What Is The Deal With A Rented Apartment When Buying Things?

finy

I would imagine it would be possible to buy what you need and when you're moving out you would just rent a van to take your stuff to new place.

Is this basically what happens with special desks, leather chairs, etc?

Thanks

It was more whether you should fit it out with new stuff rather than leaving it when you go.

I've not really done this before. It was either air force digs, hostel rooms, or guest houses.

Never rented a proper place before where I would buy stuff, so don't know if I should fully kit it out to what I want.

Edited by finy

Depends on how long you plan to be "in-country". Moving from apt to apt is one thing, and you can easily move stuff around. If you plan to leave the country anytime soon, you should look for a furnished place instead.

Thanks. I'll get a furnished one anyway, but I want to make it better so I'll buy some stuff if it's easy to move.

Kit out the apartment to suit your needs -- just be aware that most owners take a dim view of putting in something that most people would consider a "permanent fixture" and then taking it with you, like an air conditioner or hot water heater. You're going to create damage in removing those items and the owners expect you to leave them without giving you any compensation.

But, furniture, rugs, pots & pans -- no problem! If you find you're leaving Chiang Mai for a time and plan to return, you can store your items with Chiang Mai Removals. We've used them for in-town moves and found them to be wonderful -- reasonably priced and excellent service. They also offer a service for storage, where they'll come to your place, pack up your stuff, take it away for storage and them bring it to your next place when you return. Haven't used this service, but I imagine it's good, based on their other services.

http://www.chiangmairemovals.com/