i can say i notice no difference during and after a run.

I will point out that the initial fit and comfort are THE most important thing.

I do not understand all the hype i got from professional running shoe shops back home.

Your results may vary.