Where To Get A Set Of Not Too Expensive, Just Normal Tires?

cyberholz

I was in the market for some new tyres recently. In the last couple of years the price has gone up substantially sad.png

Good tires are not included in the inflation basket, because we all know a) there are no monopolies in this country and B) nothing gets more expensive.

Hey cyberholz - that sounds very expensive - are they a special size / profile ? What make were they trying to sell you ?

Seems crazy, as the price of rubber has dropped through the floor for Months already, and I believe they make them here.

I bought tyres 6 Months ago now, and after looking at Bridgestone / Michellins - the cheapest I found were GoodYear - cost me 11,000 straight for a set of 4 with free balancing and alignment, and they'll swap the tyres round at 50,000 km for free. I'm not an expert, but they drive fine.

I went to a B-Quick, and they were about 3,000 more expensive, and wanted to give me a stainless thermos flask (worth 1,000 baht) instead of knocking the price down.

Actually the GoodYear centre gave me a 3 Year 100,000 km warranty, which the other brands don't - normally they give you 50,000. It's interesting to note, they had some more expensive ones that actually give you free, Nationwide breakdown recovery if the tyres fail - and they still weren't anywhere near the price you were quoted for yours.

Be very careful with second hand / retreads here. Maybe drive out of Bangers for a better deal.

Goodluck.

Two months ago,I bought a set of second hand tyres for a Vigo, from a small shop on Pahonyothin Rd. The tyres were second hand, but still had loads of tread on them. They were Bridgestones. The guy wanted 1500bht each, but because I had all four changed, my wife got him down to 1000bht each all in. I had no problems with them, and I'll definately use the shop again. It's up near Don Meuang airport.

Bquik and cockpit tend to be expensive, I found Tyre Plus to be better.

Tyre Plus sell a variety of brands including Maxxis.

I reckon Maxxis are good value for the money, not high performance tyres but drive and wear OK.

Personally I am not a fan of second hand tyres unless a particularly good deal is on offer. You need to know the prices before shopping as I have seen used Bridgestones and Michelins asking similar prices to New Maxxis tyres.

Edited by Jitar

About 18 months ago here in Chiang Mai (not where you are, Iknow), I bought a set of 235/15 Michelin Latitude Cross for 14,400 fitted, balanced and with wheel rotation at each 10,000km - small local shop.

Also, have you thought about chopping in the complete wheel & tyre set for a new-to-you secondhand set? I did this on my D-Max which is how I ended up with 235s. A set of 4 nice polished alloys with Goodyear Wrangler AT tyres (with more tread than I had on my chop-in Isuzu wheels/tyres) for 4,000 baht and another 400 to get them fitted down the road.

Cheers,

Pikey.

About 18 months ago here in Chiang Mai (not where you are, Iknow), I bought a set of 235/15 Michelin Latitude Cross for 14,400 fitted, balanced and with wheel rotation at each 10,000km - small local shop.

2 years ago, I paid 4700 baht each for a couple of Latitude Cross AT 265/15. A couple of months ago they were asking 6000 baht each. Big increase over those 2 years. Settled for a couple of Dunlops AT3 @ 5000 each. It's only for the second truck that's used mainly for driving in the mountains & carrying mountain bikes. If it was my main drive, I would've paid the extra for the Michelin.

Not knowing anything of the tire situation in Thailand and owning a car here I have 2 comments:

1) In the USA I used Michelins on my car and van for the past 30 years. Tried a 2 other brands and quickly exchanged them. Rationale: Strong side walls, no sway in the wind (van) and corner nicely. Capable of high speeds (depending on model).

2) Stands to reason that any tire imported to Thailand would be vastly more expensive, as is anything else imported including prescription drugs, vitamins, foods, clothing etc etc

My tires are wearing down so does anyone know of an on-line list or have knowledge of tire brand/models manufactured in Thailand? And would they be of comparable quality to those of the same brand manufactured outside of Thai? And are Thai brands of quality? I don't need a blowout in the middle of nowhere, let alone in downtown Chiang Mai in the rush hour, and do want nice stiff cornering ability and a decent lifetime.

Thanks, wasn't aware that Michelin was made in Poland, but guess everything is made most anywhere these days. Wonder if "made in Poland" is any lower cost than made in other countries such as USA or wherever they're made in Asia? I'll need to check out model names to determine if they're the same -- thinking of quality-wise of course.

Maybe the OP should post what size of tyres he requires. I've got no idea what a CR-V wears. And then folk replying with xxxx baht for their tyres could post what size & style (road tyres, offroad tyres) they are referring to.

I also have a 2007 CRV AWD and looking for a new set. I've been looking at Maxxis MS300 or the Maxxis MA-707, I think around 3500 per tire. Considerably cheaper than Michelins. I don't drive hard, so not too concerned with "high" speeds and "cornering". Some of my colleagues have used Maxxis and they are not complaining.... I may take the plunge. Not in a great rush to go out and buy them now, but always looking for good prices.

Regarding the size required:

225/65R17

Anything bigger than 16 inches will cost here, just about anywhere. Stock "Michelin Latitude" costs about $180 USD in the USA.

The only reason why I would keep using Michelin is because they "say" their tires can last up to 10 years, providing you check them regularly after the 5th year. I read this from their website, (http://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/learn-share/buying-guide/when-should-i-change-my-tyres), "How old is too old..." section.

But, because of costs, I'm seriously considering Maxxis.

225/65R17

Anything bigger than 16 inches will cost here, just about anywhere. Stock "Michelin Latitude" costs about $180 USD in the USA.

The only reason why I would keep using Michelin is because they "say" their tires can last up to 10 years, providing you check them regularly after the 5th year. I read this from their website, (http://www.michelin....change-my-tyres), "How old is too old..." section.

That's utter rubbish, this Michelin marketing.

I have Michelins and they're done after five years. And I'm a very moderate driver who never speeds.

225/65R17

The only reason why I would keep using Michelin is because they "say" their tires can last up to 10 years, providing you check them regularly after the 5th year. I read this from their website, (http://www.michelin....change-my-tyres), "How old is too old..." section.

That's utter rubbish, this Michelin marketing.

I have Michelins and they're done after five years. And I'm a very moderate driver who never speeds.

My last set of Michelin Latitude Cross lasted 6 yrs & 8 yrs. I changed 2 out after 6 years, because of a split on one tyre - slow puncture on a downhill trip. The other 2 changed after 8 years - loads of tread, but too old - gone hard, lost the grip in the wet. check your tyre pressures. Most service centres put far too much air in, leading to excessive wear.

So I bit the bullet and went for the (most expensive) Michelin.

Well all the tire shops say that's the one...

Peace of mind.

Thanks all for your inputs.

Feels like driving a new car again, guess the old tires (90k km) were slightly overdue for a change...

Peace of mind.

Feels like driving a new car again, guess the old tires (90k km) were slightly overdue for a change...

...so,what exactly and where made?

Peace of mind.

...so,what exactly and where made?

Made in Thailand (Week 45/2012)

Latitude

6.7k the piece