Gymkhana Club

jackr

Sorry for being a bit strong, but your comments just pissed me off because they were so ignorant and completely lacked any appreciation for all the work which members have selflessly put into the club to see to its survival.

He has a knack at doing that. Just avoid responding to him or better still put him in your block list. :o

Okay calm down now, everyone. :o

I'm kind of neutral in this, as I don't play golf and don't know Gymkhana other than from driving past there and walking around that tree once.

However I will say that I enjoyed reading Sow Jiang Mai's passionate post about the place.

Also I made a mental note about:

> there is a party being held to raise funds to help support the club Friday 24th March in

> the evening: raffles, live music, food, drinks and fun. Tickets are 300 baht and you can

> get them at the door.

Sounds like a good thing to check out. Thanks for posting that!

Cheers,

Chanchao

How can I have a vested interest when I don't own the club? NO ONE DOES...

Once again, you are confused; the club is owned by members, people like me,

Well, done, that was a good one.

But yes, calm is the order of the day.

Hi Guys,

Getting hot in here, just cool it! I played golf in University and ever since not. I liked it very much and wish to play again. Now there have been 2 courses named in this thread, but as to my knowledge, there are many more courses in the vicinity of Chiang Mai. Can anyone suggest the best golf course for a beginner with no clubs and 'balls'? If something comes up I would be happy if other people would join in and maybe make a regular social event out of it? Beginners and/or advanced players, whatever the mix. So thanks for any suggestions and maybe see you on the green soon. I will open a new thread so please answer in there, thanks: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=63403

beerlao :o

Personally I think that the Club is brilliant, especially if you are not that good at golf or a novice golfer. (although I have NEVER won a game there but if you saw my swing that would not surprise you) Its not intimidating, the people are as freindly as you will find anywhere.

Plus the fees are very reasonable compared to other clubs.

My Son told me that fees for a round at an ordinary club in Bangkok leave you little change from 4,000 baht and thats just midweek!, I beleive he said you can nearly double that on a weekend!!!

Having read through this thread I think that I am pretty keen to make the most of the discounts available at the moment even though I am complete rubbish I certainly enjoyed it the times I have played there.

Trouble is I have now leant my Son my clubs as have not played in over 15 months because of back problems, but know these seem to be behind me it may well be the time to polish up the shoes and hire some clubs until I can persuade my boy to buy a set of his own!!

Anyone fancy an easy game?

You WILL win, no matter how bad you think you are, I will be WORSE

Kor tod ka for the hissy fit.

I have had a peace pipe and have calmed down.

I just wanted to say that I can name, off hand, at least 20 members who earn much less a month than Polecat does and they are so far from being snobby it is unreal. The reason that they have all joined the club is because they believe in it and they want it to continue. After the floods, when we were - and are - fighting bankruptcy, so many member stepped in to help, sacrificing their time and money, and to call us all elitist and accuse us of having no sense of the community is just plain insulting - and as I said, misinformed.

Last point: the club is strugging. We need support, and to think that Polecat may have deterred just one person from joining is seriously galling and annoying to the extreme. Our accounts are available for viewing, our membership there to join and our club is open to interested parties. That is all I have to say on this subject, and I do apologise again for the tantrum.

The bottom line is that I love the club; it is a good thing. And when people attack it for no apparant reason, and harms it, I bristle.

Licking my feathers...goodnight. PK (SJM)

Kor tod ka for the hissy fit.

I have had a peace pipe and have calmed down.

I just wanted to say that I can name, off hand, at least 20 members who earn much less a month than Polecat does and they are so far from being snobby it is unreal. The reason that they have all joined the club is because they believe in it and they want it to continue. After the floods, when we were - and are - fighting bankruptcy, so many member stepped in to help, sacrificing their time and money, and to call us all elitist and accuse us of having no sense of the community is just plain insulting - and as I said, misinformed.

Last point: the club is strugging. We need support, and to think that Polecat may have deterred just one person from joining is seriously galling and annoying to the extreme. Our accounts are available for viewing, our membership there to join and our club is open to interested parties. That is all I have to say on this subject, and I do apologise again for the tantrum.

The bottom line is that I love the club; it is a good thing. And when people attack it for no apparant reason, and harms it, I bristle.

Licking my feathers...goodnight. PK (SJM)

I for one hope the club survives. We play squash there 2Xs p/week ,I play a bit more, and to see those courts being replaced by something else would hurt. The golf course was , to say the least---playable, but the history and ppl make the place. CM sixes are just one of the traditions there. To sit outside on a fine CM night, under those magnificent trees, having dinner and drinks, with good friends, after golf, squash, or tennis, is great !

Edited by greedisgood

I pm'd Soa regarding the club... hopefully he will reply soon, I would really like to join

It appears they don't have a dedicated web-site which surprised me. The closest I could find was here:

http://www.thaifocus.com/sports/gymkhana/index.htm

Also didn't know how to get there (do now). If you want an arial view (Google Earth).

post-566-1142769736_thumb.jpg

Edited by tywais

I pm'd Soa regarding the club... hopefully he will reply soon, I would really like to join

It appears they don't have a dedicated web-site which surprised me. The closest I could find was here:

http://www.thaifocus.com/sports/gymkhana/index.htm

Also didn't know how to get there (do now). If you want an arial view (Google Earth).

post-566-1142769736_thumb.jpg

Well Tywais, now that you know where it is...at least 2 of us are having a knock there on Wednesday... I know you are a bit crook right now, but why not come along and walk the course, thats good excersie for your back.... and you will get to meet a few other TV members hopefully

Well Tywais, now that you know where it is...at least 2 of us are having a knock there on Wednesday... I know you are a bit crook right now, but why not come along and walk the course, thats good excersie for your back.... and you will get to meet a few other TV members hopefully

It's feeling pretty good now but want to give it some more time. Problem is I work Mon-Fri and will need to use a driving range for a while first, unless you have accident insurance. :o

If you do get set up, post the time you are going to be there and maybe I can leave the uni for a short time and just watch. How long to do a 9-hole par 3 course anyway? I know, how long is a piece of string?

Went for Lanna in the end. Pretty decent course (27 holes), with 18 and a separate 9 on the race course. Paid 2k, including clubs, buggy and caddy for 18 holes - don't ask me why you need a caddy when you have a buggy. Had a few decent drives, one of which got stuck between two small branches of a tree at 270 yards, and good all round, with the exception of my lazy caddy. I'd probably go there again, but as early as possible as it was pretty busy at 11:00 and in the week to boot. May try the Gymkhana at a later date.

Cheers

~

You guys make this sound like a good time if only for the exercise which I sorely need.

My grandfather was the head greenskeeper of a very exclusive golf course in Rhode Island throughout my childhood and introduced me to the game but the last time I have whacked my own little white balls with a club was just before I was institutionalized years ago.. :o

I have to agree with Polecat. He's summed up the place to a tee.

It would be a shame for somewhere with such history to fade away, but the attitute of many members there over the years has led to this. I think the Thai phrase is "som nam nah".

What Gymkhana now reap is what they once sowed.

Well after reading this thread...... I have decided "What the <deleted>, why not!" I can't golf anymore or play any sports anymore, but they have a Bar and Restaurant, this I can do!

Will go to the fund raiser this weekend and see about joining, my membership at the RBSC (long story) probably won't be upheld, besides I live in Chiangmai. :o

Well after reading this thread...... I have decided "What the <deleted>, why not!" I can't golf anymore or play any sports anymore, but they have a Bar and Restaurant, this I can do!

Will go to the fund raiser this weekend and see about joining, my membership at the RBSC (long story) probably won't be upheld, besides I live in Chiangmai. :o

Well put – I have never played golf but do like the idea of yet another place for regular social get togethers and the terrace setting is great. Maybe see you there.

He???

guessing she may know a thing or two about the city life as well if my intuition is correct.

The expat community here is as cliquey as anything. So not surprising there's talk of fiendishly clever plots to capitalise the land and counter allegations of sobriety and no impropriety.

The clique thing here deters me from participating in many ex-pat events. I remember going to a few hashe runs a couple of years ago. I like beer, beer drinkers and girls but i felt completely excluded from the in-group with their service ribbons of 20+ years in CM.

Are folks from Eastern Europe welcome?
Actually, Eastern Europeans are welcome to join but are not permitted entry into the clubhouse, nor can they be seen in the bar on a Thursday.

British members are entitled to full club access, other zones such as "the cage" and the area behind the chemical sheds are reserved for Eastern Europeans and others of that ilk.

These traditions date back to the old Hillpig-Smythe rules from late in the 19th century and cannot be changed without much ado.

Actually, Eastern Europeans are welcome to join but are not permitted entry into the clubhouse, nor can they be seen in the bar on a Thursday.

British members are entitled to full club access, other zones such as "the cage" and the area behind the chemical sheds are reserved for Eastern Europeans and others of that ilk.

These traditions date back to the old Hillpig-Smythe rules from late in the 19th century and cannot be changed without much ado.

See, this is what I thought. Now, what if I took a shower?

And by the way, how was the fund raiser?

See, this is what I thought. Now, what if I took a shower?

And by the way, how was the fund raiser?

Wake up British Morons. This is suppose to be your club. No wonder it is closing!!