External Hard Drive And Crazy Mouse

johnnort

Hello,

A while back I removed a 3.5 IDE HD from an old PC running Windows XP I had been using. Putting this in a mains powered ´box´ and connecting to my Asus F55A laptop, running Windows 7, via a USB port has resulted in the pad mouse pointer going haywire. It moves around the screen without prompting. Disconnecting the external HD corrects the mouse pointer. I have checked the drivers for the pointing device and have erased the HD drive using C Cleaner after firstly extracting the required files. The problem still exists. Is it because of the two different OS´s, maybe? And is there anyone with any ideas on how to rectify the issue? It takes 5 minutes to position the mouse on an icon to click, and then it may jump off just as the pad is being pressed. Thanks.

it could be a power grab from the USB drive pulling down the power of the USB controller. An external powered USB hub would help with that.

Or it could be the USB driver processing adjustments, but most likely the USB power is the culprit.