Shopping Carts

KRS1

Note that your actual database will not be PHP, the database will, in most cases, be MySQL.

So you need to learn PHP and MySQL together if you want to build your own database driven site.

it doesn't harm to have an idea about jquerry and java as well. unless you wanna do dumping stuff direct into the tables or fancy db syncs over multiple sites, there is no need to dive into sql. knowing a bit about phpmyadmin should be enough. IMO there is no need to learn sql when all what the average user does is: create a db , add a user and the rest is done by some front-end.

How would you display data (ie pages, products, prices etc...) on your site from the database, without having any knowledge of how to write an SQL query?

Edited by dave111223

Note that your actual database will not be PHP, the database will, in most cases, be MySQL.

So you need to learn PHP and MySQL together if you want to build your own database driven site.

it doesn't harm to have an idea about jquerry and java as well. unless you wanna do dumping stuff direct into the tables or fancy db syncs over multiple sites, there is no need to dive into sql. knowing a bit about phpmyadmin should be enough. IMO there is no need to learn sql when all what the average user does is: create a db , add a user and the rest is done by some front-end.

How would you display data (ie pages, products, prices etc...) on your site from the database, without having any knowledge of how to write an SQL query?

Using a CMS most of this SHOULD (can't stress that enough) be well documented. Even the, already, slated Virtuemart offers this allowing people to put in a call to get an output. Above that most of these systems (K2, Hikashop, etc) allow for people to create custom fields through a user-friendly interface. With Joomla! (please remember that I am not a J! evangelist, it is just my path) you can use database interfacing tools built into the administrator section like Sobipro and its numerous add-ons.

If you are talking about building from the bottom up then I agree, however 99.9% of sites do not need that now and most website management can be done without knowing any scripts at all. I have learnt the little I need to learn about MySQL manual query/editing as I have needed it and am certainly still VERY much in love with HeidiSQL when I can't do it manually through phpmyadmin.

---EDIT---

Agree with JakeBKK that being able to read/edit jquery is useful. I probably need to do that as often as I need to play with php to achieve a result. Can't agree about Java, at present, though!

Edited by draftvader

Using a CMS most of this SHOULD (can't stress that enough) be well documented. Even the, already, slated Virtuemart offers this allowing people to put in a call to get an output. Above that most of these systems (K2, Hikashop, etc) allow for people to create custom fields through a user-friendly interface. With Joomla! (please remember that I am not a J! evangelist, it is just my path) you can use database interfacing tools built into the administrator section like Sobipro and its numerous add-ons.

If you are talking about building from the bottom up then I agree, however 99.9% of sites do not need that now and most website management can be done without knowing any scripts at all. I have learnt the little I need to learn about MySQL manual query/editing as I have needed it and am certainly still VERY much in love with HeidiSQL when I can't do it manually through phpmyadmin.

---EDIT---

Agree with JakeBKK that being able to read/edit jquery is useful. I probably need to do that as often as I need to play with php to achieve a result. Can't agree about Java, at present, though!

That depends how you look at it. Some people here will say that SQL makes sense to them in a way like: root@box:/mysql foobar

Other people will say: I don't want this crap, do not want to learn about.... / understand about this...!

So you finally end up with a good solution like ckeditor(*) or such; There: you click a button, upload your data – and you are gone.

So you finally end up with a good solution like ckeditor(*) or such; There: you click a button, upload your data – and you are gone.

ckeditor is simply a wysiwyg editor, and will not save anything you enter without a backend script to store the data somewhere (such as to database or file).

ckeditor is simply a wysiwyg editor, and will not save anything you enter without a backend script to store the data somewhere (such as to database or file).

whatever serves the purpose. you could write a query and it would be executed right here - unless your user level sanitizes and strips the input into simple BB code. This is a kind of a good idea anyway. But you could dump stuff here into your sql in the same way this post get stored into one.